Author Topic: Top Underrated Rock Band: Your Picks For Bands That don't get as much love as they really deserve.  (Read 13551 times)

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
IMHO One of the greatest vocalist of all times -- Steve Mariott. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5L-YcHcYe4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdXjm8pZMws

No question.  And, the best concert I ever went to!  They were smokin'!

Offline GrouchoTex

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Little Feat underrated????

I guess you didn't hear about Led Zepplin getting kicked out of a hotel during their first US tour for playing Little Feat albums too loud,and Jimmy Page saying they were his favorite group?

I should clarify.  Their fellow musicians and music lovers recognized how very good (the original) Little Feat was and the musical genius of Lowell George, but they didn’t get as much commercial success as they deserved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/little-feat-gets-recognized-in-new-book/

Ironically, George’s untimely death at age 34 and just after the band had disbanded, probably made them more popular than they would have been otherwise.

I think part of the problem was that Little Feat was hard to peg. While they were sometimes considered to be in the “Southern Rock” category, they were not as much Southern Rock as other bands of the time like Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers as they also incorporated a lot of funk, R&B, New Orleans and jazz influences along with using the Tower of Power horns, which made them not get as much airplay on rock stations (album rock) at the time.

But “Waiting For Columbus” is considered to be among the top 10 live albums of all time and deservedly so.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Ok,New Riders of the Purple Sage never got all the credit they deserved,IMHO.

Count me a big fan of "NERPS", as the old gang used to call them.   I was just listening to "Lonesome LA Cowboy" last week at the Jersey shore.   I played the "Who Are Those Guys" record 'til the grooves wore white.   Remember their take on Loudon Wainwright's "Swimming Song"?   I guess I think of them as the world's best beach 'n beer music band. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Hoodat

But “Waiting For Columbus” is considered to be among the top 10 live albums of all time and deservedly so.

Damn straight.  At the top of my unattainable bucket list is seeing Little Feat with Lowell George in concert.

Straight from the Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K33_VG3LIhk 
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Damn straight.  At the top of my unattainable bucket list is seeing Little Feat with Lowell George in concert.

Straight from the Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K33_VG3LIhk

I saw them several times in Overton Park in Memphis.  With Bonnie Raitt.  They were good.  Really good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I should clarify.  Their fellow musicians and music lovers recognized how very good (the original) Little Feat was and the musical genius of Lowell George, but they didn’t get as much commercial success as they deserved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/little-feat-gets-recognized-in-new-book/

Ironically, George’s untimely death at age 34 and just after the band had disbanded, probably made them more popular than they would have been otherwise.

I think part of the problem was that Little Feat was hard to peg. While they were sometimes considered to be in the “Southern Rock” category, they were not as much Southern Rock as other bands of the time like Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers as they also incorporated a lot of funk, R&B, New Orleans and jazz influences along with using the Tower of Power horns, which made them not get as much airplay on rock stations (album rock) at the time.

I agree with all you wrote,but would add that they absolutely sucked in concert. I went to see them 3 times and they were horrible each time. Mostly because George was so high he couldn't sing,but one time the band was so high I couldn't even recognize the songs they were trying to play.

I had bought tickets to see them the 4th time,but George OD'd and died a week before the concert.

Damn shame. The man was a musical genius and nobody could touch him when he was straight,either vocally or when it came to writing and performing. He could even do the simple stuff so good it was shocking,like "I'm Willing",and the song below from Dixie Chicken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7TLnRThxL0

Does it get any sweeter than that?

This is one of my favorites,along with Dixie Chicken and Fat Man in the Bathtub. Besides George,the rhythm section may have been one of the best in the business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLFkSJr-PBE
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I saw them several times in Overton Park in Memphis.  With Bonnie Raitt.  They were good.  Really good.

@Sanguine

Now I'm jealous.

Bonnie Raitts cover of John
BPrine's Angel from Montgomery and Linda Rhondstats cover of Lowell George's "I'm Willing" may be the two best covers ever. I knew last year on America has talent that the chick that opened with Roy Orbinsons  "Blue Bayou" and absolutely nailed it,and then followed up with Prine's/Raitt's "Angel from Montgomery" was going to win it because she absolutely nailed that one,too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vb0z7mY

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 07:05:00 pm by sneakypete »

Offline GrouchoTex

Now I'm jealous.

Bonnie Raitts cover of John
BPrine's Angel from Montgomery and Linda Rhondstats cover of Lowell George's "I'm Willing" may be the two best covers ever. I knew last year on America has talent that the chick that opened with Roy Orbinsons  "Blue Bayou" and absolutely nailed it,and then followed up with Prine's/Raitt's "Angel from Montgomery" was going to win it because she absolutely nailed that one,too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vb0z7mY

What a great song!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Count me a big fan of "NERPS", as the old gang used to call them.   I was just listening to "Lonesome LA Cowboy" last week at the Jersey shore.   I played the "Who Are Those Guys" record 'til the grooves wore white.   Remember their take on Loudon Wainwright's "Swimming Song"?   I guess I think of them as the world's best beach 'n beer music band.

