Author Topic: USAF seeks two new close-air support aircraft  (Read 427 times)

rangerrebew

USAF seeks two new close-air support aircraft
« on: August 13, 2016, 10:17:56 am »
USAF seeks two new close-air support aircraft

24 July, 2016 BY: Leigh Giangreco Washington DC

The US Air Force is considering two new procurements to boost their close air support mission, including an off-the-shelf option for permissive environments and a cheap, clean sheet design aircraft that would replace the Fairchild Republic A-10.

In a recent briefing, air force officials laid out their plan for the light-attack OA-X and the A-X2, a short-term replacement for the A-10. The service is looking at an initial order of about 20 aircraft for the OA-X mission a early as next year, with serious procurement launching in Fiscal 2018, Dan Goure, an analyst at the Lexington Institute, tells FlightGlobal. To meet that rapid need, the service is examining two fully developed aircraft, Beechcraft’s AT-6 and Embraer’s A-29 Super Tucano, and are planning a “fly off” for this fall.

The air force has excluded Textron AirLand’s Scorpion, a dual light attack fighter and trainer aircraft still in its development phase, as an option for OA-X.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/usaf-seeks-two-new-close-air-support-aircraft-427769/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:18:42 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: USAF seeks two new close-air support aircraft
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:29:08 am »
Maybe it's me, but from what I have heard, the A-10 is about the ultimate CAS aircraft. From what I have seen, in the right hands they are awesomely nimble and their firepower and survivability are the stuff of legend.

I don' t get it. Why replace it?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis