Author Topic: Ted Cruz threatens spending deadlock to protect the Internet  (Read 244 times)

Offline unknown

Ted Cruz threatens spending deadlock to protect the Internet
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:11:58 pm »

Ted Cruz threatens spending deadlock to protect the Internet

Just weeks away from a deadline to transfer US power of the domain-naming system for the Internet to an international body, the senator threatens to stop it with a rider to a spending bill.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ted-cruz-threatens-government-spending-deadlock-to-protect-the-internet/

September 12, 2016
Marguerite Reardon

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is upping the ante in his fight to make sure the US maintains control over the Internet.

The former presidential candidate is meeting with conservative congressional leaders in an effort to block the US Department of Commerce from transferring its oversight of the domain-naming system for the Internet, which is scheduled to happen on October 1. Cruz is threatening to include a rider in a government funding bill to block the transfer of oversight to an international body.

The move could result in another showdown between Republicans and the White House, that could threaten to shut down the government weeks before US elections.

{.. snip ..}

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)