Author Topic: Donald Trump goes to Louisiana flooding site, spends a minute handing out Play-Doh, leaves  (Read 7829 times)

Offline montanajoe

It *is* non-toxic. ;)

Actually, when kids go through this kind of disaster it's a good morale booster for them to have something they can play with that was.  I'm not going to fault anyone for supplying some little trinket for them to have while waiting for life to get back to normal.

A point well taken, but this does demonstrate again, that the Trump campaign is... so amateur. One of the most damaging things to the Trump campaign is that his supporters and surrogates have to constantly go back and try to explain what he really meant. When you are a candidate for the Presidency voters go by first impression. They are not interested in what he is supposed to have said or done, they are interested in what he actually did say and do.

A well run campaign would have somebody constantly looking out for the "optics" and would never have allowed a box of Play-Dough within 10 feet of their candidate,  he would have been seen handing out water bottles, first aid kits, all the items associated with a disaster. Then as background his surrogates would have made the human interest pitch that in addition to the disaster supplies he also brought toys for the kids and perhaps they would have a photo op showing Trump handing the Play-Dough to a kid. Instead the campaign allowed him to come off as a big goof....again

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
You guys are too ridiculous to even argue with you! 

I will say this.. I suppose you all do not care about all the little children who lost all their toys and need something to do while in the shelters? Go With God!

Well since we are bringing God into this.  I have a couple things to say.

A man is not made in a matter of months.  Certainly not in a single instance of charitable giving when all the media is looking.   I base what I see by the character of the man which is already established in a man of Trumps age.  Who is Trump?  Nobody knows.  He won't release his tax returns.  Nobody knows if he has a heart or doesn't.  We know that he has money.  That is all we know.

So we see a man on a campaign that is falling in the polls and see a tragedy ripe for a photo op.  If Trump was the charitable giver before running for President I  don't think anyone would question.  But is he?  Don't judge me because I am aware of how politics work.  I know how a tragedy can become an opportunity for a failing campaign.

Washington Post is trying to figure out who Trump is also.  Has he uses his riches to help others?  Not talking about in the last year when he is trying to make himself look good.  I want to know who is the man when nobody is looking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/trump-charity-donations/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-promised-millions-to-charity-we-found-less-than-10000-over-7-years/2016/06/28/cbab5d1a-37dd-11e6-8f7c-d4c723a2becb_story.html

Now on the other hand Eric Trump does have a foundation to help St. Judes Childrens Hospital.  I noticed this months ago.  Its admirable.  Wish I could say the same for his Dad.  But maybe someone will come up with some charitable giving for Donald too.  I hope so.  Otherwise it was just a photo op in my eyes.  An opportunity in a failing campaign.

https://www.erictrumpfoundation.com/

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online mountaineer

We used to take the Washington Post's political reporting with a grain of salt. Whether you're pro- or anti-Trump, you must know they serve only the DNC.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

A man is not made in a matter of months.  Certainly not in a single instance of charitable giving when all the media is looking.   

This spring someone paid to put all new windows in my sister's house for her. An anonymous letter was sent to her church for the minister to set up and date with my sister to have it done. We don't have a clue who it was but it wasn't cheap.

Offline Chosen Daughter

We used to take the Washington Post's political reporting with a grain of salt. Whether you're pro- or anti-Trump, you must know they serve only the DNC.

I would be happy to see evidence otherwise.  If you have some.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

These days the WP and publications like them, are the main sources,  to avid #nevertrump phony conservatives, that have liberal positions on most topics.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chosen Daughter

This spring someone paid to put all new windows in my sister's house for her. An anonymous letter was sent to her church for the minister to set up and date with my sister to have it done. We don't have a clue who it was but it wasn't cheap.

That is true giving.  When nobody knows.

