Author Topic: Have We Reached the End of Conservatism?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Have We Reached the End of Conservatism?
« on: September 15, 2016, 08:55:18 pm »
By Ben Shapiro
http://www.dailywire.com/news/9165/have-we-reached-end-conservatism-ben-shapiro

Is the conservative movement dead?

The answer, now that Donald Trump is the Republican nominee, seems to be “yes.” That’s according to some who
cheer it and some who seem to lament it. Those who cheer it spring from the so-called alt-right, who have been
insisting for months that conservatism is a “failure” and that it must be replaced with an ethnicity-based white
solidarity movement, and from the Pat Buchanan paleoconservative wing of the party, which believes that free
trade is economic voodoo, immigration from non-European countries is inherently problematic, and isolationism
on foreign policy is the best way to protect the country.

Granting any of these groups leadership in the Republican Party spells disaster for conservatism, obviously –
they’re outright advocates of overthrowing conservatism.

Take the alt-righters, for example. They openly state that they have no interest in conservatism or the Constitution
– the ideas have been tried, and they have failed. The only way to preserve “Western civilization” is by allegiance
to European ethnicity. What sort of “Western civilization” must be preserved? Not limited government; not individual
responsibility; not equality of rights. The alt-right thinks that a white brand of ethnic polarization is the only way
to protect against an invasion of Third Worlders, Muslims, and other undesirables.

The alt-right, needless to say, is thrilled with Trump, who may not share their motivations, but shares many of their
police preferences.

Then there are the Buchananites. The Reagan coalition was famously based on three ideas: strong national defense,
including realist interventionism when necessary; social conservatism; and free market economics, including free
trade. Buchananism is based on opposition to free trade and little focus on reforming entitlements; isolationist national
defense; and strong limits on non-European immigration. The only element Buchananism and Reaganism truly share
is allegiance to traditional marriage and opposition to abortion. That’s why Buchanan couldn’t be happier with Trump
– he’s more Buchanan than Reagan. Among those celebrating the transition from Reaganism to Buchananism is the
author of the famous “Flight 93 election” essay, who wrote in celebration of Trump on precisely these grounds: “Since
Pat Buchanan’s three failures, occasionally a candidate arose who saw one piece: Dick Gephardt on trade, Ron Paul
on war, Tom Tancredo on immigration. Yet, among recent political figures—great statesmen, dangerous demagogues,
and mewling gnats alike—only Trump-the-alleged-buffoon not merely saw all three and their essential connectivity,
but was able to win on them. The alleged buffoon is thus more prudent—more practically wise—than all of our wise-
and-good who so bitterly oppose him.”

Then there are the reluctant conservatives who seem to have surrendered to Trump. These people argue that the Era
of Small Government is over, and that we’re now stuck in an infinite loop of moderate-left candidates running against far-
left candidates. Rush Limbaugh seemed to say this yesterday on his program in praising the political “home run” of
Trump’s new big government maternity leave policy: “Look, bottom line: I am the last person on earth who wants any
expansion of government…I think just for people that are not ideological – which is a hell of a lot of people in this
country. I think they’re going to respond so positively to this, and it’s gonna disappoint a lot of people.”

There may be truth to this. Perhaps we’ve already lost. As early as 2007, George Will wrote that Republicans had to
acknowledge the American desire for “strong government” – i.e. big government. I acknowledged this problem, and wrote
at the time
, “Republicans, therefore, have a double task when it comes to economics: teaching and winning…It is a
tough sell. It will require an articulate politician, and a courageous one – it is always easier to pander than to speak the
truth.” Rush is one of those who has always focused on both teaching and winning; I trust that shrugging off Trump’s
leftism isn’t the first move toward shrugging off the war against big government altogether.

But, starved of presidential victory, pandering has become an easier sell for many on the right. Thus, those who
think that conservatism can never win an election comfort themselves – and small comfort it is – in the legacy of
Teddy Roosevelt and Richard Nixon. James Pinkerton, a fellow I like and a writer I respect, has penned a two-part
Trumpism defense on these shaky grounds. He touts what he calls a “60 percent majority”: “If you think, as I do, that
at least 60 percent of Americans believe that yes, people should be working, that yes, the rich should pay their fair
share, and that yes, the global elites should be respectful of patriotic values, then we’re getting somewhere.” Any
coalition, Pinkerton says, must be built on principles approved by 60 percent of Americans. As examples of such
politicians, he uses Teddy Roosevelt, the anti-business “trustbuster” who ushered in the Progressive Era, including a
bureaucratic government and the income tax, and Richard Nixon, who imposed price and wage controls, created
massive new government bureaucracies, and poisoned the Republican brand. In the process of pushing for such a
“60 percent majority,” he talks about raising taxes to punish companies like Apple for being “scofflaws” and creating
huge new public works programs, as well as rejecting the “invisible hand” of the market in favor of a “‘visible hand’
– that is, direct government action to save our citizens from the perils of idleness and the resulting despair.” And
Pinkerton says Republicans should hijack elements of the Democrat agenda, too.

