Author Topic: Breaking: Donald Trump promises to repeal church-muzzling Johnson Amendment  (Read 856 times)

Offline unknown

Breaking: Donald Trump promises to repeal church-muzzling Johnson Amendment

"Our media culture often mocks and demeans people of faith,” whose “values of love, charity and faith built this nation.”

http://canadafreepress.com/article/breaking-donald-trump-promises-to-repeal-church-muzzling-johnson-amendment

Matthew Vadum
September 9, 2016

Republican candidate Donald Trump pledged at the Values Voter Summit in Washington, D.C., to repeal the Johnson Amendment.

“We’re gonna get rid of it,” Trump said.

“I figure it’s the only way I’ll get into heaven,” he quipped.

The Johnson Amendment is a circa 1954 amendment to the U.S. tax code that blocked tax-exempt organizations from endorsing or opposing political candidates. Evangelicals and other people of faith object to the law because it prevents churches—along with other tax-exempt institutions—from political organizing.

“All section 501(c)(3) organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office,” according to the IRS website. “Violating this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes.”

This isn’t the first time on the campaign trail Trump has vowed to dump the law.  The campaign was pushing for it during the Republican National Convention in Cleveland in July.

{..snip..}
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:18:38 pm by unknown »

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Breaking: Donald Trump promises to repeal church-muzzling Johnson Amendment
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 10:25:47 pm »
How does he plan on doing that when the Executive has no authority or power to repeal the tax code?

Is he going to just threaten and bully - or is this just another *suggestion* he is using to bamboozle the ignorant sheep who have no idea how the rule of law and the separation of powers works?

I'm going with the latter.

Irrelevant really when once considers the fact that our own government today has stated that "Religious Liberty" is evil, and those who refer to it are bigots and homophobes pushing Christian supremacy.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline unknown

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 10:45:23 pm »

Irrelevant really when once considers the fact that our own government today has stated that "Religious Liberty" is evil, and those who refer to it are bigots and homophobes pushing Christian supremacy.

Well, I guess that is where we are today. And who will, or who will not, enforce the "Religious Liberty" is evil stance.

Hillary has said very clearly that she will use the power of the government to force Christians to go against their beliefs.

But Bob Hope said it best,

As Bob Hope said, "I’ve just flown in from California, where they’ve made homosexuality legal. I thought I’d get out before they make it mandatory.”

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:48:44 pm »
Trump is just pandering.  He can't repeal it on his own and there will be enough Democrats in the Senate to stop him.

Yeah. That's just what we need.  MORE politics in church. 

No thanks.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 10:57:03 pm »
Well, I guess that is where we are today. And who will, or who will not, enforce the "Religious Liberty" is evil stance.

Hillary has said very clearly that she will use the power of the government to force Christians to go against their beliefs.

Sure she will.

But she is an enemy we clearly see and know, much easier to defy and resist than someone in your own ranks who is not from your ranks, and pretends to be on your side and does worse than the enemy by adopting and forcing upon you the very things you assumed they would oppose.

We already did that with the Republicans in the Senate.

I'm not stupid enough to do it again by voting for a lifelong NY liberal Democrat running on the R side.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline bilo

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 11:01:31 pm »
How does he plan on doing that when the Executive has no authority or power to repeal the tax code?

Is he going to just threaten and bully - or is this just another *suggestion* he is using to bamboozle the ignorant sheep who have no idea how the rule of law and the separation of powers works?

I'm going with the latter.

If he can't get a law passed he can have the IRS write a rule that eliminates it. It sounds impossible, but unelected bureaucrats have been doing this for quite awhile. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:02:09 pm by bilo »
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline unknown

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 11:11:59 pm »
Sure she will.

But she is an enemy we clearly see and know, much easier to defy and resist than someone in your own ranks who is not from your ranks, and pretends to be on your side and does worse than the enemy by adopting and forcing upon you the very things you assumed they would oppose.

We already did that with the Republicans in the Senate.

I'm not stupid enough to do it again by voting for a lifelong NY liberal Democrat running on the R side.

I generally agree with what you have said. But looking at the last 8 years of Obama has proven that Obama has achieved all that he desires, the R's have been worthless. And with the Supreme Court picks, that will ensure a lifetime of Hillary!

And, there is no guarantee of having a R majority. We could end up at anytime with a D majority. Hillary will get what she wants, regardless.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:14:28 pm by unknown »