Author Topic: Sears Puts Kenmore, Craftsman Up for Grabs  (Read 3416 times)

Offline sinkspur

Re: Sears Puts Kenmore, Craftsman Up for Grabs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 02:50:43 pm »
Kenmore and Craftsman are boomer brands.  There might be a few companies interested in them as another line but only for a few years.

Doesn't Whirpool manufacture Kenmore?  What's the value of another Whirlpool appliance on the market when you can just go buy Whirlpool?   
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 02:54:49 pm »
Kenmore is just a private label product anymore. No one will care, but Craftsman still has the lifetime warranty on hand tools. I routinely use their screwdrivers as chisels and just get a free new one. Hope that doesn't change.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 03:08:53 pm »
Sears-KMart is not going to last much longer is it?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 03:12:47 pm »

No.  Both retailers have stores that  look like something out of the 60s.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 03:14:54 pm »
My dad had purchased Craftsman tools religiously in my lifetime. Sad to see this happen to them.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 03:17:47 pm »
My dad had purchased Craftsman tools religiously in my lifetime. Sad to see this happen to them.

So did my father. But today's Craftsman is not my dad's. IMO Sears was the worst thing to happen to that company.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 03:34:56 pm »
My toolbox  is 90% Craftsman.

MY $100 chinese made 4 year old floorjack just blew a seal and is unrepairable.  MY 93 year old uncle gave me his 1960's Sears floorjack and it still works great. Leaks some oil but ok..Found out companies still offer rebuild kits for it online so plan on buying the kit.

He also gave me his old socket sets-he was a millwright in a plant until he retired. He purchased them in late 40's for a guy who was retiring.  They still work great.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 03:36:26 pm »
Those are the last two sub brands of any value Sears owns. It looks like she is about to shut down completely.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 03:39:48 pm »

All brick-and-mortar retailers are slowly going out of business, or else transitioning to on-line product and service delivery models. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 04:10:05 pm »
All brick-and-mortar retailers are slowly going out of business, or else transitioning to on-line product and service delivery models.

That has the potential to turn exploding fuel prices and shortages of goods into a real-deal famine.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 04:18:38 pm »
That has the potential to turn exploding fuel prices and shortages of goods into a real-deal famine.

:silly:

Go to Walmart and look around. Nobody will be starving to death anytime soon.

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 05:10:17 pm »
My toolbox  is 90% Craftsman.

MY $100 chinese made 4 year old floorjack just blew a seal. 

Hey, whatever you do in the privacy of your own home is no concern of ours.  Just keep your kinky sex life out of here!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 05:20:58 pm »
Tim Allen will be devastated.

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 11:40:37 am »

How would fuel prices affect online sale more than brick and mortar stores?

Both need products shipped to the "store".  One has the customer driving to complete the sale, the other has the store.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:41:07 am by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 12:00:03 pm »
:silly:

Go to Walmart and look around. Nobody will be starving to death anytime soon.
I have. During the oil boom here the Walmart couldn't keep the shelves stocked, despite stocking three shifts a day. No incoming stock, a little panic, and the shelves will be stripped of anything worth getting in short order.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 12:20:22 pm »
I have. During the oil boom here the Walmart couldn't keep the shelves stocked, despite stocking three shifts a day. No incoming stock, a little panic, and the shelves will be stripped of anything worth getting in short order.

Ridiculous to think that means that we'll have a famine.

Offline paul544

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 12:53:22 pm »
Craftsman made in China now.  Won't buy them anymore, lifetime warranty or not. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 01:34:29 pm »
Craftsman made in China now.  Won't buy them anymore, lifetime warranty or not.

What American made tools do you buy now?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 06:39:40 pm »
Shouldn't that actually Kmart puts Kenmore, Craftsman up for grabs, since they own Sears?

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 06:43:54 pm »
Shouldn't that actually Kmart puts Kenmore, Craftsman up for grabs, since they own Sears?

When Sears and Kmart merged in 2004, the new combined company is Sears Holding Corp.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56358-2004Nov17.html

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 11:03:59 pm »
When Sears and Kmart merged in 2004, the new combined company is Sears Holding Corp.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56358-2004Nov17.html
Yes it's called Sears Holding Corp. because they felt Sears had a more palatable name than Kmart, but it was Kmart that purchased Sears.
Sears Holdings Corporation is an American holding company headquartered in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. It is the owner of retail store brands Sears and Kmart, and was founded after the latter purchased the former in 2005. Sears Holdings owns the brands Craftsman, Kenmore, and DieHard
Bottom line they have bot been in a death spiral no matter what you call the holding group.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 11:14:08 pm »
It is worth mentioning that these catalog giants (Sears, JC Penney) are the ones having the hardest time converting to on-line... You would think it would be a boon for them - Just convert the paper catalog to digital - And think of the savings that should give them. It should have been positive.

Not that long ago, their stores were showcases, and the lion's share had to be ordered anyway. You would have thought they'd have seen that coming.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:14:32 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 12:07:02 am »
Ridiculous to think that means that we'll have a famine.
Perhaps 'famine' isn't the right word. The comment was made in terms of spiking fuel prices and lack of availability.

With the decrease in on-premises or locally warehoused stock, and reliance on 'on demand' inventory maintenance, it would not take much of a disruption to cause the resupply mechanism to be insufficient or, in the instance of a major problem, to break down entirely. Disruptions in fuel supply, computer systems, transportation routes could all cause the shelves to empty without anything to restock.

Consider grocery/convenience store shelves before a hurricane, (or electronics store shelves afterwards).

Any panic only accelerates the process.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis