Author Topic: Video: Train found at bottom of Lake Superior, 106 years after derailment  (Read 4421 times)

rangerrebew

Video
Train found at bottom of Lake Superior, 106 years after derailment
'We were the first people in 106 years to see something that hasn't been seen,' Tom Crossmon says

By Gord Ellis, CBC News Posted: Aug 23, 2016 4:59 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 24, 2016 2:11 PM ET
The wheels of locomotive CPR 694 were seen for the first time in 106 years in July. Tom Crossmon used a remote operated vehicle to find the wreck in 60 metres of water in Lake Superior, near Schreiber, Ont.

The wheels of locomotive CPR 694 were seen for the first time in 106 years in July. Tom Crossmon used a remote operated vehicle to find the wreck in 60 metres of water in Lake Superior, near Schreiber, Ont. (photo credit: Pete Mesley)

This video reveals CPR 694 at the bottom of Lake Superior.

The final resting place of a freight train that derailed more than 100 years ago near Schreiber, Ont., has been discovered.

Tom Crossmon, a Minnesota-based underwater recovery expert, found CPR 694 on the bottom of Lake Superior on July 22.

The train derailed on June 9, 1910, near Mink Harbour, when it hit a boulder on the track, Crossman said. It then dropped 20 meters to Lake Superior, and descended another 60 metres to the bottom of the lake.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/freight-train-derailment-cpr-694-schreiber-1.3732711
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 07:07:30 pm by rangerrebew »

geronl

apparently divers really like finding things under water

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

I think it just an excuse to get out of the wind.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

In this case it wasn't exactly lost.

rangerrebew

I think it just an excuse to get out of the wind.

In Lake Superior that's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
In Lake Superior that's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Why?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

rangerrebew

Why?

My family and I were camping on Lake Superior about 25 years ago on the 4th of July.  Adults were wearing winter clothing but my son had to be different so he went swimming, not for long, but he did go in.  With the turbulent waves and water temperature, he came out in just a couple minutes and was turning purple.  We bundled him up and played three dog night (wife, daughter, and I wrapped around him) and he still shook for about 20 minutes.  Once the winter gales hit on Superior the best thing you can do is stay off.  I have talked to people who have seen the waves cross a highway and deposit fish on the other side.  Gordon Lightfoot talked about them in "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." Superior it is said never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy.  I once had a t-shirt with a weather map of the UP.  The weather was partly sh*tty, mostly sh*tty, and totally sh*tty.  The seven day out outlook was:

Sh*tty
Sh*tty
Sh*tty
Sh*tty
Sh*tty
Sh*tty
sh*tty

Hope this helps. :silly:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:53:38 pm by rangerrebew »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@rangerrebew

Sounds like a great place--to avoid.

We don't have any huge bodies of water in Idaho. Lots of really flat glaciers though.

You live in Idaho:

• You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction.

• You see a mountainside riddled with caves and know not only that there are people living in them, but that they're paying rent. 

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
@rangerrebew

Sounds like a great place--to avoid.

We don't have any huge bodies of water in Idaho. Lots of really flat glaciers though.

You live in Idaho:

• You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction.

• You see a mountainside riddled with caves and know not only that there are people living in them, but that they're paying rent.
And in southern Idaho road construction pushes out into the other two seasons we have: Darn it's a 100 in May and Darn it's still 100 in October. You never know what you are going to get in the spring and the fall.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
And in southern Idaho road construction pushes out into the other two seasons we have: Darn it's a 100 in May and Darn it's still 100 in October. You never know what you are going to get in the spring and the fall.

Gotta keep those shorts and parka ready.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@ Idaho_Cowboy

The smoke around here is bad. Been messing with me.

geronl

A century from now archaeologists might uncovered the ruined remains of the Trump train

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
A century from now archaeologists might uncovered the ruined remains of the Trump train

Headline: WORLD'S LARGEST COPROLITE FOUND AT BOTTOM OF LAKE SUPERIOR.

heh. Fitting final resting place.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
@ Idaho_Cowboy

The smoke around here is bad. Been messing with me.
It's been a bad year for fires. Federal government's idea of pristine is a crispy charred wasteland; but don't get me started on that.

You know what they say about getting what you pay for, but I highly recommend Bromelain. I don't have allergies, but this helps with the symptoms from the smoke that pools down here.
https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Life-Bromelain-Sinus-Ease/dp/B00014EEHU
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
   @Idaho_Cowboy

I'll give it a try, thanks. Been waking up all plugged up.

rangerrebew

The UPers say the only difference between good skiing and bad skiing is about 2 weeks.

