General Category > Computers

Do you Code? What's your preferred language/platform?

(1/5) > >>

Oceander:
Just out of idle curiosity.  I spent most of the last two days rejiggering the forum's theme to create a refreshed look.  That required rewriting some significant php on several of the template documents, and, of course, the css styling.

Php I'm pretty comfortable with.  Css I hate; I can see the potential, but it seems to me that it's still too tied to the outmoded concept of laying out a printed page, with everything flowing from the top left to the bottom right.

In high school (many, many moons ago), I learned FORTRAN and pascal, taught myself a little bit of COBOL to impress a girl (don't ask, 'cause I won't tell), and in the last eight years or so picked up html, php, and javascript.  I can read c++, but can't afford the compiler/IDE needed to easily write it.

At this point, based on that, I probably like php the best, if for no other reason than that it's free and, since it's an interpreted language, I get almost instant gratification.

Ancient:
I like the new look.  I'm a database guy, so SQL is my #1 language.  I'll leave it up to you if that is "coding" or not.

roamer_1:
I'm top flight in batch scripting, Started there in DOS... Went to Basic, fairly advanced, to build the tools I needed that DOS didn't provide.

Found Pascal to be more sensible so I went there...
The natural extension into Delphi came next, but I am afraid I never did get the hang of OOP - Still an inline coder to this day, and I am most comfortable in D6

Messed with AccessVB to build my own bookkeeping for my business, WSH and VBScript as batch helpers...

Pretty good in HTML4, but I hate CSS, and haven't had to learn HTML5, though I want to - Probably my winter project to resurrect my website.

Oceander:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on September 06, 2016, 03:59:30 am ---I'm top flight in batch scripting, Started there in DOS... Went to Basic, fairly advanced, to build the tools I needed that DOS didn't provide.

Found Pascal to be more sensible so I went there...
The natural extension into Delphi came next, but I am afraid I never did get the hang of OOP - Still an inline coder to this day, and I am most comfortable in D6

Messed with AccessVB to build my own bookkeeping for my business, WSH and VBScript as batch helpers...

Pretty good in HTML4, but I hate CSS, and haven't had to learn HTML5, though I want to - Probably my winter project to resurrect my website.

--- End quote ---

OOP seems to be something useful that got overhyped as a panacea for everything.  It has its uses, but in many cases it's not needed and simply ends up creating needlessly complicated code.

Scripting in Powershell - Windows' replacement for CMD - is a lot of fun (so I'm a bit of a geek).  It basically has almost full access to all of the assemblies that regular applications have, so you can in fact write some fairly complicated programs in it.  If I recall correctly, one of the developers even had a mini-webserver example in a book he published that was written entirely in Powershell.

Oceander:

--- Quote from: Ancient on September 06, 2016, 03:57:02 am ---I like the new look.  I'm a database guy, so SQL is my #1 language.  I'll leave it up to you if that is "coding" or not.

--- End quote ---

SQL is, in my book, definitely a form of programming.  It's not just passively pulling data out of the database in raw form; you can ask the database server to do some pretty sophisticated massaging to the data before it returns the results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version