Offline Chosen Daughter

These days the WP and publications like them, are the main sources,  to avid #nevertrump phony conservatives, that have liberal positions on most topics.

http://www.redstate.com/saragonzales/2016/07/06/eric-trump-dad-donated-millions-charity-can-prove-wait-second-thought-cant/

Liberal news?  How about homosexual agenda Pro Abort Trump?

Offline RoosGirl

A point well taken, but this does demonstrate again, that the Trump campaign is... so amateur. One of the most damaging things to the Trump campaign is that his supporters and surrogates have to constantly go back and try to explain what he really meant. When you are a candidate for the Presidency voters go by first impression. They are not interested in what he is supposed to have said or done, they are interested in what he actually did say and do.

A well run campaign would have somebody constantly looking out for the "optics" and would never have allowed a box of Play-Dough within 10 feet of their candidate,  he would have been seen handing out water bottles, first aid kits, all the items associated with a disaster. Then as background his surrogates would have made the human interest pitch that in addition to the disaster supplies he also brought toys for the kids and perhaps they would have a photo op showing Trump handing the Play-Dough to a kid. Instead the campaign allowed him to come off as a big goof....again

You are correct, imo.  Then again there are the silly/fun comments that are just enjoyable to read.  It's not Kerry in blue "clean suit" or Dukakis in tank, but the silly factor is good for a little chuckle.

Offline HootOwl

Did you ever think that maybe going to LA  for a photo-opt was not the first thing on Trump's mind?  I'm beginning to get a sour grapes tingle up my leg. :tongue2: 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

:silly: :silly: It was the first and only thing on his mind. Absolutely no doubt about it. If it helped the people of LA I am grateful for that..but publicity for himself has always been
what is on trump's mind.

I'm actually a little surprised Obama and Clinton didn't rush down there for pictures too.

Oceander

:bigsilly:

Gotta hand it to you Trump boot-lickers, every time I read your posts I get a jolly good laugh out of it.  You simply have no clue, period.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Can't the kids build a flood dam or sumthin with that play-do?

Online mountaineer

I would be happy to see evidence otherwise.  If you have some.
I'm neither contradicting nor agreeing with the WP, just suggesting we not forget its bias.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

I'm not quite sure why he's being ridiculed for handing our Play doh.  It occupies kids of many different ages and provides valuable hands-on, active-learning experiences and supports children’s growth and learning in many areas.

If he indeed Trump was only there for a couple of minutes, then shame on him
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

I'm not quite sure why he's being ridiculed for handing our Play doh.  It occupies kids of many different ages and provides valuable hands-on, active-learning experiences and supports children’s growth and learning in many areas.

If he indeed Trump was only there for a couple of minutes, then shame on him

Absolutely agree on the play-doh.  The problem is that it was obviously a play for political gain - I don't think he really gives a rat's a$$ about those people - which is par for the course, it's what most politicians will do, and it was pulled off so incompetently.

A competent campaign would have first had the candidate out there in shirt sleeves, cuffs rolled up, handing out diapers and formula to the parents with babies and tots, then food staples and water to all, and then, when all of the necessaries had been distributed, out would come the play-doh, and some other toys, and the campaign would have carefully staged a set piece where there is a tired, sad-looking little child standing there, perhaps under a tree out of the way, and the candidate suddenly spots the kid, nonchalantly grabs a couple of tins of play-doh - not a whole box of it, because that's too heavy for a kid to carry by him/her self - strolls over to the kid, kneels down, and holds the play-doh out to him.  Cue the slow growth of a beaming smile on the child's face, while the relieved parents look on.  Then, when the candidate has spent the requisite minute and a half kneeling down with the kid, he stands up, ruffles the kid's hair, then gives the parents a heart-felt look and says, "you've got a great kid there."  Exeunt all.

If I can sketch that out in a few minutes' time, why couldn't his overpaid coterie of "experts" have managed that as well?

Offline Chosen Daughter

I'm actually a little surprised Obama and Clinton didn't rush down there for pictures too.

Oh me too.