@Jazzhead

Bacl in the early 70's there used to be a band that did the college tour in the south named Sutters Gold Street Band,and not only could they tear up the Neil Young covers,but they could also tear up New Riders. Me and a few of my friends would bring our long hair and beards to the local college town every time they would show up,and take up a table right in front of the stage.  We were usually powered by white whiskey in gallon milk jugs when we went there,and we were known to share some of it with the band during intermission.  They would dedicate "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mothers" to "those long-haired hippies sitting at the table in front of the stage"  just before they played it. By then the local rednecks knew enough to get REAL quiet and back up against the wall when they played it. I once knocked a guy out for standing where I wanted to dance when they were playing Orange Blossom Special. The funny part I didn't even know about until the next day. I didn't even remember hitting him,never mind the rest of the stuff. Seems like he got back up his feet and couldn't remember who had hit him until my drunken friends standing up on the table that had poured a pitcher of beer on him pointed me out. By then I was dancing and had forgotten all about him,and he kept trying to hit me in the back of the head,and every time he would swing I would be bobbing around dancing,and he would miss.  After he missed with a couple of punches my ex-old lady spotted what he was doing,and jumped between us and put up her fists to fight him. About the time he drew back his arm to hit her,two of the guys that had poured the beer on him and had been laughing at him trying to punch me grabbed him by both elbows,picked him up,and took him outside to explain to him that he did NOT want to punch THAT woman no matter how much he thought he did.

The ex make me pay for that the next day. As well as several days afterwards.

Ahhhh,the rowdy days of youth! How I miss them!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 07:06:16 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What a great song!

@GrouchoTex

John Prine wrote that song as well as many,many other great songs,and should be mentioned here because he SHOULD be one of the most famous song writers and singers in the biz,but he ain't. If you are not familiar with his work,give a half-dozen or so of his albums a listen and you will become a major Prine fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2e9wWFg-pI     ( look around and you can see a video of him singing this with his ex-wife . Nobody can say she doesn't have a sense of humor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEy6EuZp9IY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5axlwCBXC8

This is probably his best known song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eccz7D0QK0

Offline GrouchoTex

@GrouchoTex

John Prine wrote that song as well as many,many other great songs,and should be mentioned here because he SHOULD be one of the most famous song writers and singers in the biz,but he ain't. If you are not familiar with his work,give a half-dozen or so of his albums a listen and you will become a major Prine fan.

Oh yeah, I am a John Prine fan, heard a lot of his stuff.
In fact, I didn't even know Bonnie Riatt covered "Angel from Montgomery", and I had seen her live twice!
I knew Prine wrote it.

Offline GrouchoTex

@GrouchoTex

A friend of mine plays "In spite of ourselves" every Saturday, at an ice house we got to on Saturday afternoons.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Jazzhead  @GrouchoTex   @Sanguine  @Luis Gonzalez  @Hoodat  @Neverdul  @uglybiker 

Speaking of good covers.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paeNnR33i5Q

Between Grace,Joe,and that amazing trumpet player,this must be one of the greatest covers of all times/

Wingnut

A friend of mine plays "In spite of ourselves" every Saturday, at an ice house we got to on Saturday afternoons.

Great lyrics on that one! 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Great lyrics on that one!

@Wingnut

Every song John Prine ever wrote has great lyrics.

Offline GrouchoTex

@Wingnut

Every song John Prine ever wrote has great lyrics.
Sirius XM radio has an"Outlaw country" station.
They play a lot of John Prine.
Locally, we have a NPR station that had a Saturday segment called"Lone Star Jukebox" that played a lot of his stuff, too.
Hadn't head that program in a while, since I got satellite radio about 7 years ago.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@GrouchoTex

Pete, you left "Hello In There" off the list. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdMdcTKQo-A

Offline GrouchoTex

In April 2002, they openind the Hobby Center in Houston.
It was Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely John Hiatt, and Guy Clark, all on acoustic guitars.
Before the night was over, each one played on of there favorite John Prine songs.
It was great.
Not unlike one of their songs, we drove my wife's car until the engine died, right when we parked, and had it towed home after the show.
I opened the hood and saw oil everywhere. Not good.
I asked my wife when was the last time she had changed the oil, and ever since then, I've been in charge of that.
Should have been all along, to be honest.
We had a great time anyway, and just let that deal slide off like water on a duck's back.
No sense in spoiling a great night.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:19:29 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline Axeslinger

Can I get an amen to Triumph!

Love me some Priest too.  But much more of an Iron Maiden fan....absolutely phenomenal musicians and songwriters
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Can I get an amen to Triumph!

Love me some Priest too.  But much more of an Iron Maiden fan....absolutely phenomenal musicians and songwriters

:beer:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs