Author Topic: Croatia – Momentous Day For Victims Of Communist Crimes (Aug. 23)  (Read 847 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The takeaway here is August 23 is the memorial day of the victims of Communism.

Croatia – Momentous Day For Victims Of Communist Crimes

23 August was the Day of Remembrance for the victims of all totalitarian and authoritarian regimes in Europe and this August 23rd 2016 the Croatian Parliament devoted itself to this remembrance for the first time since its independence and secession from communist Yugoslavia in 1991. Minister for the culture Zlatko Hasanbegovic representing PM Tihomir Oreskovic, foreign and internal affairs minister Miro Kovac, defence minister Josip Buljevic, minister for agriculture Davor Romic, minister for social politics and youth Bernardica Juretic, minister for employment and retirement Nada Sikic, minister for science, education and sport Predrag Sustar, members of parliament, diplomatic core representatives, members of the academic community and religious and business representatives made this day a truly great one for Croatia.

This has been a truly momentous day for Croatia’s democratic government.

Read More At: https://inavukic.com/2016/08/28/croatia-momentous-day-for-victims-of-communist-crimes/

Offline endicom

Re: Croatia – Momentous Day For Victims Of Communist Crimes (Aug. 23)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 02:46:24 pm »
Excellent. We need more of this.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 03:09:10 pm »
Will they also commemorate the victims of the Ustashe during WWII?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:54:54 pm »
Will they also commemorate the victims of the Ustashe during WWII?

We are in uncharted territory and I just brought this up; however, it does appear that August 23rd is a universal day set aside to remember those who were victimized by Communism. Not just in Croatia.

Even commemorated in Washington DC and on August 23, Black Ribbon Day:
Victims of Communism Memorial (intersection of New Jersey Ave. NW and Massachusetts Ave. NW)

The Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation is a Washington-based, non-profit educational and human rights organization devoted to commemorating the more than 100 million victims of communism around the world and to the freedom of those still living under totalitarian regimes.

300 New Jersey Avenue, NW # 900, Washington, DC 20001
(202) 629.9500

http://victimsofcommunism.org/events/black-ribbon-day/
http://blog.victimsofcommunism.org/

So, maybe out of all the nations that were under Communism, this story on Croatia happened to highlight this day.

How many I wonder even knew of this day? I didn't but it is good to take note of.

As for the Croatian website, it appears a bit nationalistic and apologist but certainly is not pro-Ustashi.

“I have never in any way whatsoever been an apologist for any criminal regime, whether Ustashe or Communist regime. Indeed, in all my public appearances and works I have always clearly emphasised that the Ustashe crimes (WWII) have not only burdened with a mortgage of defeat but represent the biggest moral stumbling in the history of Croatian people, whose evil shadow hovers over the Croatian people to today. I am against all totalitarianism, fascist and communist, I belong to the government and political party that firmly stand behind plantings of democratic antifascism, anti-communism and anti-totalitarianism and which is dedicated to the values of democracy and parliamentary government. This is my view as a human being, as citizen, as politician and my moral and if you like my scientific view,”

https://inavukic.com/2016/02/14/israels-wild-beasts-and-political-persecution-of-croatias-minister-zlatko-hasanbegovic/

Just getting out of the rut that World News has seemed to largely mean "3rd World" or even 4th world news.

There should be more diversity in stories than always posting on Syria, ISIS, the refugee problem and so on.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 03:57:16 pm »
Sounds like Washington DC and Prague too, at a minimum have memorials for the victims of Communism. I did not know that, sometimes one has to dig around for info.