Author Topic: FOX SETTLES WITH GRETCHEN CARLSON FOR $20 MILLION—AND IS EXPECTED TO OFFER AN UNPRECEDENTED APOLOGY  (Read 1174 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: VANITY FAIR

URL: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/09/fox-news-settles-with-gretchen-carlson-for-20-million

BY SARAH ELLISON

It has been exactly two months since Gretchen Carlson, a former Fox News anchor, sued her old boss, Roger Ailes, for sexual harassment. The suit inaugurated a frenetic series of events, not only within Fox News’s subterranean newsroom—where staffers feared for their jobs and, in one case, even the network’s future—but also throughout the media, as other women came forward to share their own stories of harassment. It all resulted in Ailes’s dramatic, and nearly mind-boggling, ouster from the news network that he co-founded 20 years ago. (Ailes has repeatedly, and fervently, denied all allegations of sexual harassment.)

On Friday, Ailes biographer and New York writer Gabriel Sherman, who has broken key elements of the story, published a lengthy cover article detailing Ailes’s downfall. As I have reported, Ailes’s own apparent paranoia increased around the time that Sherman began reporting his unauthorized biography, which was published in early 2014.

According to a person close to Ailes, he hung a wooden door, now dismantled, that obscured any view into his office suite; according to numerous people, he also recorded anyone who entered. Ailes kept guns in the office (a Glock and Smith & Wesson were discovered by 21st Century Fox after his ouster). Carlson and others, including former Fox News booker Laurie Luhn, also detailed Ailes’s alleged harassment, much of it outlined by Sherman in his coverage.

[SNIP]

But there was always a tension between cleaning things up and preserving Fox News, which makes $1 billion in annual profit. The Murdochs appear intent on putting the Ailes saga behind them as they move into the last stretches of an election and an attempt to corral crucial anchors, such as Megyn Kelly, to re-sign with the network. Now the company has agreed, on behalf of Ailes, to settle Carlson’s suit for a stunning $20 million, according to three people familiar with the settlement.

To reinforce their seriousness about creating a new culture in a post-Ailes world, the company is expected to offer Carlson a public apology as part of the settlement. (The company, according to two people familiar with the discussions, has also reached settlement agreements with two other women.)

EXCERPT ONLY CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline Just_Victor

Gretchen must have some serious evidence.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
For $20 million Roger Ailes can hit on me.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

She taped him...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

apparently it was recorded evidence

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Yep, it mus have been very, very bad. According to this (not sure how accurate but it seems to be backed up by similar sites), her pay at Fox was only 1.5 Million and the 20 Million was the settlement so she was definitely the one coming from the position of power in that settlement.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-politicians/republicans/gretchen-carlson-net-worth/

Offline mirraflake

Is sexual harassment really worth 20 million?   Dang jury awards are out of kilter.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Is sexual harassment really worth 20 million?   Dang jury awards are out of kilter.

This was a settlement, it never made it to the jury. IE, this is what Fox offered Carlson not to take it to a jury- thus the prior comments that the evidence must be really bad.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Anyone would be leery of hiring her now, considering. Not that there might be someone there completely on the up and up who would hire her without qualm, but I think the whole 'news' industry is a mite seedier than that. That 20 million is her golden parachute.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis