Author Topic: Surprise! Paying A Mortgage Is Cheaper Than Renting In 42 States  (Read 673 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: INVESTORS BUSINESS DAILY

URL: http://www.investors.com/etfs-and-funds/personal-finance/surprise-paying-a-mortgage-is-cheaper-than-renting-in-42-states/

by: Paul Katzeff

Many people believe that renting is less expensive than owning a house. But it turns out it's actually cheaper to pay a monthly mortgage than rent in 42 states. Renting is a better bargain financially in just eight states plus the District of Columbia, according to the personal finance website GOBankingRates.com.

//note: excerpted.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:10:30 pm by AbaraXas »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Surprise! Paying A Mortgage Is Cheaper Than Renting In 42 States
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 04:57:12 am »
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see a single mention of those picayune little property tax payments that homeowners need to come up with annually. The  median home price in SoCal is about $466K and rising so a down payment would be, what 24K to 94K? And that's if you can find a home that isn't be be bought over asking price by Chinese and others for CASH! My Daughter and SIL who make decent wages and are pre qualified keep having properties they are interested in bid way over asking and out of their purchasing ability. Last year when I had to sell my home I thought it would be a long process, wrong, it sold in less than a week for more than the asking price. Now we are back in an apartment, I'm not thrilled but no property tax, no maintenance and upkeep, no water/trash/sewer bill.