Author Topic: Taking Ted Cruz Seriously  (Read 3957 times)

Offline unknown

Taking Ted Cruz Seriously
« on: September 07, 2016, 06:35:03 pm »

Taking Ted Cruz Seriously

What does 'vote your conscience' mean for conservatives?

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/taking-ted-cruz-seriously/

Laura Ingraham
07 Sep 2016

At this year’s GOP convention, Ted Cruz famously urged the delegates — and all Republicans: “If you love our country, and love our children as much as you do, stand, and speak, and vote your conscience. Vote for candidates up and down the ticket who you trust to defend our freedom, and to be faithful to the constitution.” Many observers saw this statement as an implied attack on Donald Trump, and Cruz was booed vigorously as a result. But let’s take Sen. Cruz seriously. In the 2016 election, what should a conservative do who loves his or her children and his or her country? What does your conscience suggest?

OK, how should a disappointed conservative choose between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump? The best approach would be to draw upon the concept of prudence. In other words, make a careful assessment of life under a Clinton presidency, and life under a Trump presidency. Let's assume that the worst of what you believe about Trump is correct. Let's ignore the fact that he repeatedly argues for lower taxes, that he has identified conservatives whom he would put on the Supreme Court, that he picked a conservative running mate, and all of the other things he has said and done indicating a preference for conservative policies. Even assuming for the sake of argument that none of those promises are valid, and that Trump would devote his entire presidency to advancing harmful policies, what would happen? In the first place, he would face unrelenting scrutiny from a press corps that hates him. Any scandal involving his administration would receive vast publicity. Any mistakes would be magnified by a hostile media. Any illegality — or alleged illegality — would be met with calls for impeachment.

Unfortunately, those factors will not limit Hillary Clinton. She has the Democratic Party in her pocket — her only serious primary opponent was Bernie Sanders, who is not a Democrat. Most of the members of the mainstream press are simply her puppets, and would do whatever was necessary to avoid putting her re-election at risk. Similarly, once Hillary Clinton has five liberals on the Supreme Court — and she will have five liberals on the Supreme Court — she can interpret any statute or re-write any regulation as she sees fit, and there's nothing anyone could do about it. What if Hillary Clinton uses the IRS to go after her political enemies? The press would cover it up, and the courts would do nothing to stop her. What if she uses the FBI to spy on people she doesn't like? The press would cover it up, and the courts would do nothing to stop her.

That’s the world you will wake up to on Nov. 9 … a world where your constitutional rights, your state and local governments, and your country’s military would all be in the hands of a single angry liberal.

In short, when you apply the Cruz test to this election, it is clear that conservatives of good conscience can and should support Donald Trump. Indeed, failure to do so will put our entire political system — with all of the civil liberties we hold dear — at risk. I urge those conservatives who are concerned about Trump to think very, very carefully about this election, and work with the rest of us to defeat Hillary Clinton.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 06:35:52 pm by unknown »

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline Just_Victor

Re: Taking Ted Cruz Seriously
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 06:57:19 pm »
In short, when you apply the Cruz test to this election, it is clear that conservatives of good conscience can and should support Donald Trump.

And why Trump supporters insist that Cruz intended his statement to mean otherwise is beyond me.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 06:59:59 pm »
Its too bad that rather than advising use of the standard articulated by the only constitutional conservative to run this cycle, and thus leverage his considerable integrity, Ingraham didn't just support said constitutional conservative in the first place.

It'll be a long time before I forgive those who slandered this man.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 07:10:48 pm »
That’s the world you will wake up to on Nov. 9 … a world where your constitutional rights, your state and local governments, and your country’s military would all be in the hands of a single angry liberal.

Yeah, that's right... no matter which major candidate gets in...
Which is why I will be voting for Castle.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 07:17:44 pm »
Yeah, that's right... no matter which major candidate gets in...
Which is why I will be voting for Castle.

Besides, her statement is inaccurate.

For the past twenty years liberal presidents & congresspeople have so infested all levels of government with radical appointees and unelected bureaucrats to carry their agenda forward - and republicans have done nothing to stop them - that it now does not matter who the president is.

I'm afraid America passed the Rubicon years ago.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 07:27:11 pm »
I am undecided right now.  To the best of my knowledge Cruz has not applied to be a write in candidate on the ballots; so therefore a write-in vote for Cruz would not be counted and only be a symbolic vote; though my gut tells me he is going to receive a very significant amount of votes.

I do know that the Constitution Party has qualified and is on the ballot in FL that would be my other choice.

I'm not 100% sure right now which way I'm going to vote.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 07:41:17 pm »
For the past twenty years liberal presidents & congresspeople have so infested all levels of government with radical appointees and unelected bureaucrats to carry their agenda forward - and republicans have done nothing to stop them - that it now does not matter who the president is.

Exactly right - Liberalism is winning, but not on merit... It is winning because it has no opposition.
Such is the result of 'lesser evil' thinking.

Those that blindly associate Conservatism with the Republican Party are woefully mistaken.

geronl

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 07:48:18 pm »
Trump is a devout anti-conservative. He hates conservatives with a purple passion.

There is no good reason a conservative would vote for Trump.

Attacks on Ted is just one proof of it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 07:54:51 pm »
I am undecided right now.  To the best of my knowledge Cruz has not applied to be a write in candidate on the ballots; so therefore a write-in vote for Cruz would not be counted and only be a symbolic vote; though my gut tells me he is going to receive a very significant amount of votes.

