Author Topic: Dumping Dolphins  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Dumping Dolphins
« on: September 12, 2016, 06:33:33 pm »
The author is two-time Pulitzer Prize winning political cartoonist, Michael Ramirez.

Michael P. Ramirez
Facebook
September 12, 2016

DUMPING DOLPHINS
I have to say, after the pathetic display by the Miami Dolphins yesterday - and I'm not just talking about their usual pathetic play on the field, but rather, the silly seated protest during the national anthem - I am sad to say, the time may have come to finally hang up my fins.

To be completely fair, I must confess, I actually stopped watching professional football almost two decades ago... Don't get me wrong, I am still a longtime Dolphin fan... It's just they haven't played professional football since 2002.

I remember the golden days of the Dolphins, Don Shula and the '71, '72, '73, '82 and '84 Super Bowl teams, the two Super Bowl wins. The '72 perfect season, 14-0! The no name defense directed by Bill Arnsparger and led by Nick Buoniconti, with Bill Stanfill, Manny Fernandez, Dick Anderson and Jake Scott. The power offense fueled by Larry Czonka, Mercury Morris and Jim Kiik, and reinforced in the air by Bob Griese and Earl Morrall, to Paul Warfield, Howard Twilley and Marlin Briscoe.

The post WFL reconstruction with the Killer Bees led by Bob Baumhower, Doug Betters, Kim Bokamper, Charles Bowser, Bob Brudzinski, and the Blackwood boys.

The Marino era and the air attack led by the incomparable Dan Marino and the dueling Marks, Mark Clayton and Mark Duper, with supporting roles by Nat Moore, Jimmy Cefalo, and Jim Jensen and then the defense with Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor.

Awe, the good old days... It was a time when Dolphins made a bold statement on the field instead of on their butts.

And now, the current era.... Sitting on the bench during the national anthem.. if it wasn't for the what the national anthem stands for, most of these guys deserve to be permanently sitting on a bench. Pathetic.

I'm all for anyone exercising their constitutional right all they want. I'm a big proponent of the first amendment. We've discussed the idea that stupid people have to the right to be stupid. It's what makes America great. But enough about the election.

These players are celebrities. They have access to media all the time. We are used to them mouthing off on and off the field, in front of cameras and prosecutors. They have a right to do so, even during the national anthem.

But the national anthem represents all the rest of us. Have some decency and decorum.

I know you're a bunch of pampered quadrillionaires and it is so difficult to fight the oppressive nature of not having all the green m&ms sorted out of your snack packs while you luxuriate in your private jets, hot tubs and opulent hotel suites. The wrong caviar? I understand. Such oppression.

Our eyes and wallets are what pays your salary. You want to disrespect us? Let's return the favor.

If the NFL does not want to honor our National Anthem by allowing players to continue to display such ignorance and show a total lack of respect to the American people and our great country, then let's take a pass on watching the NFL.

You see, the NFL could easily ban this contemptuous behavior - the sitting during the national anthem, not the pathetic Dolphin performance on the field. Fine them. Let the players put some real skin in the game.

If you want to be disrespectful to our country, to our flag, to your fellow citizens, to your fans, then put your money where your big fat.. er, mouth is. I'm sure these overpaid celebrity athletes can afford it. The money can go to charities that are actually doing something more than sitting down to help blighted communities.

Then everyone can return to watching professional football. The players can defy the NFL rules and continue to protest and we can all continue to say they're a bunch of spoiled rotten babies but at least appreciate that they must really believe in the protest to shell out that kind of dough or more likely, continue to think they get paid way too much for far too little. Communities will get an infusion of well spent and well needed money.

I'm sure the Lamborghini dealerships, bling shops, bail bondsmen and defense lawyers will be in a state of mourning.

I'll turn the TV back on, I'll put my Dolphin jersey back on and.... I'll continue to skip watching professional football.

Like every Miami Dolphin fan, I haven't watched it for years.

-m

Source

Offline goatprairie

Re: Dumping Dolphins
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 10:01:25 pm »
The irony of the whole thing is that it's a good bet most of the protesters would be working minimum wage jobs if not for the U.S.A and pro football. Undoubtedly, the idiots have no idea of the situation they're in. They were never slaves and never oppressed. Moreover, if they want to protest, they should  protest the 6000-7000 black males killed every year by other black males instead of the few cases per year where a leo killing a black male might not be justified.
I say, they should protest by quitting their jobs and seeking employment elsewhere....see what kind of a life they end up living.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:16:51 pm »
Oh. A sports thread.

I thought they were going to put them back in the tuna...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 12:43:14 am »
Oh. A sports thread.

This is both a sports thread and a political thread.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 12:47:33 am »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 12:49:16 am »
This is both a sports thread and a political thread.
Sorry, I realized that taxpayers build massive stadiums at their expense, then go spend a fortune to sit in a seat just below oxygen assist levels, and some crony of the local pols pockets a fortune if he plays his cards right. I haven't paid much attention to pro sports since the Colts were playing in Baltimore and they hadn't used an 'X' in the number for the super bowl. To each their own, just not for me.

Anyway, I went back and caught the first paragraph. I didn't consider any of these folks who got the best of everything in college for being able to play a game 'heroes' then (unless they actually did something 'heroic'), but sitting down for the national anthem? Maybe they need a regular job (if they can find one).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:51:59 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 12:49:56 am »
Takes a knee for National Anthem..

Drops game winning pass while wide open.

Priceless!!!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 12:52:39 am »
Sorry, I realized that taxpayers build massive stadiums at their expense, then go spend a fortune to sit in a seat just below oxygen assist levels, and some crony of the local pols pockets a fortune if he plays his cards right. I haven't paid much attention to pro sports since the Colts were playing in Baltimore and they hadn't used an 'X' in the number for the super bowl. To each their own, just not for me.

You're not alone. I'm no longer a sports fan. Also, I'm against taxpayer funded sports venues.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 01:03:51 am »
Meanwhile, back at Dallas...

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 02:07:31 am »
Emulate John Lilly and set the dolphins free.