Author Topic: Trump may cost the GOP a generation of voters  (Read 3739 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: Trump may cost the GOP a generation of voters
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2016, 08:33:36 pm »
Interesting line.  Zogby has Trump and Hillary tied at 30% among 25-34 year old likely voters.

The anti-Trump sentiment is concentrated with the youngest voters.  Clinton leads 36%-26% with 18-29 years old, but an astounding 59%-22% for 18-24 year olds (in the same Zogby results).
That doesn't seem too far out of line with previous elections.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2016, 08:42:19 pm »
2012 was much more winnable than this.

"Winnable"???

If national elections had any legitimacy at this point - Trump would be facing Bernie Sanders, not the Mao Pantsuit.

This is no longer about 'winning'.

This is about creating an illusion of legitimacy.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 08:44:47 pm »
Kasich was winning every poll against Hillary.
So was Trump at one point.  You think the MSM didn't have their files ready for Kasich?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 08:45:14 pm »
Sorry, but I saw very little difference between Kasich and Hillary.  Kasich is a Democrat in all but name.

If you lived in Ohio, you would see a HUGE difference between Kasich and Hillary.  (Even knowing he's far from being as conservative as we would like).

This state suffered under leftist leadership in Ted Strickland (who IS like Hillary), and Kasich came in with Conservative fiscal, business and tax policies and got rid of our massive debt and created a surplus.

That alone demonstrates light years between the two.

And Kasich would have beaten her in November.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

geronl

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 08:49:17 pm »

And Kasich would have beaten her in November.

Nope. He's too liberal.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 08:51:33 pm »
Subversive homosexual propaganda would probably have ensured losing most of my generation anyway. Trump, however, is not helping.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 08:58:59 pm »
Nope. He's too liberal.

Not for the general population.  He impressed a lot of "middle of the road" folks with his interest in working together.  As offensive as that might be for us, it appeals to a vast swath of people hovering near the center, who are appalled by Hillary (and equally or more by Trump).

As you well know, Kasich is too liberal for me, but I'm not a centrist.

He would have beaten Hillary, just on his integrity........ which Trump entirely lacks.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 09:33:09 pm »
Well we tried that with Romney in 2012 against a vulnerable Obama and it didn't work neither.  I'm sorry I just don't see any of the other candidates winning, all of them had huge flaws as well, that's why none of them could beat out Trump in the end.  Or we would have been stuck with somebody "Dem-Lite", like Kasich.

The problem wasn't the other candidates.  There is no reason to believe John, Ted, Marco, or Jeb would have suffered the type of meltdown Trump is undergoing.  These men had well-developed positions and the experience of winning elections.

At some point, you have to blame the voters.  There was never any chance a disgusting man like Trump would or should be sworn in as President.  We have a serious cultural problem on the right - one that excuses or perhaps identifies with the same character flaws as Trump.  At least part of the coalition does, and there is no hiding it now.