Author Topic: Gators Football legend Tim Tebow signs with New York Mets  (Read 1615 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Gators Football legend Tim Tebow signs with New York Mets
« on: September 08, 2016, 02:19:29 pm »
SOURCE: ORLANDO SENTINEL

URL: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/swamp-things-blog/os-tim-tebow-new-york-mets-20160908-story.html

by:    Edgar Thompson

Tim Tebow's baseball career has begun.

The former Florida Gators football star has signed a contract with the New York Mets, the team announced Thursday morning following a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Tebow, 29, will begin his professional career in either Arizona Fall League or Instructional League.

The 2007 Heisman-winning quarterback trained for the past year in Arizona and California. He held a workout Aug. 30 in Los Angeles for Major League Baseball teams and earned mixed reviews.

More than 12 years since he last played baseball at St. Augustine Nease, Tebow showed impressive speed and power at the plate, until he faced live pitching, according to reports.

Tebow hit eight balls over the fence at USC's Dedeaux Field during batting practice. But he did not connect on much against former major league relievers Chad Smith and David Aardsma.

Tebow ran the 60-yard dash and was clocked in a range of 6.65 to 6.82 seconds - above-average speed especially at 6-foot-3, 255 pounds.

Playing right field, Tebow caught every ball hit his way but graded out average at best with his throwing skills.

"I thought he was OK. Better than I expected, to be honest," one major league scout told USA TODAY on condition of anonymity. "For not having played as long as he had, I thought he did OK.

"That's a big dude, for as fast as he can run. The power was impressive, but I wish he could have translated it maybe a little better (against live pitching)."

A year ago, Tebow was in training camp for the Philadelphia Eagles, but did not make the team, effectively ending his NFL career after stints with four teams during five seasons.

Offline SirLinksALot

Re: Gators Football legend Tim Tebow signs with New York Mets
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 02:21:21 pm »
The sports news world's obsession with following Tim Tebow's career is really astonishing to me.

Any other player who fails to make any NFL team would have already dropped off the news map in obscurity, yet, here they are, still following the career of this man....

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 02:41:19 pm »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 02:46:48 pm »
Tebow will never play major league ball.  Hitting a 100 MPH fastball is the most difficult achievement in sports and he's been out of baseball way too long to be able to hit major league pitching.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 02:49:27 pm »
Tebow will never play major league ball.  Hitting a 100 MPH fastball is the most difficult achievement in sports and he's been out of baseball way too long to be able to hit major league pitching.
I agree, but if the Mets want him on the roster a while (to boost attendance at a few minor league games or for whatever reason), makes no difference to me.

He may not have been a particularly good NFL QB, but he did manage to beat the Steelers in a playoff game while with Denver.   :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 02:50:54 pm »
I wish him well.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 02:52:07 pm »
Tim is a good guy  hope he does well.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 03:50:59 pm »
Tim Tebow signs with New York Mets
Published September 08, 2016 FoxNews.com

The New York Mets signed former Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow to a minor league contract on Thursday, the team announced in a press release.

The 29-year-old Tebow, who held a workout for scouts and evaluators from 28 major league organizations last month, will play in the Instructional League, and could also be sent to the Arizona Fall League, ESPN’s Adam Schefter tweeted.

Though he hasn’t played competitive baseball since high school, Tebow impressed some scouts with his raw power and bat speed during the August workout. He played the outfield during the showcase. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal said there were about eight teams in the mix for Tebow. Atlanta Braves General Manager John Coppolella this week publicly expressed an interest in signing Tebow.

more
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/09/08/tim-tebow-to-sign-with-mets-reports-say.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 04:06:22 am »
The reason he signed with the Mets: the Mets were the only team among the ten
who were ready to offer him a contract who were willing to allow him to continue
his television work.

Beyond that, I can't imagine what the Mets saw in him beyond the obvious
publicity value. From what I saw of that well-publicised workout he had in front
of a pack of baseball scouts, he was rated cumulatively as

* Having long ball power so long as you threw him batting practise speed stuff;
several scouts said he didn't suggest that he'd be able to hit the long ball consis-
tently against stuff thrown at higher than A-level minor league ball. And, unfor-
tunately, in the Show right now there's only one Bartolo Colon . . .

* Having a weak throwing arm playing deeper outfield positioning but a passable
one playing more shallow. (Not good if you need to be playing deeper against
the other guys' big boppers or opposite-field line drivers.)

