Author Topic: Several Hispanic Trump surrogates reconsider support  (Read 1365 times)

Offline sinkspur

Several Hispanic Trump surrogates reconsider support
« on: September 01, 2016, 01:10:28 pm »
Several Hispanic Trump surrogates reconsider support

By KATIE GLUECK 09/01/16 12:35 AM EDT

Several major Latino surrogates for Donald Trump are reconsidering their support for him following the Republican nominee’s hardline speech on immigration Wednesday night.

Jacob Monty, a member of Trump’s National Hispanic Advisory Council, has resigned, and Alfonso Aguilar, the president of the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles, said in an interview that he is “inclined” to pull his support.

“I was a strong supporter of Donald Trump when I believed he was going to address the immigration problem realistically and compassionately,” said Monty, a Houston attorney who has aggressively made the Latino case for Trump. “What I heard today was not realistic and not compassionate.”

He withdrew from the board following Trump’s speech in Phoenix, which was heavy on calls for border security and emphasized that all immigrants in the country illegally were subject to deportation.

“When we met [earlier in August] he was going to approach this issue with a realistic plan, a compassionate plan, with a plan that was not disruptive to the immigrants that were here that were not lawbreakers,” said Monty, one of the Latino leaders who met with the candidate at Trump Tower recently, a gathering at which Trump reportedly softened his tone toward undocumented immigrants already in the country. “He didn’t deliver any of that.”

Aguilar was once a Trump critic who earlier this summer set aside his qualms about Trump’s rhetoric toward Hispanic people, and organized a letter of support signed by himself and other prominent Latino conservatives. Since then, he has repeatedly defended Trump in media appearances, as has Monty. Neither plans to support Hillary Clinton.

“It’s so disappointing because we feel we took a chance, a very risky chance,” Aguilar said. “We decided to make a big U-turn to see if we could make him change. We thought we were moving in the right direction … we’re disappointed. We feel misled.”

Aguilar said he was not speaking on behalf of any organization, and hadn’t reached a final conclusion, but was deeply troubled by Trump’s address, saying that while the campaign has recently promised to deal with undocumented immigrants already living in the country in a “humane” way, “did you hear anything in that speech that was compassionate and humane? No.”

He went on to add, “I can tell you there’s a real possibility we will withdraw support from Donald Trump because of that disappointing speech.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-hispanic-leaders-arizona-immigration-227615#ixzz4J0dnaLEo
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Several Hispanic Trump surrogates reconsider support
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 01:12:54 pm »
Trump will now have to win with whites.  He's shut the door on winning Hispanics and blacks with this speech.

Also, he is still maintaining the ridiculous fiction that all illegals are subject to deportation.  He, and you, and everybody else knows that will never happen, that Congress will never approve funding for a half-million MORE ICE agents, and that things will pretty much continue as they are if Trump is elected. 

This speech was red meat for wavering bubbas.  He has has 38% and that may be his ceiling.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 01:15:27 pm »
“When we met [earlier in August] he was going to approach this issue with a realistic plan, a compassionate plan, with a plan that was not disruptive to the immigrants that were here that were not lawbreakers,” said Monty, one of the Latino leaders who met with the candidate at Trump Tower recently, a gathering at which Trump reportedly softened his tone toward undocumented immigrants already in the country. “He didn’t deliver any of that.”

If you are here illegally, you ARE a lawbreaker. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:00:48 pm by Eowyn »

geronl

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 01:26:11 pm »

This speech was red meat for wavering bubbas.  He has has 38% and that may be his ceiling.

yep

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 01:30:58 pm »
Trump will now have to win with whites.  He's shut the door on winning Hispanics and blacks with this speech.

Also, he is still maintaining the ridiculous fiction that all illegals are subject to deportation.  He, and you, and everybody else knows that will never happen, that Congress will never approve funding for a half-million MORE ICE agents, and that things will pretty much continue as they are if Trump is elected. 

I am not a Trump supporter but he gave a good speech.  He stepped on the toes of illegals not Hispanics in general and his meeting with Mexico was a brilliant move on his part. Secondly, continuing to economically support the influx of illegal immigrants into this country is unsustainable.  The Secure Fence of 2006 was approved; its time to finish the job.  Let the ICE agents and border patrol agents that are here do their job instead of telling them to stand down. The problem is two fold; the cartel on both sides of the fence who are profiting and the give away programs to illegals.  Curtail both of those and you will see remarkable success.  Whether or not Trump will do what he says is questionable.  As for Congress; it's up to the people to DEMAND action from them. If Trump actually gets elected and calls to complete the border wall and Congress continues to 'play games'; I think you will see a tremendous backlash.

Do I take Trump at his word and trust him?  Absolutely not.  He's a liberal.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:32:32 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 01:32:45 pm »

I'm not sure blacks, who often perceive illegals as taking their jobs, and who have the highest unemployment are going to dump Trump over a speech which will have the illegals sent home. That would conceivably open up opportunities for blacks to become employed. Many of those jobs are in construction and other trades, not just more menial service sectors, so some of them could pay fairly well. For others,  the idea of not being required to 'Hablar Espanol' to get employment would be a plus, too,  and it is that way in some parts of the country..
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 01:34:09 pm »

If you are hear illegally, you ARE a lawbreaker.
Yep. That's what the whole "illegal" part is about.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 02:00:15 pm »
One thing that resonated in his speech last night were references to assimilation and patriotism.  If Hispanic surrogates are reconsidering their support, IMHO that shows their lack of love of country.  We are Americans.  We need to get away from labeling groups of people as hyphenated Americans.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 02:20:32 pm »
One thing that resonated in his speech last night were references to assimilation and patriotism.  If Hispanic surrogates are reconsidering their support, IMHO that shows their lack of love of country.  We are Americans.  We need to get away from labeling groups of people as hyphenated Americans.

:thumbsup:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 02:21:51 pm »
One thing that resonated in his speech last night were references to assimilation and patriotism. We need to get away from labeling groups of people as hyphenated Americans.
Put America first, and a lot of that special interest group stuff can go away.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 02:44:40 pm »

All I can say is SCAM WOW!!!!!

I watched part of his speech in Everett WA it was right before he went to Mexico.  What a scam.  I couldn't watch any further than his speech about minorities Black and Hispanic Latino's being the poorest and how is going to get jobs for Hispanic/Latino and African Americans.  I go to the store and I see Hispanic Latino's in brand new vehicles.  They are scamming the system.  They work under the table and collect all of the benefits.  The data for poverty in that race is so wrong.  Because they apply for every social help they can get.  Through the schools and through the state with no checks on how much money they are really pulling in.  Hispanics and Latino's are the threat to African American jobs.

And still he is just fishing for votes the same way Hillary does.  Couldn't we have a President that isn't calling out certain race and see every American as American?  And watching the crowd adore Trump was like watching Idol worship.  Scary.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.