Author Topic: Americans’ Triumph at Olympics Shows Greatness of Melting Pot, Not Diversity  (Read 384 times)

rangerrebew

Americans’ Triumph at Olympics Shows Greatness of Melting Pot, Not Diversity

Mike Gonzalez / @Gundisalvus / August 21, 2016 / comments

Simone Biles, Gabby Douglas, Laurie Hernandez, Madison Kocian, and Aly Raisman pose with their gold medals on the podium after winning the women's team final. (Photo: Mike Blake/Reuters/Newscom)
Commentary By
Portrait of Mike Gonzalez

Mike Gonzalez
@Gundisalvus

Mike Gonzalez, a senior fellow at The Heritage Foundation, is a widely experienced international correspondent, commentator, and editor who has reported from Asia, Europe, and Latin America. He served in the George W. Bush administration, first at the Securities and Exchange Commission and then at the State Department, and is the author of "A Race for the Future: How Conservatives Can Break the Liberal Monopoly on Hispanic Americans." Read his research.

AKUMAL, Mexico—As luck would have it, my family and I have been watching that feast of American greatness called the Olympics while in vacation here in Mexico. Our routine is pretty simple: we do some combination of hitting the beach, visiting Maya ruins or reading, and then have dinner at our hideaway before huddling in front of the TV to watch the games.

Katie Ledecky, Michael Phelps, and the women’s gymnastics team had the five of us at hello.

The only fly in the ointment has come via the news and the realization that politics and race have once again crept up into the Olympics, just as it has in the past. I picked up USA Today at a local supermarket one morning to read that the Final Five is proof of the triumph of “diversity.”

http://dailysignal.com/2016/08/21/americans-triumph-at-olympics-shows-greatness-of-melting-pot-not-diversity/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:02:03 pm by rangerrebew »