Author Topic: How U.S. Policy Almost Ended Up Fighting Itself in Syria  (Read 304 times)

rangerrebew

How U.S. Policy Almost Ended Up Fighting Itself in Syria
« on: September 05, 2016, 03:09:11 pm »

How U.S. Policy Almost Ended Up Fighting Itself in Syria
Image: A Turkish tank. Turkish Armed Forces photo via Flickr.
Seth J. Frantzman

“Let me be clear, I have no idea what I’m doing,” read a meme posted online mocking Barack Obama on August 31. It was shared among supporters of the People’s Protection Units, the Kurdish group that has been fighting ISIS for two years in northeastern Syria. They were angry and accused the United States of “betraying” Kurdish forces and supporting a Turkish intervention that has now clashed with the Kurdish-backed Syrian Democratic Forces between Jarabulus and Manbij.

In the puzzle that is Syria, with its plethora of different groups fight against Bashar al-Assad, with Iranian and Hezbollah proxies allied with Assad, and the areas dominated by ISIS and Kurdish forces, the Turkish intervention around the city of Jarabulus has added a new element to a complex web of competing groups. For American policymakers it presents a particular problem because the United States is a close ally of Turkey and has worked with some Sunni Syrian rebel groups over the last four years. At the same time the United States has also cultivated a close, and very successful, relationship with the YPG in its war against ISIS. So how did America get to the point where its policy was described as “U.S.-backed Turkish offensive in Syria targets U.S.-backed Kurds”?

Source URL (retrieved on September 5, 2016): http://nationalinterest.org/feature/how-us-policy-almost-ended-fighting-itself-syria-17584