Talked to a guy one time in Houghton (the UP).  He had been there on business one time and went to bed as usual .  When he got up it was still dark, though they should have been seeing light.  To make a long story short, it had snowed so much that 1st floor windows were covered with snow drifts which were up to the 2nd floor by that time.

Had a roommate in undergrad school from Newberry in da UP, also.    Every year they had a stump knocker festival around June to celebrate bad skiing.  Why did the call it stump knocker?  All the bars in town emptied their unfinished jugs of booze into a giant vat.  Logging is a big business in the da UP and stumps are everywhere.  When people went home after having imbibing from the vat, they tended to have considerable trouble navigating and a lot them wound up knocking those stumps.

Listening to radio station up there one time and they were talking about car/bear hits instead of car/deer hits.

The people up there are a hardy breed. :silly:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:42:43 pm by rangerrebew »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The UPers say the only difference between good skiing and bad skiing is about 2 weeks.

Talked to a guy one time in Houghton (the UP).  He had been there on business one time and went to bed as usual .  When he got up it was still dark, though they should have been seeing light.  To make a long story short, it had snowed so much that 1st floor windows were covered with snow drifts which were up to the 2nd floor by that time.

Had a roommate in undergrad school from Newberry in da UP, also.    Every year they had a stump knocker festival around June to celebrate bad skiing.  Why did the call it stump knocker?  All the bars in town emptied their unfinished jugs of booze into a giant vat.  Logging is a big business in the da UP and stumps are everywhere.  When people went home after having imbibing from the vat, they tended to have considerable trouble navigating and a lot them wound up knocking those stumps.

Listening to radio station up there one time and they were talking about car/bear hits instead of car/deer hits.

The people up there are a hardy breed. :silly:

Since it is logging territory couldn't they build temporary bridges over bear dens. People could drive over them and not have to annoy sleeping bears.

Maybe it was a bear that derailed the train.

rangerrebew

Maybe it was a bear that derailed the train.

Maybe an avalanche or it was hit by Babe the Blue Ox. 000hehehehe

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Maybe an avalanche or it was hit by Babe the Blue Ox. 000hehehehe

She a pole dancer?

rangerrebew

She a pole dancer?

North Pole dancer  , I would guess.   :seeya:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Tough luck for the engine crew on that steamer.

Either killed by the impact, scalded by the steam, or drowned in the water...

Offline goatprairie

Re: Video: Train found at bottom of Lake Superior, 106 years after derailment
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 04:44:20 am »
My family and I were camping on Lake Superior about 25 years ago on the 4th of July.  Adults were wearing winter clothing but my son had to be different so he went swimming, not for long, but he did go in.  With the turbulent waves and water temperature, he came out in just a couple minutes and was turning purple.  We bundled him up and played three dog night (wife, daughter, and I wrapped around him) and he still shook for about 20 minutes.  Once the winter gales hit on Superior the best thing you can do is stay off.  I have talked to people who have seen the waves cross a highway and deposit fish on the other side.  Gordon Lightfoot talked about them in "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." Superior it is said never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy.  I once had a t-shirt with a weather map of the UP.  The weather was partly sh*tty, mostly sh*tty, and totally sh*tty.  The seven day out outlook was:

Sh*tty
Sh*tty
Sh*tty
Sh*tty
Sh*tty
Sh*tty
sh*tty

In August 53 years ago returning on a trip from lower and upper Michigan visiting my father's clan (my father was born in Calumet and he and his family moved to Detroit in his teens during the Great Depression),  my family stopped by Lake Superior near Ashland  to  rest and take a few pictures. My older brother and I decided to wade out into the water. It was actually fairly warm.  The lake floor we walked on was covered with large pebbles, but they were rounded and not  real painful. We waded out into the shallow water about 100 yards and then turned back. I guess we must have caught it on a rare day when the water wasn't too cold.

Offline JustPassinThru

Re: Video: Train found at bottom of Lake Superior, 106 years after derailment
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 05:11:43 am »

Sh*tty
Sh*tty
Sh*tty
Sh*tty
Sh*tty
Sh*tty
sh*tty

The water on Superior is very, very deep - and the lake is over the northernmost part of the Continental United States.  International Falls, just to the west of the lake, is a regular recorder of the coldest spot in the country.

Superior "never gives up its dead" because a drowning victim will sink - as is normal; but in warmer water decomposition will bloat the corpse and send it to the surface.  The water in Superior is like an ice bath - normal decomposition doesn't occur; victims are consumed by freshwater marine life before the flesh rots.

Drowning victims and shipwreck victims stay down there.

As for the weather in the UP:  It's one of the few places in the country where you NEVER need air conditioning.  Although mosquito nets and insect repellent are essential.