Author Topic: No degree? No problem as tight labor market changes the game  (Read 2177 times)

Offline sinkspur

No degree? No problem as tight labor market changes the game
« on: August 09, 2016, 03:41:42 pm »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/08/07/no-degree-no-problem-tight-labor-market-changes-game/88303732/

No degree? No problem as tight labor market changes the game

Paul Davidson,

5:37 p.m. EDT August 7, 2016

San Diego-based Get It Done House Buyers, which buys homes to sell at a profit, began hiring salespeople without a Bachelor's degree eight months ago because of the tight labor market, says CEO Todd Toback. Turns out they’re his best performers.  “They’re really, really hungry,” Toback says.

Now, instead of reviewing resumes, he says, “We see how people act during interviews.”

One of those salesmen, Raymond Sylverne, 28, formerly a full-time Marine, says he was aware of employers' bias toward college grads but, “I had confidence. If I had a college degree but couldn’t convert (sales, I’d) be useless.”

The 4.9% jobless rate has left employers a shrinking pool of available workers, forcing many to hire candidates with only high school diplomas or less for jobs that previously required four-year degrees. Many recruiters are pleased with the results, prompting them to modify how they evaluate applicants.The shift is a boon for workers who have struggled on the outer edges of a labor market that has long deemed a college degree a requirement.

In July, the unemployment rate for high school dropouts plunged to 6.3% from 7.5% the previous month, and was down from 8.2% a year ago. The jobless rate for high school graduates has fallen half a percentage point the past year to 5%. But the rate for Americans with a Bachelor’s degree or higher has been stagnant at 2.5%.

The jobless rate can sometimes paint a deceptive picture because of movements into and out of the labor force. But the share of the over-25 population of high school dropouts that’s employed is up nearly 1.5 percentage points the past year to 44%. The equivalent measure for college graduates is down to 72.1% from 72.6%.

Candidates armed with a Bachelor’s still enjoy a far lower unemployment rate and higher wages. But as the labor market tightens, "there’s less of an advantage for people with a college degree,” says Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research.

That's partly because many new jobs are in restaurants, hotels and health care — industries that don’t require a college education, says Dean Maki, chief economist of Point72 Asset Management.

But high school graduates and dropouts are also snaring positions that had been going to the better educated, Maki says. During and after the recession, restaurants brought on college grads for jobs such as servers that didn’t require a four-year degree because they had their pick from a swollen pool of laid-off Americans.

Similarly, hotels that snagged college grads for low-level manager jobs during the downturn are taking on less educated applicants and training them, says Amy Glaser, senior vice president at Adecco Staffing. They've discovered the workers are less likely to leave because of the investment in their development and their skills are more suited to jobs for which some college grads felt overqualified.

Openings that traditionally have gone to college graduates, such as in sales, are being filled by less educated applicants, Glaser says. Tech companies, meanwhile, are finding programmers among high school graduates who have some coding experience and raw talent. With employers placing more emphasis on skills than educational background, staffing giant Manpower revived its MyPath program in May to train applicants’ for its clients’ open positions, says Senior Vice President Kip Wright.

Companies are also relying more on aptitude tests, says Jeanne Branthover, a partner in executive recruiting firm DHR International.

"It’s no longer, ‘Tell me what you did in school,' " she says. "Now it’s. ‘I want to know how you think.’”
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline skeeter

Re: No degree? No problem as tight labor market changes the game
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 03:55:12 pm »
According Dept of Labor U-6 is at about 12.7 percent unemployed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:55:48 pm by skeeter »

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 04:06:47 pm »
More mediuh disinformation.

Good times abound.  Believe it...just LOOK at all these new jobs.

The Potemkin Economy.

QUESTION:  If times are so good...how come these predatory I-Will-Buy-Your-House-For-Cash outfits need more staff?  In good times, homes sell themselves.  The passive dweebs at Century 21 sell all they can handle.

Next the Disinformation Mediuh will be telling us how good it is at pawnshops.  And of the jobs abounding at blood-plasma-sales laboratories.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:07:14 pm by JustPassinThru »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 10:29:27 pm »
The education-industrial complex promised a solid middle-class career for those who completed a degree. Then the recession hit and those middle-class jobs disappeared. This "recovery" has mostly been in low-end service jobs that don't require college education and never have. Those of us pressured into going to college as a gateway out of the working class got screwed and are still stuck in the working class. The truth is that there were never enough of those middle class jobs to go around in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:31:31 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 10:43:19 pm »

The firm which the article describes is a very bottom-tier predator outfit. They take advantage of gullible, low information types, etc.

