Author Topic: House GOP eyes short term spending bill to avoid shutdown  (Read 342 times)

Online IsailedawayfromFR

House GOP eyes short term spending bill to avoid shutdown
« on: September 12, 2016, 10:17:28 pm »
House Republicans huddled behind closed doors on Friday to map out their strategy for passing an omnibus spending bill before the September 30 deadline.

The consensus that appears to be emerging is to draft a short term bill that would fund the government through December 15.

But a small group of conservatives, backed by the Freedom Caucus, are pushing for a bill that would fund the government through the middle of April.

Politico:

The at-times contentious conference meeting comes just weeks before the government runs out of money on Sept. 30. Republican leaders are adamant that they will not allow the government to shut down in what's proving to be a tough election year for the GOP with Donald Trump at the top of the ticket.

Still, Ryan and his top lieutenants, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), Whip Steve Scalice (R-La.) and Conference Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.), are seeking a path that will garner the support of a majority of his GOP conference. And Friday morning’s meeting showed they still have some work to do.

Ryan opened up the session by going through the pros and cons of both a three-month and six-month continuing resolution. He also floated the idea of passing "mini-bus" spending packages, clustering two or three agency funding bills together at once, rather than a massive omnibus that combines 12 bills to fund the government.

“There’s a realization within the conference that an omnibus is not popular,” House Appropriations Chairman Hal Rogers (R-Ky.) told reporters after the meeting. “The idea is to try to do a few mini-buses that are bite-sized appropriations that we can digest and look at carefully.”

Many lawmakers exiting the meeting liked the pitch, though the conference was not completely unified.

"Some people are for a short-term, some people are for a long term," said Rep. Tim Murphy (R-Pa.), who noted he personally liked the mid-December plan.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/09/house_gop_eyes_short_term_spending_bill_to_avoid_shutdown.html

These people are not leaders, they are punters.

Every time we Americans seek a responsible budget to be debated and voted on, we get a 'short-term continuation'.  This effectively approves 100% of the disastrous and unconstitutional machinations of Obama.

I am sick of the GOP.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline rodamala

Re: House GOP eyes short term spending bill to avoid shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 12:15:12 am »
I only vote for representative candidates that campaign on actually promising to vote to shut it down.  Thusly, I am no longer registerd Republican.

Offline corbe

Re: House GOP eyes short term spending bill to avoid shutdown
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 12:59:03 am »
   I've seen this movie, it drags on and on till the very last minute and some stupid deal is made to avoid shutdown and happiness abounds for everyone, particularly Network execs and their ratings.

All Common Sense and Logic is abandoned and the American Taxpayer is screwed and tattooed, again.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.