Author Topic: Condoms Filled with Chili Powder and Firecrackers Teach Elephants to Stay Away  (Read 1361 times)

rangerrebew

Condoms Filled with Chili Powder and Firecrackers Teach Elephants to Stay Away
By Kacey Deamer, Staff Writer | August 23, 2016 07:14am ET

4 1 0 0 1 MORE

Partner Series
Condoms Filled with Chili Powder and Firecrackers Teach Elephants to Stay Away
Villagers would use spears to move the elephants out of the crop fields, injuring and potentially killing the animals.
Credit: The Nature Conservancy

Conservationists are filling condoms with chili powder and firecrackers … to keep elephants away.

This scare tactic, part of a multistep alarm system, has been developed to protect farmland and villages from elephants, without harming the animals. Honeyguide Foundation, with support from The Nature Conservancy, has been training villagers to use the alarm system, and though unconventional, the chili condoms have already shown promise.

In northern Tanzania, the area around Tarangire National Park where elephants live has seen substantial civilization growth since the park was established in 1970. According to Matthew Brown, Africa region conservation director for The Nature Conservancy, the population density has more than doubled and much of the grasslands surrounding the park are being converted to farmland. [Elephant Images: The Biggest Beasts on Land]

http://www.livescience.com/55849-chili-powder-firecracker-condoms-scare-elephants.html
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:34:39 pm by rangerrebew »

Oceander

I don't even want to start with the crude jokes.

rangerrebew

Will hanging them all over the District of Corruption keep the Clintons away? :whistle:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I don't even want to start with the crude jokes.

Then throw out some with some sophistication.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline politicalwit

• MedRecruiterUSA, LLC
Lets' see  :pondering: We've got elephants, chili powder, fireworks and condoms...now all we need is beer  :beer: and music   :whistle: Let the party begin...give those elephants a night they'll never forget.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Lets' see  :pondering: We've got elephants, chili powder, fireworks and condoms...now all we need is beer  :beer: and music   :whistle: Let the party begin...give those elephants a night they'll never forget.

@Oceander @rangerrebew @geronl

"I'm having a party and you are invited. There's going to be fireworks,  food, music, dancing, fighting, beer, and sex." "Who is going to be there?" "Just the two of us."
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline anymouse

"Condoms, Chili Powder, Firecrackers and Elephants"
Wasn't that a Trumpbart headline during the RNC convention? ;)
I knew that it would be a dumpster fire, didn't know that it would be a full-blown Trump party. ;)
Anymouse

"Life is a sit-com.  I'm just a critic, don't blame me for the lack of plot and poor acting." ;)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Will hanging them all over the District of Corruption keep the Clintons away? :whistle:
I doubt it. They'd probably enjoy hanging elephants.  :tongue2:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis