Author Topic: I Was Forced to Join a Union  (Read 781 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I Was Forced to Join a Union
« on: September 05, 2016, 01:29:30 pm »
 I Was Forced to Join a Union
As a condition of my employment as a professor at George Washington University, I must pay the SEIU every month.
By Diana Furchtgott-Roth — September 5, 2016

This Labor Day the good news is that I have been appointed as an adjunct professor of economics at George Washington University. I’ll be teaching a seminar in labor economics and public policy.

The bad news is that as a condition of my employment, I must become a card-carrying, dues-paying member of the Service Employees International Union Local 500 — or pay the SEIU an agency fee in order to get out of membership. The letter from Provost Forrest Maltzman tells me that “failure to pay dues or agency fees may result in termination.”

My hiring letter includes a form that I am required to sign. On the form, I must give the SEIU my home address, home phone, alternate phone, and e-mail address. In addition to paying dues, I have to give the union personal information such as where I live and how to contact me.

Further, I need to “authorize and request my Employer, the George Washington University, and any successor Employer, to deduct from wages hereafter due me, and payable on each available pay period due me, such sums for Union dues, fees, and/or assessments to the Union at times and in a manner agreed upon between the Union and the Employer.”

more
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/439696/print
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: I Was Forced to Join a Union
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 01:03:44 pm »
An economics professor "represented" by a union for cooks and janitors. Makes perfect sense.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bunny Watson

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 01:32:33 pm »
An economics professor "represented" by a union for cooks and janitors. Makes perfect sense.

My first day of employment as a faculty librarian at a state university, I had a union rep drop by to "chat" about all the great things the union could do for me, and wouldn't I like to join, as opposed to paying the (mandatory) "representation" fee. I let him blather on for a while. "We like to get over 90% membership, blah, blah, blah." At the end, he said, "So, are you inclined to join the union today?" My response was, "Frankly, sir, I'm disinclined, and even more so after speaking with you." I them quickly ushered the aghast idiot out of my office. One of the few enjoyable moments in that job!

geronl

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 01:50:24 pm »
land of the formerly free

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 01:56:09 pm »
My first day of employment as a faculty librarian at a state university, I had a union rep drop by to "chat" about all the great things the union could do for me, and wouldn't I like to join, as opposed to paying the (mandatory) "representation" fee. I let him blather on for a while. "We like to get over 90% membership, blah, blah, blah." At the end, he said, "So, are you inclined to join the union today?" My response was, "Frankly, sir, I'm disinclined, and even more so after speaking with you." I them quickly ushered the aghast idiot out of my office. One of the few enjoyable moments in that job!

Unions are like adding another layer of government.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 01:59:05 pm »
UPS and the teamsters has a real racket going with their forced unionization. (At least they did back in my college days when I loaded trucks there.)

They forced every to join the union, BUT they also front-loaded the union dues into the first few paychecks. Think about this: the turnover rate of people working in loading/unloading of the UPS trucks was *incredibly* high. Many college students would take it as a summer job, then go back to school. Others would simply leave because the work REALLY sucked. It was hot in those trucks, and the steady stream of dirty boxes would leave you sweaty and covered in grime by the end of your 4-5 hour shift.

Nonetheless, a full year's worth of deductions for union dues were front-loaded into the the first few paychecks. This ensured the teamsters a steady supply of full-year dues for people who would often work a job for less than 3 months, if that. Therefore, they were getting 4x+ the amount of dues.

A racket. I expect no less from the teamsters.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 02:01:44 pm »

Colleges are furtile recruiting grounds for your subversives of one kind or another.  As for the SEIU getting their foot in the door at the Universities....they were more desirerable in appearance then the leg breakers the Teamsters sent a calling!