Author Topic: FBI raids American Muslim's home, finds 'arsenal' Search nets AK-47s, grenades, tactical knives, 1,000s of rounds of ammo  (Read 3079 times)

rangerrebew

FBI raids American Muslim's home, finds 'arsenal'
Search nets AK-47s, grenades, tactical knives, 1,000s of rounds of ammo
Published: 5 hours ago

An American Muslim convert allegedly bought illegal grenades from an undercover FBI agent and was stockpiling ammunition in an underground container, according to federal court records unsealed Monday in Detroit.

Interviews found in court records portray Sebastian Gregerson, aka Abdurrahman Bin Mikaayl, as a “homegrown violent extremist” who amassed an arsenal to carry out an attack while cheering mass killings in Paris and Orlando, the Detroit News reported.

Both the FBI and the Detroit newspaper parroted the language of the Obama administration, referring repeatedly to Gregerson as a “home-grown violent extremist” who seemingly just randomly fell into a state of allegiance to the Islamic State, also called ISIS.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/08/fbi-raids-american-muslims-home-finds-arsenal/#qG7zstoxBHFgkeBE.99

Offline livius

Sebastian Gregorson. So I'm assuming that he's a white, formerly leftist Christian slacker living in his parents' basement.

Offline unknown

That's interesting.

Usually the muslim just goes down to his local muslim armory and just checks out the stuff he wants to use when he goes SJS. The muslim local armory is also called a mosque.

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

HonestJohn

He just likes guns.

Raid an average Bundy rancher type... and the FBI will find the same.

I'm not seeing a difference between the two.

geronl

The only suspicious part of the "arsenal" is "Muslim"...

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
He just likes guns.

Raid an average Bundy rancher type... and the FBI will find the same.

I'm not seeing a difference between the two.

The difference I see is that he bought grenades from an FBI agent. Beyond that I agree that the same "arsenal" could be found in many homes.

The FBI are real pros at catching the stupid.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The difference I see is that he bought grenades from an FBI agent. Beyond that I agree that the same "arsenal" could be found in many homes.

The FBI are real pros at catching the stupid.
Yep, not too bright with the grenade thingy, there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

An American Muslim convert allegedly bought illegal grenades from an undercover FBI agent and was stockpiling ammunition in an underground container, according to federal court records unsealed Monday in Detroit.
So if he had only bought "legal" grenades, he would have been okay?
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline unknown

For him, no!

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

HonestJohn

Is it okay if a Bundy rancher-type buys them?

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Title 2 firearms includes: machine guns, silencers, and grenades They require, the ATF form 4 must be submitted to the ATF along with form 5330.20 attesting to US citizenship, finger print cards, two passport sized photographs and a check or money order for $200. Followed by lots of waiting to legally purchase.

So yeah, he screwed up on the grenades. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Are there actual cases where a "Bundy rancher-type" had grenades?

Offline TomSea

Detroit Man Who Amassed Arsenal Was Vocal ISIS Fan
Court records unsealed on Monday alleged that Sebastian Gregerson told an FBI agent he wanted to kill local Muslim leaders and praised ISIS.
A Detroit man arrested for possession of an arsenal of illegal weaponry including grenades and assault rifles was a vocal Islamic State (ISIS, ISIL) supporter, according to court documents unsealed on Monday.

The FBI tracked Sebastian Gregerson, a Muslim convert,  in a 16-month investigation and alleged that he gathered his arsenal with the intent to carry out a terrorist attack. FBI agents obtained a search warrant to investigate his home.

An affidavit says Gregerson, who also went by the name of Abdurrahman Bin Mikaayl, plotted armed attacks against local Muslim leaders. In May, an undercover agent met with Gregerson in a restaurant when a group of local Muslim leaders entered.

“Gregerson recognized the men. He then proceeded to talk with (the agent) about committing violent acts against them. He described the scenario ‘like shooting fish in a barrel’” the affidavit stated.

