Author Topic: Your Bill of Rights. What's It Actually Worth To You?  (Read 4138 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Your Bill of Rights. What's It Actually Worth To You?
« on: August 10, 2016, 07:31:09 pm »
On a scale of 1 to 10 how many here believe that the Bill of Rights is their personal property?

How many believe that the Bill of Rights protects them from government, or is Supposed to protect them from government?

We can all expound upon the never ending erosion of it with example after example, but the question is, at base, as a bedrock starting point, WHAT is the ENTIRE Bill of Rights actually worth to you?

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: Your Bill of Rights. What's It Actually Worth To You?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 06:58:17 pm »
2 days. 27 views. No responses.

Looks like we don't give our Rights much thought today.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 07:12:29 pm »
It's worth my giving up on the two party system and voting Constitution Party this year as they seem to be the only ones that reference it in their party platform.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 07:13:32 pm »
I'm going to be cynical and say somewhere between a double mocha and our lives. I've been coming to the realization that most people don't think in terms of rights anymore. They in terms of oughts. There ought to be a law, people ought to eat healthy, etc. Few people ask if the government or others have an right to impose these oughts. As for me give me liberty or give me death. Just my 2 cents.

“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 07:17:03 pm »
I'm going to be cynical and say somewhere between a double mocha and our lives. I've been coming to the realization that most people don't think in terms of rights anymore. They in terms of oughts. There ought to be a law, people ought to eat healthy, etc. Few people ask if the government or others have an right to impose these oughts. As for me give me liberty or give me death. Just my 2 cents.
Hammer, meet nail.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 04:48:46 am »
I am afraid you are right. As for most of those oughts, if people just minded their own business a mite more, there wouldn't be so many.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rodamala

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 05:03:29 pm »
Given the 2 uniparty candidates we are being forced to pick from for the chief executive; a feckless, unrepresentative legislative branch, and a judiciary that has overstepped is bounds and has taken on the duties of the other 2 branches, ruling like kings by their own orders... As a member of the commonwealth of Pennsylvania's militia, I sure am glad that 2A exists... you know... so I can hunt Bambi, and defend my farm from murderers... with my musket.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 07:55:14 pm »
The Bill of Rights no longer exists, as Rights.

It has been so badly raped by legislatures tacking on one anti constitutional act after another that our Courts have been instructed to ignore questions of Constitutionality in favor of standing Case Law addressing violation of lesser statutes. (which are supposed to be based upon Not violating the bill of Rights to begin with)

The Bill of Rights exists as a desideratum today, UNLESS, you have the money to argue infringements of your former Rights all the way to the Supreme Court. And that's just to Have your complaint even heard, much less adjudicated correctly.

We Have NO Rights today. We have Government regulable Privileges due to endless tinkering by legislatures and politically appointed Judges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_avoidance

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 09:42:49 pm »
The Bill of Rights no longer exists, as Rights.

It has been so badly raped by legislatures tacking on one anti constitutional act after another that our Courts have been instructed to ignore questions of Constitutionality in favor of standing Case Law addressing violation of lesser statutes. (which are supposed to be based upon Not violating the bill of Rights to begin with)

The Bill of Rights exists as a desideratum today, UNLESS, you have the money to argue infringements of your former Rights all the way to the Supreme Court. And that's just to Have your complaint even heard, much less adjudicated correctly.

We Have NO Rights today. We have Government regulable Privileges due to endless tinkering by legislatures and politically appointed Judges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_avoidance
Sad but true.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 10:48:53 pm »
Sad but true.
   @Idaho_Cowboy @To-Whose-Benefit?

I disagree.
We still have our Rights. Those are unalienable, God-given Rights and no court has the authority to take them away, only to violate them.

The question becomes one of whether enough people have the courage to resist that violation, come what may, to deter the courts and legislatures and other arms of government from violating them.

If someone trespasses on your property, that doesn't make it any less yours.

They need to get off our lawn.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:55:49 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 06:38:19 pm »
   @Idaho_Cowboy @To-Whose-Benefit?

I disagree.
We still have our Rights. Those are unalienable, God-given Rights and no court has the authority to take them away, only to violate them.

The question becomes one of whether enough people have the courage to resist that violation, come what may, to deter the courts and legislatures and other arms of government from violating them.

If someone trespasses on your property, that doesn't make it any less yours.

They need to get off our lawn.

I hear you!  :patriot:

Sadly, it's been reduced to become a millionaire and fight it on up to the Supreme Court, or get yourself killed or tossed in the joint for refusing to play ball, because Judges will tell you flat out, NO!, No such and such Amendment. We are not allowing any of that stuff in this Court!