* Having questionable baserunning speed. (Put it this way: It was said of Tebow as
a football player that his skill set was really more appropriate to a halfback or even
a tight end than a quarterback, but just try telling a halfback or tight end to steal
bases on major league catchers' throwing arms and see how soon you'll have to
post his bail money for each arrest on the basepaths.)

* Seeming to care more about his television career than any baseball career, something
Tebow himself ultimately admitted.
Which means he won't even be able to make a firm commitment to playing instructional
league ball, never mind playing to a level that might inspire the Mets to invite him
to spring training next February. (In fairness, Tebow does have a rep as being
good at his television analysis job, and you don't get that by just showing up to
work and strapping a mike on.)

For the record: Around ten percent of all minor leaguers ever make it to the majors as
it is. And those guys put a 24/7 commitment to the game in even to get no further than
Triple-A level. If Tim Tebow thinks he can make it to the majors while making perhaps
less than half that kind of commitment, he may be in for an even more rude awakening
than any he got playing in the NFL.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:16:44 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 06:48:38 pm »

Beyond that, I can't imagine what the Mets saw in him beyond the obvious
publicity value.

OK, someone explain to me please why Tim Tebow has publicity value over so many others who tried out and failed to make it to the NFL....

If he were someone like Michael Jordan or Tom Brady, I'd understand, but why him?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 06:49:11 pm by SirLinksALot »

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 08:05:58 pm »
OK, someone explain to me please why Tim Tebow has publicity value over so many others who tried out and failed to make it to the NFL....

If he were someone like Michael Jordan or Tom Brady, I'd understand, but why him?

Because the press has always wanted Tebow to fail from moment he was drafted...maybe even before then.   His story was not one the godless like to promote in a positive light.  Now had he been born of a 15 year old ghetto black crack whore and survived a back ally abortion that left him missing a hand and then managed to make it big....yeah they would have pulled for him.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 11:10:19 pm »
Because the press has always wanted Tebow to fail from moment he was drafted...maybe even before then.   His story was not one the godless like to promote in a positive light.  Now had he been born of a 15 year old ghetto black crack whore and survived a back ally abortion that left him missing a hand and then managed to make it big....yeah they would have pulled for him.

I thought at first the press was largely intrigued by him and wanting him to do well, considering
the element that normally crawls in and out of the NF(elony)L. (Even the most hardened in the press
had to be thinking, well, at least we don't have to cover this guy via the police blotter first.)
I think it was only when the so-called Tebowmania erupted in earnest at the same time the flaws in
his game were coming far more into light that the press began to cool on him---particularly after his
experience with the Jets. They didn't seem to dislike him as a person but they did seem to think
(appropriately) that he just wasn't cut out to be a full-time NFL quarterback.

What's most troublesome about Tebow now isn't his person, it's his priorities. He's come right out
and said it---his first priority is his television work (at which he's said to be very, very good), and
it's difficult if not impossible to wonder just how far he'll actually go in professional baseball without
the kind of commitment that keeps guys in the minors still plugging after several years, never mind
the tiny percentage who do develop enough to play major league baseball. He doesn't seem even
to have Jeff Francoeur's kind of commitment to the game so far. So why would the Mets sign him?

I say it again: Because they were the only one of ten interested major league organisations willing
to let him continue his TV work in hand.

Plus he's Tim Tebow. And he's still good for a publicity shot in the arm, however short lasting it
might be.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 11:28:08 pm »

He knelt down and said a prayer in the end zone.

And the Evangelicals went wild.

He couldn't make it in the NFL and will not ever play major league baseball for all the very incisive reasons Easy Ace has said.  Major League Baseball is the single hardest sport to play, no matter what people think.  It takes an innate skill, coordination, and strength that 99.8% of all males IN THE ENTIRE WORLD simply don't possess.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 02:22:02 am »
He won the Heisman trophy and won a lot of football games. He has gone on countless missions of mercy (for those of you not offended by his Christian faith). He is a well known personality,  and I suspect the Mets thought this would draw some attention to their minor league club. It's their money, so is any of us bent out of shape over this!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 02:29:59 am »
He won the Heisman trophy and won a lot of football games. He has gone on countless missions of mercy (for those of you not offended by his Christian faith). He is a well known personality,  and I suspect the Mets thought this would draw some attention to their minor league club. It's their money, so is any of us bent out of shape over this!

Nobody's bent out of shape.  As Easy Aces has said, his best bet would be to focus on his broadcasting career.  He's very good at that.