Read More At: https://www.clarionproject.org/news/detroit-man-who-amassed-arsenal-was-vocal-isis-fan

Offline TomSea

Detroit Man Who Amassed Arsenal Was Vocal ISIS Fan
Court records unsealed on Monday alleged that Sebastian Gregerson told an FBI agent he wanted to kill local Muslim leaders and praised ISIS.

A Detroit man arrested for possession of an arsenal of illegal weaponry including grenades and assault rifles was a vocal Islamic State (ISIS, ISIL) supporter, according to court documents unsealed on Monday.

The FBI tracked Sebastian Gregerson, a Muslim convert,  in a 16-month investigation and alleged that he gathered his arsenal with the intent to carry out a terrorist attack. FBI agents obtained a search warrant to investigate his home.

An affidavit says Gregerson, who also went by the name of Abdurrahman Bin Mikaayl, plotted armed attacks against local Muslim leaders. In May, an undercover agent met with Gregerson in a restaurant when a group of local Muslim leaders entered.

Read More At: https://www.clarionproject.org/news/detroit-man-who-amassed-arsenal-was-vocal-isis-fan

Thank goodness the FBI nor anyone here was fooled by this fellow. If he had stayed "incognito", maybe he would have evaded the law. He did not have the "taqiya" part down I guess.

Maybe the FBI was looking after online postings and got their hunches that way. Lone-wolf type.

Offline Smokin Joe

I believe they are classified as a 'destructive device', much like a mortar round or tank ammo. I'm not sure what level of permit or transfer tax one would have to pay to have one legally, and then there are state and local hoops to jump through and laws which may nix that. I am sure, in the end, it would be plenty expensive to have one.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

HonestJohn

Are there actual cases where a "Bundy rancher-type" had grenades?

Would you be posting here about it if there was?  Would it be in support or opposition?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:30:55 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline TomSea

Would you be posting here about it if there was?  Would it be in support or opposition?

No, "Bundy-type ranchers" had no grenades I would assert.

Offline TomSea

Story from August 7th on this character.

(Reuters) – U.S. authorities have found an apparent link between a Michigan man charged with illegally purchasing an arsenal of explosives and the radical U.S.-born al Qaeda recruiter Anwar al-Awlaki, the Detroit News reported on Saturday.

Sebastian Gregerson, 29, was arrested on Sunday after federal prosecutors say he traded a handgun to an undercover agent in exchange for several grenades.

A search of his home uncovered seven rifles, two handguns, a hatchet, 20 knives including two machetes and thousands of rounds of live ammunition, according to prosecutors.

Investigators also seized several CDs with al-Awlaki’s name on them, the newspaper reported, citing sealed court records it obtained.

Read more at http://www.patdollard.com/michigan-grenade-buyer-linked-to-jihad/#8X5gJKBGWRtxKFw8.99

So, this story resurfaced for some reason.

HonestJohn

No, "Bundy-type ranchers" had no grenades I would assert.

Offline Smokin Joe

Story from August 7th on this character.
So, this story resurfaced for some reason.

A search of his home uncovered seven rifles, two handguns, a hatchet, 20 knives including two machetes and thousands of rounds of live ammunition, according to prosecutors.
CDs with al-Awlaki’s name on them might be significant.
If the guy has terrorist ties, well, gig him for that. Trading for grenades seems a mite different in that light than some rancher trying to defend his home and family, ya think? One of those types of people will pick a bus or mall and roll the grenade down the aisle or toss it into a crowd, one won't--he just wants to be left alone.

That "arsenal" (sans grenades) is a nice start in these parts, but hardly anything impressive in and of itself.

The significant things are trading for grenades and terrorist ties.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

Mostly agree Smokin' Joe.

"and thousands of rounds of live ammunition, according to prosecutors."

Could be substantial, I'd have to see it but the grenades are the big deal.

Offline Smokin Joe

Mostly agree Smokin' Joe.

"and thousands of rounds of live ammunition, according to prosecutors."

Could be substantial, I'd have to see it but the grenades are the big deal.
Nine firearms, two of which are handguns. Working with a pretty much standard gun cabinet in this area, the unusual thing about that is the absence of a shotgun. Three bricks of .22 for one rifle and one pistol. (1500 rounds).
 I'll note that these firearms (long guns) were all described as "rifles". Anyone with an AK or SKS or AR-15 who doesn't have at least 500 rounds around for each rifle is either not a shooter and wants it to just have it, or likely just got back from the range. A 'spam can' of 7.62X39 is 440 rounds, and one per rifle in reserve is not so much, bought with the rifle. When the SKS was cheap, that was about $200, for the rifle and the ammo. An AK 74 (5.45 X 39) uses a round more similar to the 5.56 round the AR uses, and a spam can of those is 1080 rounds. One can per rifle, and there are 'thousands' of rounds, and we haven't touched on the other handgun. You could fit the works in a footlocker, volume wise.
Ordinarily, here, there would be a couple of scoped rifles in that mix, which may be bolt actions (for hunting deer or hunting elk farther West) and a smaller caliber one for varmints, or just two deer rifles.
A couple hundred rounds for each would not be so unusual.
It may seem like a lot, but it isn't that much, really, especially if accumulated over time.
It doesn't take that much to have a few thousand rounds of ammo, especially if you have been at for a while (and especially if since when ammo was cheaper).

But aside from inert, practice, or the 'complaint department, take a number' variety, not many have any grenades.

I, personally,  avoid having something that looks like something it isn't, just because of the 1971 ATF attack on Kenyon Ballew https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Ballew_raid, where the justification for the raid came from a burglary suspect's tip that he had "seen grenades" in Ballew's apartment, and the ATF and Montgomery County MD police raided Ballew on the basis of that info.
That raid was the first ATF outrage I learned of. There have been many since.
Ballew was shot in the (then unusual) door busting raid, and suffered major brain damage. The "grenades" were either inert or novelties which had been rendered militarily incapable and set up to fire cap gun caps.

From the cited article,
To counter defense claims that the inert grenades were legal curios or ornaments and not live weapons, the judge cited a prior case as establishing that possession of a glass bottle, flammable liquid and cloth in the same place at the same time was constructive possession of a molotov cocktail and prosecution did not require an assembled molotov cocktail;[6] therefore, Ballew's possession of both inert grenades and of gunpowder and primers for his guns also constituted possession of live hand grenades, even without assembly of live grenades. Also by modifying three of the grenades to pop caps as noise makers, Ballew had weaponized the grenades and they were no longer inert curios or ornaments. "Although these grenades could not have been exploded as found, they could have been fully activated....

By that logic, if you have plumbing supplies, reload and have powder, and some cannon fuse laying around, you have pipe bombs. Beware that logic.

The ignorance of the 'witness' the raid was based on ultimately got Mr. Ballew shot. (Either that, or the desire to deliver a 'bigger fish' to cut a deal on a charge the suspect faced.)

My attitude, since finding out the particulars of the case, has been that there is no sense in having something that only looks like something more potent. Avoiding that ignorance and possible misunderstanding (especially in the days of Facebook and twitter) can be a life-saver.
(The exception being semi-auto rifles which are clones of their select fire capable counterparts, but those are plenty common in the US and the rule rather than the exception--the assumption is that the rifle is NOT a select fire arm.) Despite having a wry appreciation for the common novelty 'Complaint Dept. take a number' inert pineapple grenade, I won't have one in my home because some fool (literally) might get it wrong, nor do I have any of a number of other neat (but demilled) widgets around for that same reason. I'm not one to display my firearms conspicuously, anyway.

Besides, I'm a geologist and have a house full of more fundamental 'deadly weapons' (rocks).

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Can you describe what you mean by a 'Bundy rancher-type'?

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

HonestJohn

Can you describe what you mean by a 'Bundy rancher-type'?

Those that showed up at the Bundy ranch to defend it.

Those that seized the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon.

Offline Crazieman

Those that showed up at the Bundy ranch to defend it.

Those that seized the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon.

You seem awfully obsessed with that subject.

Yet in another thread, without hesitation questioned that our current leadership has apologized for America for the last 7 1/2 years.

Don't seem to lean on the correct side of the aisle buddy.
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.