You don't need a degree, to lie, manipulate and steal somebody's home.

I read their website. They do not hold California Real Estate licenses, which are among the most strict in the country, especially regarding ethics.

Plainly stated: I would not deal with them, and I would recommend that others do not, either. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 11:28:01 pm »
The firm which the article describes is a very bottom-tier predator outfit. They take advantage of gullible, low information types, etc.

You don't need a degree, to lie, manipulate and steal somebody's home.

I read their website. They do not hold California Real Estate licenses, which are among the most strict in the country, especially regarding ethics.

Plainly stated: I would not deal with them, and I would recommend that others do not, either.

That's not even the point.  I wouldn't say that these vulture Cash-For-Homes types are low-information - they're actually very savvy at what they do.  You can find them in used-car lots and Kirby sales-training seminars all across the country.

It's that those are the jobs being promised.  THOSE jobs appear when times are INTOLERABLE.  When times are good you don't sell real estate for fifty percent of its value, to have a pile of cash.  When times are good you'll view the property as an investment - and hold for top dollar or just not sell.

These are counter-indications of good times.  When times are good, these outfits hurt.  When times are terrible, they're having a riotous time.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 02:30:01 am »
I'm going to have to disagree with this. Yes, you can go far without a degree, but I can tell you first hand from talking with HR staff and knowing how it is set up, there are some major companies out there now that, if you are applying and don't have a degree, your resume is automatically rejected before anyone sees it. The online application process filterers applications before they go to manual review. It is getting to the point this even applies to entry level positions. With thousands of applicants coming in for a job opening, filtering rules like that are becoming commonplace.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 09:13:31 pm »
I'm going to have to disagree with this. Yes, you can go far without a degree, but I can tell you first hand from talking with HR staff and knowing how it is set up, there are some major companies out there now that, if you are applying and don't have a degree, your resume is automatically rejected before anyone sees it. The online application process filterers applications before they go to manual review. It is getting to the point this even applies to entry level positions. With thousands of applicants coming in for a job opening, filtering rules like that are becoming commonplace.

Small business are half the jobs and the majority of new jobs.

http://sbecouncil.org/about-us/facts-and-data/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 10:17:58 pm »
According Dept of Labor U-6 is at about 12.7 percent unemployed.

Many areas of the country are booming.  I live in gas frack ally and there are help wanted signs everywhere even with gas production down.

A friend of the family can't find workers starting at $18-20 per hour 60- hour work weeks and full benefits-no experience needed

Tech areas through out the country are also doing very well.

@skeeter

@JustPassinThru

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 10:20:39 pm »

Problem with those small business jobs = no room for advancement or limited. Pay and benefits are usually smaller.

Better than being unemployed  I guess LOL

@thackney

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 10:26:55 pm »

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of opportunities and someone with the right drive can still be successful. What I took umbrage with was the 'no problem' statement in the title. When you can't even get past the automated pre-screen process before your resume is even looked at by a human with a lot of major corporations, that can cause a lot of problems for many people.  In addition, with mergers and layoffs, sometimes having that degree can be your only job protection. I've been with the same company for 20 years through 5 different names due to mergers and at least 10 layoffs and have survived them all (only one of two from my original team still with any of the remaining companies) I believe in large part to having a MBA. (even when I was working on it, that made a difference).

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 10:32:02 pm »
My wife does weekly union electrician payroll for a contractor.  They just landed a big $60 million dollar job, and cannot find enough qualified electricians at the Hall, despite the IBEW's national information and recruiting system. That lets them recruit non-union sources, but they have 8 days to join the local.

I would love to see more vocational training out there.  We need qualified welders, electricians, pipefitters, millwrights, heavy equipment operators and the like.  College will not teach you how to work, only work will teach you how to work. 

"Many people miss Opportunity, because it frequently appears wearing coveralls and resembling work." -- Thomas Alva Edison

:beer:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 10:39:04 pm »

My wife has worked in retail for a long time, and she says many stores now want bachelors, for entry level floor sales positions.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 12:14:34 am »
Problem with those small business jobs = no room for advancement or limited. Pay and benefits are usually smaller.

Better than being unemployed  I guess LOL

@thackney

My experiences working with both small and large firms has been MUCH better pay with the small firms.  I work for a company with about a dozen in total.  I have gotten calls for years of people wanting to hire but cannot even match my pay. 
Life is fragile, handle with prayer