Author Topic: Why Evan McMullin Is Important  (Read 1552 times)

cuky

Why Evan McMullin Is Important
« on: August 16, 2016, 02:09:42 pm »
Why Evan McMullin Is Important

http://observer.com/2016/08/why-evan-mcmullin-is-important/

Last week, former CIA undercover agent Evan McMullin got confirmation that he will be on the ballot in Colorado. He is officially a candidate for President in 2016.

Pundits have said that one more is too late, and not enough—that backing someone other than New York tycoon Donald Trump or former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is “throwing away your vote.” But this is a special election at a special moment in history.
The two-party system is much like the Ford guys and the Chevy guys, before other cars—better cars—appeared in the streets. The two-party system is a generic model of politics for a generic model of culture, personality and citizenship. Throwing in with the Ford guys and Chevy guys would be throwing away your vote. One has more inspired and humane options in this remarkable time of new political beginnings.
I said a year ago that Trump was “the Trickster who churns the ages, and the others’ fate depends on where they stand in relation to the Trickster. He is the one necessary component in the campaign so far. Without Trump, there is nothing.”

Other commentators made a similar observation: Corey Pein in The Baffler, “I propose that Donald Trump is the personification of a Norse god named Loki.” And Esther Goldberg in The American Spectator says Trump is best explained and illuminated by Friedrich Nietzsche in an allegory from Thus Spoke Zarathustra of a tightrope walker moving intrepidly between the ages.
The Trickster destroys the past. But without the Trickster, there is no possible future. And when his work is done, Trickster returns to the forest. Or, as Trump says he might do if he does not achieve his White House goal, he then takes “a very nice long vacation.”
McMullin appears to have come to us from nowhere, having emerged out of the darkest corners of the collective unconscious, that otherworld which undercover CIA agents inhabit. And he comes alone. Those of us outside the Beltway know little about him, but first impressions bring intuitive hunches. A 16-minute TedX talk at the London Business School, “Why saying ‘never again’ to genocide is not enough,” reveals an astonishingly singular man, fearless in his daily walk and resolute in a kind of personal piety that we rarely see in our time.

McMullin is on the ballot in Colorado, and will be in Utah, along with many other states, as he lays out his 50-state strategy.

The presence of McMullin opens a path which will widen in October. He makes the fledgling Greens and Libertarians suddenly irrelevant—now they won’t get the 15 percent needed to be on the stage at the debates with Trump and Clinton. McMullin will. He may even have his 15 percent by summer’s end.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Why Evan McMullin Is Important
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 02:25:26 pm »
The presence of McMullin opens a path which will widen in October. He makes the fledgling Greens and Libertarians suddenly irrelevant—now they won’t get the 15 percent needed to be on the stage at the debates with Trump and Clinton. McMullin will. He may even have his 15 percent by summer’s end.
That's rich for a guy who came in too late to even qualify for most of the ballots and whose name is known by virtually nobody.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 02:30:26 pm »
Bernie Quigley,

http://www.dailykos.com/user/Bernie%20Quigley

Enough said, you can't make this stuff up.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:33:12 pm by TomSea »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 02:41:32 pm »
That caught my eye also as being in fantasia.  Right now, Evan is looking as an option of someone I can support. Whatever else happens is just a plus for me at this point.
However, if he could get a couple of high name endorsements, pick a well known running mate, and continue his interviews on major networks.....who knows what will happen
in this crazy year where we have a man who sprays his face orange, is psychologically unstable, and unquestionable by all a con man heading up the GOP party.

He is looking pretty good to me as well my friend!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 03:33:38 pm »
He is looking pretty good to me as well my friend!

I'm still on the fence. The fact that Rick Wilson holds a prominent position in his campaign is a disqualifier, for now.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 03:47:53 pm »
That caught my eye also as being in fantasia.  Right now, Evan is looking as an option of someone I can support. Whatever else happens is just a plus for me at this point.
However, if he could get a couple of high name endorsements, pick a well known running mate, and continue his interviews on major networks.....who knows what will happen
in this crazy year where we have a man who sprays his face orange, is psychologically unstable, and unquestionable by all a con man heading up the GOP party.

The people who would vote for him are not people who would vote for Hillary, and Trump's supporters aren't going to abandon Trump for McMullin.  If people are going to vote for McMullin simply because they cannot stand voting for either Trump or Hillary, then it's essentially a statement vote that won't affect any results.  Beyond that, there is zero chance of him actually winning any states, or ensuring that Hillary doesn't win any states.