I do know that the Constitution Party has qualified and is on the ballot in FL that would be my other choice.

I'm not 100% sure right now which way I'm going to vote.

I'm not! I will not vote for either Hillary or Trump in this election EVER! 

The more Gary Johnson talks the more likely I am to write in Darrell Castle!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 07:56:58 pm »
Exactly right - Liberalism is winning, but not on merit... It is winning because it has no opposition.
Such is the result of 'lesser evil' thinking.

Those that blindly associate Conservatism with the Republican Party are woefully mistaken.

I took the liberty of making that big enough so everyone can see it with ease!  RIGHT ON!  Perfectly stated!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 08:59:34 pm »
I took the liberty of making that big enough so everyone can see it with ease!  RIGHT ON!  Perfectly stated!

I didn't need my spectacles.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 09:04:03 pm »

Constitution Party is really making some progress!!

https://www.constitutionparty.com/get-involved/election-central/ballot-access/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 09:37:28 pm »
As usual, Ted Cruz continues to live rent-free in the Trump caucus's head.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 11:09:39 pm »

The fact that they sat and smiled politely as Trump accused Rafael Cruz of being involved in the JFK assassination sacrificed whatever journalistic credibility any of them ever had.

Its pretty bad that Jake Tapper at CNN was the first to call BS on the claim. Then to make matters worse, when Blitzer asked Trump about it he (Trump) admitted that he didn't believe it but he wanted to win. The clowns who sat politely smiling continued to do so.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 11:14:47 pm »

Yep.

Actually, I am a down ballot voter this year.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 01:39:57 am »
Now that's a turn for the record.  How many names have I seen Cruz called by Trump supporters  (including traitor)?  Now the argument is that voting as Cruz called on his listeners to vote means we should vote for Trump.  So why all the Cruz hate and venom?   

Is someone going to post this on TOS?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:45:49 am by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline EtX

• Ready for Trump
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 01:44:11 am »
And why Trump supporters insist that Cruz intended his statement to mean otherwise is beyond me.
tRump and trumpbots needed a strawman to beat up, Cruz was the last standing and posed a real danger to tRump's goals. tRump mistakenly thought staying on Cruz would help him, when in reality it has solidly tarnished tRump instead of Cruz.

As a diehard Cruz supporter, I now prescribe to the analogy of "with hitlery its like playing Russian Roulette with a semi-auto, at least with tRump we get to spin the cylinder which have some empties".
Lord help America if hitlery somehow gets elected.

Silver Pines

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 03:13:50 am »
Ingraham mocked Cruz in her convention speech, but now she's going to try and use him to coax NeverTrumpers to vote for her sleaze candidate.  She's thinking we'll be ripe for the picking because of Mark Levin's admission..all she has to do, she believes, is use the name of Cruz and his supporters will fall magically into line.  Well, she's hardly subtle, and she can step off.

I can tell her without reservation that my conscience isn't "suggesting" anything.  Rather, it's been screaming at me from the beginning to stay the hell away from Donald Trump.  And away I shall stay.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 03:22:19 am »
This woman is an idiot that has pour all her hopes and dreams into an empty suit. Fine for her but not for me.

BTW, what is with the Trumpettes fetish with Ted Cruz? He is "Lyin' Ted" after all. Donny said that he is a worthless turd. Why do they so desperately want his endorsement?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 03:30:24 am »
OK, how should a disappointed conservative choose between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump? The best approach would be to draw upon the concept of prudence.

Oh great.  Another apostate telling us to essentially convert to Islam now and repent later.

Sorry lady, prudence before principles means you have no character, no core and someone who can be bought and sold for any price.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Silver Pines

Offline Applewood

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 08:08:16 am »
This woman is an idiot that has pour all her hopes and dreams into an empty suit. Fine for her but not for me.

BTW, what is with the Trumpettes fetish with Ted Cruz? He is "Lyin' Ted" after all. Donny said that he is a worthless turd. Why do they so desperately want his endorsement?

From what I can tell from Trump supporters on Facebook and elsewhere, Trump needs to have everyone kneel and worship him.  His Mack Truck-size ego can't stand that Ted Cruz and others  will not kiss his ring.   

Trumpies also believe that an endorsement from Cruz will bring Trump votes from Ted Cruz supporters.  They're wrong.  An endorsement from Ted Cruz will only serve to alienate Cruz's supporters, and Cruz needs their votes if he wants to win re-election to the Senate.  Cruz is a smart man.  I can't believe he would be foolish enough to risk losing his supporters by endorsing Trump. 

Trump appears to be mentally ill.  He has an unhealthy obsession with Ted Cruz and anyone else who refuses to vote for or support him.  That obsession has been adopted by many of the Trumpies too. So much has been made of Hilary's alleged health issues.  When will there be questions about Trump's health, physical and mental?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:20:00 am by Applewood »

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 10:24:23 am »

As a diehard Cruz supporter, I now prescribe to the analogy of "with hitlery its like playing Russian Roulette with a semi-auto, at least with tRump we get to spin the cylinder which have some empties".
Lord help America if hitlery somehow gets elected.

As I said to a friend the other day:  so our choices are one candidate who in all likelihood will turn out to be a maniacal Nazi or the other candidate who really wants to be a maniacal Nazi.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 03:40:08 pm »

Yes, I feel the same way.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 03:51:02 pm »

Word.  And...Trump fans still do.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: