Author Topic: House Democrats Release Emails Between Colin Powell and Hillary Clinton Showing Advice He Gave Her  (Read 692 times)

Offline Vulcan

House Democrats on Wednesday released email correspondence between Colin Powell and Hillary Clinton after she became secretary of state, in which they discussed the use of personal email and devices.

In the in January 2009 email exchange, Clinton asks the former secretary of state about restrictions in using a Blackberry, and Powell responded with how he used a land line to get around State Department rules.

"I didn't have a Blackberry," Powell said in the email. "What I did was have a personal computer that was hooked up to a private phone line (sounds ancient). So I could communicate with a wide range of friends directly without it going through the State Department servers. I even used it to do business with some foreign leaders and some of the senior folks in the Department on their personal email accounts. I did the same thing on the road in hotels."

The emails were released by Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Maryland, a ranking member of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. Cummings said he procured the documents through a procedure that allows members of the committee to obtain federal records.

Clinton's use of a private email server has become a major issue in the presidential campaign. The FBI said in July that there is no evidence Clinton committed a crime, and recommended no charges. Clinton has said using a private email server was a mistake.

--continued--

Cummings, of the House committee, said the email exchange shows Powell advised Clinton on how to use private email as secretary of state, and proves Clinton wasn't the only person in that position to do so.

Powell has said that his use of a private email account was different than Clinton's use of a private emails server in her home.

Related: Condoleezza Rice Aides, Colin Powell Also Got Classified Info on Personal Email

More recently, Powell told People magazine in August that Clinton's team has been trying to "pin" Clinton's use of a private email server and the controversy on him.

In that interview Powell said Clinton had already been using a private email address for a year before he mentioned it to her.

more here

Offline Vulcan

The "He did it too" defense is puerile.   But Elijah Cummings is trying to do his share to help Hillary bring down the country.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
What do you expect from a "General" that proudly voted for Obama twice?

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Oceander

The he-did-it-too excuse is generally not a defense to criminal guilt, so I really don't see the relevance of what Powell did or did not do, to what Clinton did.  All this really does is make the Department of State look worse and worse.

Offline Vulcan

What do you expect from a "General" that proudly voted for Obama twice?

You mean a "General" who prefers skin color over principle?

I never liked Powell so I would expect no less. 

Offline Vulcan

Not to mention the fact that as technology advances, the necessary security defenses change.  That many years between their service is forever in the world of technology.

That applies to both offense and defense.

Hackers are far more advanced now than they were when Powell was SoS.