Author Topic: Linux Media Creation: Top Apps  (Read 805 times)

Offline Blizzardnh

Linux Media Creation: Top Apps
« on: August 14, 2016, 12:25:11 pm »
Linux media creation has no lack of highly functional apps, as this survey of Linux media apps demonstrates.

(Page 1 of 2)

Historically, Linux media creation has gotten a bad rap. The reasons why vary, but usually it's due to legacy applications from powerful media companies that sell expensive software. In this article, I’ll dive into the truth about Linux media creation. I’ll also focus on what software usually holds folks back and how they compare to their open source alternatives.
Photography media creation with Linux

When you take photos with your smart phone or a camera, those images are then available to be downloaded onto your computer. The trick here, however, is then which software will you use to organize, edit and tweak those photos? For proprietary operating systems, the goto programs include Adobe software titles. Applications like Photoshop, Lightroom, and the corresponding photo management tools built into the operating system by default.

With modern Linux distributions, the software titles most commonly used include GIMP, Darktable, and the corresponding photo management tools built into the operating system. Where things differ is less with Darktable vs Lightroom, more with Photoshop vs GIMP. Ask anyone who uses Photoshop if they'd consider using GIMP, usually you'll be told no. There are exceptions, but most die-hard Photoshop users don't love the idea of switching to a program with a different work flow.

When it comes to GIMP, professional photographer Riley Brandt offers great GIMP tips that might give other photographers something to think about. Working with RAW images means less time with Photoshop and more time with RAW compatible editors. This means a photographer could spend most of their time with a Linux compatible RAW editor like Darktable or Lightzone and the other 10% of their time in GIMP.

more here:

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/linux-media-creation-top-apps-1.html

Offline ShadowAce

Re: Linux Media Creation: Top Apps
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 01:12:14 pm »

geronl

Re: Linux Media Creation: Top Apps
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 06:49:15 pm »
The only thing I missed with Linux was the games, but I don't play games much anyway. Of course if that Linux laptop I have had 8 gb of RAM instead of 2, there would be a lot of games it could play.