If this is what victory looks like, what exactly does losing look like for conservatives?

Conservatism will only die when its leading advocates become its detractors. This has been my fear of the Trump
transformation – that in order to defeat Hillary Clinton, Republicans were willing to do anything, including embracing
Hillary-esque policy. That’s happening. It doesn’t have to; there’s a rational position that rejects Trump’s ideas when
they represent leftism, but still supports him over Hillary. That’s Mark Levin’s position, for example: educate about
conservatism while making a lesser-of-two evils choice. There are also those, like me, who refuse to embrace a
Republican candidate who fights against basic conservative principles.

But too many Republicans are so eager for a victory for which they hunger that they are willing to put a stake through
the heart of the cause for which they supposedly fight. If they succeed, victory will turn to ash in their mouths.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Have We Reached the End of Conservatism?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:07:29 pm »
At the State Level; Governors and Legislatures in a number of states, I think it is very healthy.

People dismiss that; and want it on the national level; but some is better than none-at all, thus such prognosis that Conservatism is ending are wrong but it is a matter of concern nonetheless.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:10:07 pm »
Naw. Conservatism doesn't end, it just needs to rebuild and spend some time in the wilderness.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 09:13:33 pm »
At the State Level; Governors and Legislatures in a number of states, I think it is very healthy.

People dismiss that; and want it on the national level; but some is better than none-at all, thus such prognosis that Conservatism is ending are wrong but it is a matter of concern nonetheless.

Obviously it isn't going to come to the White House this time around, either. But the question then becomes
whether it will to Capitol Hill in any appreciable volume; and, if it does, will it solidify and stand, or will it
go the way of the self-immolating Republican Revolution during the George W. Bush years, when so-called
big-government conservatism (I don't know about anyone else, but to me that rings of "promiscuous
celibacy") destroyed that revolution. (And, while it was at it, tilled the field for His Excellency Al-Hashish
Field Marshmallow Dr. Barack Obama Dada, COD, RIP, LSMFT, Would-Have-Been Life President of the
Republic Formerly Known as the United States, to farm . . . )

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 09:29:29 pm »
As we know it, if it is not yet dead, it will be soon.

Too many people are addicted to government benefits for the population to ever become responsible for its own decisions—and free to make those decisions—ever again.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 09:31:55 pm »
It is dead within the Republican Party.  If it can form another party, it is not dead.  Otherwise....

The conservative dark ages where many conservatives have chosen to believe in witches, wizards and magic. However like the dark ages it can birth a Renaissance.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 09:45:41 pm »
As we know it, if it is not yet dead, it will be soon.

Too many people are addicted to government benefits for the population to ever become responsible for its own decisions—and free to make those decisions—ever again.

Today's "conservative" has reached into his heart of hearts, prayed hard, and decided it was high time that
the government cut his
neighbour's benefits.---George F. Will . . . in 1978.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 09:52:17 pm »
Have We Reached the End of Conservatism?

Sorry Ben.

That is like asking the rhetorical question: Have we reached the end of Christianity?

Conservatism is a morality-based way of thinking and behaving - and runs in concert with the biblical heritage our Founders bequeathed us.

Christ Himself said the entire world would hate us for His Name's sake - and persecute us and kill us, which at the end of the age would appear that Christianity is at it's end - but we are told the gates of the grave will not prevail over it.

In the end, we win.

Not by the hands of men. 

Nations collapse and come to ruin when they reach the place this country is arriving at.  That a people eschew the very foundations that established it simply hastens it's destruction - but the mindset and principles remain, even if in the hearts and minds of a handful.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:52:49 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline LMAO

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 11:50:09 am »

For now that seems to be the case. And both candidates are promising more federal benefits for all and it's very discouraging.

However, you cannot avoid mathematical reality forever. You can't just keep going into debt and printing money without consequence for eternity. Even Mr Trump cannot avoid the law of economics
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy