Author Topic: Is Ann Coulter the Most Hated Woman in the World? She Was at Last Night's Rob Lowe Roast  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Ann doesn’t get much sympathy from me.

Anyone who has ever watched, even clips from these Comedy Central Roasts knows exactly what sort of cesspool they are, with the raunchiest of jokes imaginable. Why would she even agreed to appear knowing that she would be mocked unmercifully is beyond me.  The only possible reason for her appearance was she got paid a very nice appearance fee. Much like her books, it’s all about the Benjamins.

FWIW in 2011 Donald Trump was roasted on Comedy Central.  YouTube used to have the full video but it, along with Trump’s more controversial appearances on the Howard Stern show, they have since been scrubbed.

But I watched it before it was taken down. And while I am no “prude” and not averse to all adult humor and “off-color jokes” per se, it was beyond disgusting, some really vile and x-rated stuff. And all the time Trump and his wife Melania and daughter Ivanka who were sitting in the audience, were seen laughing at the jokes about incest with his daughter, jokes about Melania being a whore and a mail order bride. Evidently Trump was OK with all these jokes, the only jokes he would not allow were any that questioned how much he was actually worth – that was off limits.

And Trump claimed that he only agreed to being roasted because the money paid for his appearance would go to charity but even that has been called into question.  It appears that Comedy Central did make a donation – to the Donald J. Trump Foundation.

In another instance, Trump said the fee for his 2011 Comedy Central roast would go to charity — reportedly $2 million and to his foundation. (Another time, Trump said it was $1 million.)

“Well, you know, interestingly, Comedy Central — which was a tremendous success for them and for me because I raised a lot of money for charity — they paid me a lot, which I have given to charity, so therefore I could laugh a little bit more,” Trump told CNN in 2011.

Trump’s foundation records from 2011 show just one donation from Comedy Central for $400,000. “A payment was made in conjunction with Donald Trump’s appearance on the ‘Comedy Central Roast of Donald Trump,’” a spokesperson for the network said. “Appearance agreements are confidential in nature so we cannot disclose any contractual details related to his appearance.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/trump-promised-millions-to-charity-but-gave-little-to-his-ow?utm_term=.tuK7kyw1O#.kvvVMwBON

Of course unless and until Trump releases his tax returns, we don't know if he donated anything from his Comedy Central roast appearance.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline JustPassinThru

I just find it very troubling that people seem to be more outraged at things people say, rather than at all of the evil that is actually being DONE in the world.

Makes me question what would happen if these people ever truly gained power.

I see the point, but she, and her ilk, do bear responsibility.

She is the one who, for years now, have been pushing irresponsible candidates - this after hard-won credibility in the internet-punditry business.

Annie writes a wicked polemic.  But when the rubber hits the road, she's all on the side of squish and muddled.  She liked Chubbs Christie.  She was mushy for Mittens.  The Internet was not so ubiquitous when Dole was running, but I can guess where she stood.  Or where she was paid to stand.

She is not the cause, but she is a very-prominent shill for the persons and forces which keep us LOSING.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I see the point, but she, and her ilk, do bear responsibility.

She is the one who, for years now, have been pushing irresponsible candidates - this after hard-won credibility in the internet-punditry business.

Annie writes a wicked polemic.  But when the rubber hits the road, she's all on the side of squish and muddled.  She liked Chubbs Christie.  She was mushy for Mittens.  The Internet was not so ubiquitous when Dole was running, but I can guess where she stood.  Or where she was paid to stand.

She is not the cause, but she is a very-prominent shill for the persons and forces which keep us LOSING.

We aren't little sheep to be led by whoever has the podium under their elbows or a book on the rack. 

We can discern whether these folks who would mold our opinions and beliefs make sense or are off base, and frequently do with Liberals. To not apply that critical thinking to even those who decry Liberals, out of misplaced faith in them to lead us blindly down the right path is folly.
We need to carefully consider what they say, especially if it is what we want to hear, and if it doesn't pass muster, discard it. Wanting something to be acceptably good doesn't make it that way and only leads to disappointment.

If Conservatives and the rest of Republicans have failed to do that due diligence, it's on us. She may be a messenger, but we still have to determine if the message is accurate, and there is a brand of intellectual laziness which will permit a lot to get by. As Ronald Reagan so succinctly said, "Trust, but verify."

Ann has a talent for acerbic wit, a way with words, and biting sarcasm. That can be entertaining in itself, however that doesn't mean she is always right, by any means. If she is wrong too often, or backs the wrong people, she will lose status in the eyes of those of us who read her commentary, as we see happening today. That is a punishment in itself. She is not a prophet, but a commentator.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
The thing is that the anti-Ann jokes weren't even funny. LIberal comedians simply are not funny people. They are unfunny.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The thing is that the anti-Ann jokes weren't even funny. LIberal comedians simply are not funny people. They are unfunny.
They seem to rely on other mean people laughing at mean things, or stuff so 'edgy' that people laugh out of nervousness. From there, it's the laugh track...

I would wager that since most conservatives have been the brunt of some liberal's derision at one point or another, conservatives tend to actually find that meanness less amusing (more empathy, which also takes intelligence), not that we can't get nasty ourselves. The 'edgy' stuff is often just a turn-off altogether.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis