Author Topic: ******DELETE THIS THREAD PLEASE******  (Read 1537 times)

publana

******DELETE THIS THREAD PLEASE******
« on: August 31, 2016, 06:25:43 am »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:18:03 am by Rikki Tikki Tavi »

Offline JustPassinThru

Untrue.

The General Election is the way all States choose Electors for the Electoral College.  Those Electors meet and cast their ballots.

If a candidate they are pledged to is dead, they will cast a ballot based on, variously, state laws, party demands, their own judgment (which is what the Electors were intended to do)  If a candidate they are pledged to is deranged or arrested or convicted, likewise, they are not bound by their pledge.  Not under Federal law, anyway.  Depending on the state there may be charges filed; but when an Elector refuses to vote for a deranged or ill or comatose candidate, I cannot imagine a jury convicting him.

What this is is USNews thumping the tub for either direct election, which would compound our problems, or else a Imperial Edict by God the Kenyan.  He's going to favor us by staying put...

Offline plewis1250

Usually the two candidates are not both aging like they are this year...
The pecking order: Christian, American, Conservative

Offline mountaineer

I just saw another video of the rodent trying to get out of a van with her helpful omnipresent medical assistant waiting to help her, and she slumps back onto the seat before finally emerging. She really looks bad (and not just because of those long Kirby sweeper-like coats she's been wearing in the heat of summer).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Untrue.

The General Election is the way all States choose Electors for the Electoral College.  Those Electors meet and cast their ballots.

If a candidate they are pledged to is dead, they will cast a ballot based on, variously, state laws, party demands, their own judgment (which is what the Electors were intended to do)  If a candidate they are pledged to is deranged or arrested or convicted, likewise, they are not bound by their pledge.  Not under Federal law, anyway.  Depending on the state there may be charges filed; but when an Elector refuses to vote for a deranged or ill or comatose candidate, I cannot imagine a jury convicting him.

What this is is USNews thumping the tub for either direct election, which would compound our problems, or else a Imperial Edict by God the Kenyan.  He's going to favor us by staying put...

Americans are losing sight of the fact that electors and delegates are not elected to rubber stamp the decisions of the people. In fact, many delegates to the continental convention voted for independence against the will of the voters.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I just saw another video of the rodent trying to get out of a van with her helpful omnipresent medical assistant waiting to help her, and she slumps back onto the seat before finally emerging. She really looks bad (and not just because of those long Kirby sweeper-like coats she's been wearing in the heat of summer).
Kinda like "Mr. Gray, I have bad news. Someone found the portrait."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I was rather taken aback that theywere even considering the possibility that one of them wouldn't make it to the election.  Granted, both are old, but I can't remember ever seeing such a thing discussed in prior elections.  Doesn't mean it never happened, but I never saw it before.

Here's a possible reason as to why:  The WSJ reported this morning on a Monmouth University national survey asking voters whether they preferred Clinton, Trump or neither.   "Neither" won, with 35% of the responses.

It's gotten to the point where folks are daydreaming of a deus ex machina to spare us from this awful choice.   Even in the form of a well-timed stroke.   

I for one wish this were a choice between Pence and Kaine, two honorable and worthy candidates.   Instead it's Too Corrupt vs. Too Crazy.   

Or Johnson/Weld, the only responsible choice.   
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:07:25 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

Here's a possible reason as to why:  The WSJ reported this morning on a Monmouth University national survey asking voters whether they preferred Clinton, Trump or neither.   "Neither" won, with 35% of the responses.

It's gotten to the point where folks are daydreaming of a deus ex machina to spare us from this awful choice.   Even in the form of a well-timed stroke.   

I for one wish this were a choice between Pence and Kaine, two honorable and worthy candidates.   Instead it's Too Corrupt vs. Too Crazy.   

Or Johnson/Weld, the only responsible choice.

From my understanding the VP's wouldn't automatically get the presidential nomination; after all they were selected by the presidential nominee and not the delegates nor the electorate. Therefore; it would be the decision of the RNC or DNC and the rules governing the party who would then become the party's nominee.  IMHO, it would seem to me that the person who had the next greatest number of delegates at the time going into the convention would be eligible to become the presidential nominee; namely Cruz and Sanders.

http://teachinghistory.org/history-content/ask-a-historian/20431

https://www.quora.com/What-would-happen-if-after-the-US-primaries-but-before-the-election-both-candidates-for-president-either-die-or-are-disqualified-for-some-reason

https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/print_friendly.html?page=faq_content.html&title=U.%20S.%20Electoral%20College%3A%20Frequently%20Asked%20Questions#candidatedies
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

An interesting question:  what happens when there is an emergency shortly before an election - too close for the selection of a new candidate in proper order - and one or more of the candidates on all state ballots is no longer able to stand for election?

It seems to be this doesn't just arise with a death, but also, say, the imprisonment/prosecution/conviction of a candidate (everyone gets the reference, I trust).

Such an event would surely cause a constitutional crisis.  It is for that reason, as well as inordinate pressure from Obama, that I believe the FBI and the DOJ essentially cleared Clinton of wrong-doing respecting her home-brew email server and the fact that there is a virtual certainty that she knowingly, or recklessly, exposed national secrets to the Russians and the Chinese (and probably other unfriendlies as well).  No career civil servant, such as the investigators at, or even the head of, the FBI would want the blame for that to rest on their shoulders.

Offline JustPassinThru

An interesting question:  what happens when there is an emergency shortly before an election - too close for the selection of a new candidate in proper order - and one or more of the candidates on all state ballots is no longer able to stand for election?

It seems to be this doesn't just arise with a death, but also, say, the imprisonment/prosecution/conviction of a candidate (everyone gets the reference, I trust).

Such an event would surely cause a constitutional crisis.  It is for that reason, as well as inordinate pressure from Obama, that I believe the FBI and the DOJ essentially cleared Clinton of wrong-doing respecting her home-brew email server and the fact that there is a virtual certainty that she knowingly, or recklessly, exposed national secrets to the Russians and the Chinese (and probably other unfriendlies as well).  No career civil servant, such as the investigators at, or even the head of, the FBI would want the blame for that to rest on their shoulders.

The same thing happens.  You are voting for a slate of Electors.  THEY will assume their role as Electors, regardless of whether their pledged candidates are alive.

The reality is, probably, the Party will tell them how to vote.  That was not the purpose of the EC, but it's probably what happens.

If it were on the Republican side, there would probably be rebellion and multiple candidates voted for.  But we KNOW the Ds march in lockstep to their orders.

Offline r9etb

Re: A Candidate's Death Could Delay or Eliminate the Presidential Election
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 03:23:42 pm »
It's gotten to the point where folks are daydreaming of a deus ex machina to spare us from this awful choice. 

Amazing but true.

The Johnson team is actually doing a very good job of making this point.  If they're smart, they'll use the poll you cited as the lead to a new ad.