It happened to a friend on mine on a 4th Amendment Violation.

He told the police he was on his own property and didn't want to talk to them. Turned his back on them, went inside, and closed his door.

Cop stuck a shoe in the door.

My friend underwent Court ordered community service (picking up trash) retina surgery and thousands in legal fees from a worse than useless lawyer.

The eye surgery?

2 cops chased him inside into the rear of his building and beat him in the head with a flashlight.

Their impromptu, warrant-less probable cause?

Someone else in the complex had been robbed.

Hell'uva country we've become.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 06:40:24 pm »
I hear you!  :patriot:

Sadly, it's been reduced to become a millionaire and fight it on up to the Supreme Court, or get yourself killed or tossed in the joint for refusing to play ball, because Judges will tell you flat out, NO!, No such and such Amendment. We are not allowing any of that stuff in this Court!

It happened to a friend on mine on a 4th Amendment Violation.

He told the police he was on his own property and didn't want to talk to them. Turned his back on them, went inside, and closed his door.

Cop stuck a shoe in the door.

My friend underwent Court ordered community service (picking up trash) retina surgery and thousands in legal fees from a worse than useless lawyer.

The eye surgery?

2 cops chased him inside into the rear of his building and beat him in the head with a flashlight.

Their impromptu, warrant-less probable cause?

Someone else in the complex had been robbed.

The Cop gets on the stand explaining why the flashlight, and holds up his shoe to display some invisible mark on the side of the sole.

Hell'uva country we've become.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 07:39:54 pm »
Laura Ingraham’s Site Bashes the “Constitution Worship” of Ted Cruz and Ben Shapiro

http://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2016/08/22/laura-ingrahams-site-bashes-constitution-worship-ted-cruz-ben-shapiro/

I'd rather worship the constitution than the toe jam of Orange Glorious

people such as Ted Cruz have largely forgotten because we attempt to nation build and our constitution was written for us, not for everyone else in the world.

So Ted Cruz is the guy who resists getting involved in Libya and Syria is now a "Nation builder"?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:42:27 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 07:46:10 pm »
My Rights do not come from a piece of paper, they come from the Most High.

That piece of paper simply states what the government has no authority to do, infringe upon, regulate or abolish.

So it is irrelevant what the tyranny of men decide to do to in terms of the above.

I do not plan on complying with their "laws", because they have demonstrated that they have absolutely no authority beyond the guns their agents will put to our heads.

Which makes them no different than the meth-head who comes breaking into my home in the middle of the night looking to impose his will.

Learn the words 'I refuse to comply' and be prepared to live Henry's exhortation.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 07:55:45 pm »
I heard a good quote this weekend. (paraphrased)

Every time government comes to fix a problem, we should ask, how can we fix this by increasing freedom?

It seems the discussion about individual rights is always about the erosion, because that is the default thinking of government and politicians. To fix an issue, some right somewhere has to be restricted. I have yet to see a problem, since probably the elimination or prohibition, that was solved by increasing freedom and liberty.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 08:21:21 pm »
It seems the discussion about individual rights is always about the erosion, because that is the default thinking of government and politicians. To fix an issue, some right somewhere has to be restricted. I have yet to see a problem, since probably the elimination or prohibition, that was solved by increasing freedom and liberty.

Because this people do not want liberty.  They want license and provision, that is all.

It is human nature to desire slavery and the empty promise of security+ by mere obedience to men and their institutions.

When God brought Israel out of Egypt - the people murmured and actually planned to go back to Egypt and back into slavery, considering it better for them than the risk liberty offered. Mankind wants the benefits of liberty, but not the risk or responsibility associated with it.

Jefferson wrote of this in the Declaration, mankind is more disposed to suffer evil, while evil is sufferable than abolish to that which he has become accustomed.

This people are accustomed to big statism.  They want it.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 09:38:46 pm »
Because this people do not want liberty.  They want license and provision, that is all.

It is human nature to desire slavery and the empty promise of security+ by mere obedience to men and their institutions.

When God brought Israel out of Egypt - the people murmured and actually planned to go back to Egypt and back into slavery, considering it better for them than the risk liberty offered. Mankind wants the benefits of liberty, but not the risk or responsibility associated with it.

Jefferson wrote of this in the Declaration, mankind is more disposed to suffer evil, while evil is sufferable than abolish to that which he has become accustomed.

This people are accustomed to big statism.  They want it.

Mankind is also deposed to want to control others, so the concept of individual liberty is abhorrent to most. Even if they aren't directly in control, they want to feel like being part of the controlling group. Try to someone of any political proclivity that 'it is not your money and it is none of your business' and you'll get an immediate push back.