Author Topic: The Hill: GOP Fears Grow Trump Facing 'Landslide Defeat'  (Read 590 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Hill: GOP Fears Grow Trump Facing 'Landslide Defeat'
« on: August 13, 2016, 10:28:45 pm »

Newsmax
The Hill: GOP Fears Grow Trump Facing 'Landslide Defeat'
Saturday, August 13, 2016 02:25 PM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

As GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump's numbers continue to drop in the polls, fears are growing that he's heading for a landslide defeat to Democratic rival Hillary Clinton this fall and Republicans are fearing that could translate to a loss of party majority holds in the House and Senate, according to a GOP expert.

"He's in big trouble right now," GOP strategist Ron Bonjean told The Hill. "If we're at this same point after Labor Day where it looks like we're still spiraling into a black hole, I fully expect you'll start to see resources directed to protecting our majorities in the House and Senate."

This past week alone, Trump faced increasing opposition from his own party, including from powerful Maine Sen. Susan Collins, who said she backed out because of concerns over his policy positions and after his attacks toward a Gold Star family who spoke against him at the Democratic National Convention.

She joined numerous current and former GOP lawmakers and officials in opposing Trump. But aside from Republicans who say they won't vote for him, he faces a bigger potential issue following a letter written by more than 70 Republican lawmakers and operatives demanding the Republican National Committee pull back its funding from his campaign.

But both Trump and RNC officials say the media is exaggerating tensions between the two, and RNC Chairman Reince Priebus appeared at a Trump rally in Erie, Pennsylvania on Friday to introduce the nominee and reaffirm his support for the campaign, reports USA Today.

"Don't believe the garbage you read," Priebus told the crowd. "Despite the biased media, this man is going to win."

The appearance came after reports that Priebus was angry at Trump for his initial reluctance to endorse House Speaker Paul Ryan's reelection bid, and after a report came out this past week that the chairman warned Trump the party would not back him if he did not make a pivot in his race.

Such talk is "wishful thinking" by Trump's opponents, an adviser, Kellyanne Conway, told The Hill, saying the nominee is working with the RNC to work out a strategy for victory.

But other Republicans told The Hill that even if the RNC doesn't publicly renounce Trump, it could still hurt his campaign by shifting funds toward Congressional races.

According to a Real Clear Politics poll average, Clinton is polling at nearly 7 percentage points over Trump, but GOP pollster Frank Luntz said those numbers could be erased once the presidential debates begin.

"No one is really paying attention to the election right now — August is always the slowest month of the political year," Luntz told The HIll. "But come September, Trump will need a more unified, strategic and disciplined message and party. Labor Day is the pivot point. And a brilliant debate performance changes everything."

http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=743472
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

Re: The Hill: GOP Fears Grow Trump Facing 'Landslide Defeat'
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 11:08:41 pm »
including from powerful Maine Sen. Susan Collins

I nearly coughed up my cookie... powerful??

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 11:10:37 pm »
The country is too divide to anticipate a landslide anything for either candidate. Especially this year when both candidates are so loathed by the public at large
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 11:24:18 pm »
And a brilliant debate performance changes everything."

Raise your hands. How many of you think Trump is capable of a "brilliant debate performance"?  He didn't have one in the primaries (no matter what the phony Drudge polls said) and he doesn't have the brianpower or desire to even learn enough to parry back and forth with Hillary.  She will expose his ignorance and hammer it.  It wouldn't surprise me if he melts down and starts attacking the moderators.

The debates may change things, but not in the way Trump wants.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 11:26:46 pm »
Raise your hands. How many of you think Trump is capable of a "brilliant debate performance"?  He didn't have one in the primaries (no matter what the phony Drudge polls said) and he doesn't have the brianpower or desire to even learn enough to parry back and forth with Hillary.  She will expose his ignorance and hammer it.  It wouldn't surprise me if he melts down and starts attacking the moderators.

The debates may change things, but not in the way Trump wants.

I fully expect the mods to cut his mic if he tries to turn these debates into the clown show the Rebublican debates were. If that happens I believe he may stroke out.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 11:42:39 pm »
One thing is for certain, it will go down in history.  As what is yet to be written.  But folks will be talking about the election of 2016 for years and years to come  So there's one thing that we will be able to say years from now when we are sitting around the Campfire with our grandson/daughters on our knees, and when they ask you, What did you do in the great election of 16?  We won't have to say, well, I shoveled shit in Louisiana and let that bastard Trump into the White House.