Author Topic: Election Update: Why Clinton Doesn’t Have This Race Locked Up  (Read 1802 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Aug 17, 2016 at 5:09 PM
Election Update: Why Clinton Doesn’t Have This Race Locked Up

By Harry Enten

Hillary Clinton’s chances of winning the presidency have held fairly steady in the FiveThirtyEight models over the past 10 days. The polls-only forecast currently gives her an 88 percent chance of winning; since Aug. 7, her chances according to that model have been between 83 percent and 89 percent. The polls-plus forecast puts Clinton’s chance of winning at 78 percent; over the past 10 days, her chances according to that model have been between 76 percent and 80 percent. Indeed, Clinton’s post-convention bounce has stuck around so long that Donald Trump has been reduced to tweeting out a poll that showed him close but still losing.

A lot of Democrats I know have started to talk as though this election is over. They point to the fact that no candidate since 1952 who was leading at this point in the election cycle, a few weeks after the conventions, has lost the popular vote. So if Clinton’s lead in the polls is clear and the polling leader at this point in the campaign has never lost, why aren’t Clinton’s chances of winning according to our models even higher?

more
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-why-clinton-doesnt-have-this-race-locked-up/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Election Update: Why Clinton Doesn’t Have This Race Locked Up
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 03:09:45 pm »
Hitlery is off the campaign trail for four days. She does not have the stamina to campaign and needs the rest. No one in the media will mention this. I am sure she is hoping that Trump will gather more negative headlines during her time off.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 03:14:50 pm »
Hitlery is off the campaign trail for four days. She does not have the stamina to campaign and needs the rest. No one in the media will mention this. I am sure she is hoping that Trump will gather more negative headlines during her time off.

That's baloney.  Why should she be campaigning when Trump is campaigning in states he can't win? 

Pushing this meme that she's not healthy is conspirazoid stuff. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 03:27:54 pm »
I think this is a race that we simply can't count on any of the old models to understand. Even with almost all the polls looking bad for Trump, this race may come down to new voting blocks, the American Idol/Honey Boo Boo type voters who aren't voting based on positions but based on who they saw on TV, to be part of a pop culture event (like they voted for historic(sic) Obama). We may see groups of voters who never were active getting out.

This may go both ways though, it seems that DT is doing everything he can to turn off and frighten voters except for his most loyal demographics-- like he doesn't want to expand what he has.

Right now, both major party candidates have the worst trustworthy and likability numbers we've seen in candidates and both major parties have the highest percentage of #never members ever, so almost all bets are off.

I think things will become clearer once the debates start happening and the candidates are face to face, not on twitter or in more controlled environments.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 03:28:22 pm »

She has an event today in Bozeman, MT.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 03:33:41 pm »
Because she is the worst possible choice for the Democrats, just as Trump has been the worst possible choice for the Republicans.  If anyone but Trump had won the nomination, and I mean anyone, then the Republican would be 20 points up and headed for a landslide victory in November.  If anyone but Clinton had won the nomination, even Bernie, then the Democrat would be 20 points up and cruising for a win.  But instead we have the two worst possible candidate to choose from.  So that's why Clinton doesn't have the race locked up.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 03:34:42 pm »

Comparisons between Clinton and Trump are night and day. Whatever your stance on Donald Trump, he's a notorious hard worker. He's on the job early and sticks with a challenge until it succeeds. He manages his time. He "speed" golfs to get back to work. He's efficient. He strives to win and he loves his country. He's no lazy-ass Obama.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 03:37:13 pm »
That's baloney.  Why should she be campaigning when Trump is campaigning in states he can't win? 

Pushing this meme that she's not healthy is conspirazoid stuff.

Go ahead and ignore the evidence of her infirmities. The concussion, falls, aphasia, confusion, and long-term use of anti-coagulant medication are known facts.

Your defense of her is very puzzling. :shrug:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 03:40:16 pm »

Offline austingirl

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 03:41:14 pm »
She has an event today in Bozeman, MT.

The last schedule I saw had a four day gap so it is only three days.

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 03:47:39 pm »
No one is really paying attention right now for the needle to swing very far for either of the two nuts we had foisted upon us.  Except for the Media that is (and Us).  We really need to wait until the debates start  to see any meaningful movement in one direction or the other.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:48:18 pm by Wingnut »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 03:51:04 pm »
No one is really paying attention right now for the needle to swing very far for either of the two nuts we had foisted upon us.  Except for the Media that is (and Us).  We really need to wait until the debates start  to see any meaningful movement in one direction or the other.
Another terrorist attack could also change the entire complexion of the campaign.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 03:53:15 pm »
Another terrorist attack could also change the entire complexion of the campaign.

Or an economic crash.

But it is too early to declare winners and losers
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 03:53:52 pm »

Keeping a happy thought I see! :smokin:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 03:59:10 pm »
Keeping a happy thought I see! :smokin:
Of course the media would just say that Trump coordinated the terrorist act with ISIS to try to win the election.  And no, that's not a joke.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 04:06:21 pm »
This week four major polls show a virtual dead heat, or are within the MOE. Which means Trump is rising and Hillary falling slightly.  ^-^

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 04:09:15 pm »
Of course the media would just say that Trump coordinated the terrorist act with ISIS to try to win the election.  And no, that's not a joke.

Trump could say, "the sun is shining," and the media narrative would accuse him of racism.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 04:20:44 pm »
Go ahead and ignore the evidence of her infirmities. The concussion, falls, aphasia, confusion, and long-term use of anti-coagulant medication are known facts.

Your defense of her is very puzzling. :shrug:

LOL!  The "evidence" is a bunch of goofy websites with no direct knowledge of anything.

I can't stand Hillary, but propagating conspiracy nonsense makes us look foolish.

BTW, My dad was on anti-coagulant medication his entire life with no side effects.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:21:07 pm by sinkspur »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 04:23:09 pm »
This week four major polls show a virtual dead heat, or are within the MOE. Which means Trump is rising and Hillary falling slightly.  ^-^

Ah yes.  Rasmussen and Zogby are two (both with compromised credibility) .  LA Times is another.  Don't know the fourth.  But, even with those factored in, RCP still has Hillary up nearly 7 points.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 04:33:32 pm »
LOL!  The "evidence" is a bunch of goofy websites with no direct knowledge of anything.

I can't stand Hillary, but propagating conspiracy nonsense makes us look foolish.

BTW, My dad was on anti-coagulant medication his entire life with no side effects.

LOL! The evidence is watching videos of the witch and observing the short circuiting. She has abnormal movements, aphasia and appears confused and weak and in need of assistance. There has been documentation of her falls, concussion, and medications. That is direct knowledge.

Glad your father had no ill effects from anticoagulants but Hiltery has fallen several times and that is dangerous.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 04:35:44 pm »
Comparisons between Clinton and Trump are night and day. Whatever your stance on Donald Trump, he's a notorious hard worker. He's on the job early and sticks with a challenge until it succeeds. He manages his time. He "speed" golfs to get back to work. He's efficient. He strives to win and he loves his country. He's no lazy-ass Obama.

While I am no fan of Trump I do have to agree that his stamina and energy level is amazing for his age. Hitlery looks horrible and appears weak and confused.