Author Topic: Is Linux Too Dumbed Down?  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Is Linux Too Dumbed Down?
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 07:47:17 pm »
http://www.ostechnix.com/how-to-install-windows-powershell-in-linux/

I skimmed that link, and I'm curious--is there any advantage to PowerShell over BASH or csh?  In other words, would Linux users who are already familiar with shell scripting get anything new from PowerShell?  I can see if experienced Windows PowerShell users wanted to have a familiar interface on non-Windows systems, but is there any benefit for the rest of us?
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 09:31:41 pm »
I wouldn't take it that way.  That's the thing about Windows:  until Powershell was developed you basically couldn't do scripting worth a hill of beans.  CMD was basically useful for setting a few things up to go off at a certain time and doing simple file rename/copy/move/delete chores, but any more sophisticated scripting was out of the question. 

I'll take exception to that - I love the DOS/CMD environment... I am probably to be considered native there. It is a different approach than bash, but that doesn't make that approach invalid.

One of my complaints in learning to live with *nix is the plethora of arcane switches built into the executables - Yes the executables are far more powerful, inevitably, there are many switches in each one that I will never use. But so many options were very hard for me to remember - even to this day, I have to hit the man pages to figure out what I want anything to do.

DOS, and later CMD, are not as robust - that is certainly true. But I find cmd to be more usable on the fly, because I DO know (in my head) it's capabilities. And what grew out of the Win/DOS ecosystem, was a less deliberate, but more facile way - I don't expect the cmd line to do all I want - I write what I want and add that to the basic system. Every DOShead I know has an extensive toy box somewhere on the PATH. Some of those are staples in the DOS community (Schaeffer's WBAT was in my kit from DOS 6 through to XP SP-2) others are custom (I wrote LSTFile.exe specifically as a list processing tool and bang-counter, and like many others, I also wrote an INIFile.exe as a means of accessing, changing, and remembering storable options.)

Now, all that makes for a less portable system - One has to be ever aware of dependencies (and break your batches if they are not found) and there is a big problem keeping up with the OS - I had over 300 batches and executables break over the DOS to NT switch in Win2k, and the same happened again in XP SP-2...

But even with that, I much prefer DOS/CMD. I find powershell to be just as cumbersome as bash is. Maybe that's because my environment is so very customized to the way I do things - It is very personalized to !ME! I prefer that to conforming myself to thinking that I don't naturally define for myself.

So in summary, like I said, I don't think one or the other is superior - They are different, with different mindsets - Somehow, I was able, for all those many years, to work script magic in DOS and CMD to make it do things no one thought it could. Even today, there's a cmd box open at all times - And the tools I write tend to be in the no man's land, with one foot in Windows and the other on the cmdline.

Offline LaRueLaDue

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 09:42:06 pm »
Not intending to start any kind of flame war, but in the Linux/Unix world we call that shell scripting, and we've been doing it for at least 20 years.  Just saying...

Just twenty years? Wow, a noob!   :laugh:

Offline ThePatriotFile

• #NEVERCLINTON
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 10:05:58 pm »
Have tried several Linux distros... my favorite is Linux Mint.   Of all the ones I tried, it has all the important features that just worked without extra tweaking or config file editing.  You can still do all the command line stuff you want, but for my purposes, don't have a need for that.

My home file server I use as a media center and file storage is running Mint.   Sharing was simple to setup and it has been running solid for about 3 months set it up, stuck it in a corner and just pretty much forget about it. 

Not trying to pat myself on the back, just sharing what is possible.
I occasionally pickup and fix old computers and give to people who need them.  Usually they are old windows xp era computers. Fixed one last month installed Mint, set it to autoupdate and gave it away.  I didn't install windows because of the cost.  But the person I gave it to, had never used Linux had no idea what it is, and couldn't be happier. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 01:30:22 am »
I wouldn't take it that way.  That's the thing about Windows:  until Powershell was developed you basically couldn't do scripting worth a hill of beans. 

Completely untrue. VBS and wscript was just Windows preferred method of scripting until Powershell came along.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 01:32:41 am »
Have tried several Linux distros... my favorite is Linux Mint.   Of all the ones I tried, it has all the important features that just worked without extra tweaking or config file editing.  You can still do all the command line stuff you want, but for my purposes, don't have a need for that.

My home file server I use as a media center and file storage is running Mint.   Sharing was simple to setup and it has been running solid for about 3 months set it up, stuck it in a corner and just pretty much forget about it. 

Not trying to pat myself on the back, just sharing what is possible.
I occasionally pickup and fix old computers and give to people who need them.  Usually they are old windows xp era computers. Fixed one last month installed Mint, set it to autoupdate and gave it away.  I didn't install windows because of the cost.  But the person I gave it to, had never used Linux had no idea what it is, and couldn't be happier. 

I tried Linux Mint and did not have a good experience. Drivers were lacking, especially the bluetooth audio drivers. Also had the same problem many LInux distros have with sleep/wake.

Ubuntu is about the only Linux desktop I've used that is adequate.

geronl

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 01:52:45 am »
I tried Linux Mint and did not have a good experience. Drivers were lacking, especially the bluetooth audio drivers. Also had the same problem many LInux distros have with sleep/wake.

Ubuntu is about the only Linux desktop I've used that is adequate.

did you try Ubuntu Studio? It's more media oriented.

https://ubuntustudio.org/