Author Topic: Can Donald Trump turn Texas blue?  (Read 917 times)

HonestJohn

Can Donald Trump turn Texas blue?
« on: September 10, 2016, 05:53:07 am »
http://www.economist.com/node/21706472

Sep 7th 2016, 11:56 BY E.G.

AT THE beginning of the 2016 election cycle, Republican strategists had little reason to question whether the 38 electoral college votes in Texas—the biggest red state in America—would eventually go to their party’s nominee. The last Democratic presidential candidate to carry the state in a general election was Jimmy Carter, in 1976; four years ago Mitt Romney won the state by a 12-point margin. It has been more than 20 years since Texas voters elected a Democrat to any major state office, and the 2014 mid-term elections offered no evidence that the Republican Party's hegemonic hold on power is weakening. Some Democrats had convinced themselves that shifting demographics meant it had to be, only to be cruelly disappointed. Republicans once again won all the major state-wide contests-by roughly 20 points, rather than the usual 10 or 12.

So many were surprised on September 6th when an online survey by the Washington Post showed Hillary Clinton ahead in the state, leading Donald Trump by one point.

The notion that Democrats have a chance at winning the state is less absurd than it might appear. It would be wrong to dismiss the results of recent elections, but it would be equally foolish to ignore the idiosyncrasies of the present campaigns. The new poll is not the first to suggest the possibility of a big surprise in Texas: last month, a survey by Public Policy Polling found Clinton trailing Trump by a mere six points. In the 2016 presidential election, it would appear, the question is not whether Democrats can turn Texas blue; it is whether Donald Trump will do so.

Looked at from that perspective it is easy to see why Democrats may now have an unanticipated opening in the state. Mr Trump has never been hugely popular with the state’s Republican leaders or voters. He received no significant endorsements prior to the Texas primary, in March, which he lost, by a 17-point margin, to the state’s junior senator, Ted Cruz. Since then, most Texas Republicans seem to have stoically united behind their party’s presidential nominee; few have declined to do so as explicitly as Mr Cruz did at the Republican National Convention in July. But it is not surprising that there are a sizeable number of Texas Republican voters who have lingering objections to Mr Trump’s bid for the presidency. Polling has found him underperforming in a number of red states, and it is natural that Texas should be among them. The state, which is famous for favouring Republicans, has many deeply conservative voters. On key issues like trade and immigration, Mr Trump is starkly at odds with state tradition.

Few of Mr Trump’s Texan supporters, meanwhile, seem to be applying themselves to the task of rallying the troops with much enthusiasm. “It’s a bitter pill to swallow, you know?” said George P. Bush, the Texas Land Commissioner, during a meeting of conservative activists last month; all the same, he continued, one must endeavour to stop Mrs Clinton.

The Hispanic vote offers a particularly stark illustration of the difficulties faced by Republicans in Texas in 2016. In the past, Republicans in the state have not lost Hispanic voters by blistering margins. That is in part because they have tended to avoid making sweeping indictments of Mexicans and Mexican-Americans, or supporting presidential candidates who peddle such views. The opportunity the Republican Party has offered Democrats this year is historic. There is no way of telling whether they will be able to take it. But it is increasingly hard to insist that it would be futile for them to try.

More here

Offline LMAO

Re: Can Donald Trump turn Texas blue?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 11:44:52 am »
No.

If a Zell Miller type Democrat was running, maybe. But Hillary Clinton isn't going to take Texas.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 12:40:52 pm »
That the question is even being asked shows how pathetic Trump is.  Among my very conservative acquaintances, nobody is voting for Trump.  Either not voting for the top of the ticket (like me) or for Gary Johnson.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 03:50:54 pm »
I'm in Texas, spouse is voting Johnson, I am leaning constitution party write in.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 03:59:22 pm »
    NO WAY~!!!

Even with the large cities (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin) and the Rio Grande Valley voting Solid DEM, there's still to many Patriots out in the sticks to overcome that.

Texas ain't even purple yet, in spite of the GOP's best efforts, Romney, Trump.

In 2020, after 4 years of hellary or trump it may turn purple, though.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Axel

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 04:00:51 pm »
Texas will not turn blue anytime soon, but it could in the future if illegal immigration continues unabated.
"The Gutter Rat's going to continue to trash Romney, and Romney's going to tell the country why he should be president.

And Romney is going to win" - Sinkspur's incredible insight into the 2012 election

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 04:19:53 pm »
Texas will not turn blue anytime soon, but it could in the future if illegal immigration continues unabated.

Agree. There is no chance Texas will award Hitlery their electoral votes- this year at least. With the leftist efforts to eliminate voter ID and citizenship requirements for voting, there is concern for the future.
Principles matter. Words matter.