Author Topic: Windows 10 achieves 21% market share: Windows 7 still leads  (Read 2456 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Windows 10 achieves 21% market share: Windows 7 still leads
« on: August 09, 2016, 09:01:19 pm »
SOURCE: TWCN TECH NEWS

http://news.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-achieves-21-percent-market-share-windows-7-still-leads-85221/

A full year has passed, and according to reports from Net Market Share, Windows 10 has managed to gain over 21.14 percent market share, but still lagging behind Windows 7, an operating system with over 47.01 percent shares. This is a big deal for Microsoft seeing as Windows 10 is growing, and could eventually overtake Windows 7 by 2017.

Windows 8.1 on the other hand, could only muster a market share of nearly 8 percent, a clear sign that this operating system was not widely adopted during its short reign. As for Windows XP, it is still ahead of Windows 8.1 with a market share of 10.34 percent.

Windows 10 market share

It’s going to be much difficult seeing as the free upgrade period has ended. Then again, if some Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users wanted to upgrade, they would have done so long ago. Furthermore, we understand it is still possible to upgrade by following this simple, yet effective, trick.

Microsoft has yet to reveal the number of devices being powered by Windows 10 after the July 29, 2016, free upgrade deadline. Before, the company announced that around 350 million devices were powered by the operating system, a number that has grown since.

Microsoft, at the moment, is preparing to release the Anniversary Update set for August 2, 2016. That’s the same date the 2TB Xbox One S will be officially available at retail outlets in the United States and other parts of the world. The Anniversary Update will come for Windows 10 PC and Windows 10 Mobile.

We hope the continued success of Windows 10 will see the rise of more UWP apps, but most importantly, the popular ones that are found on Android and iOS.

Oceander

Re: Windows 10 achieves 21% market share: Windows 7 still leads
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 03:18:27 am »
Windows XP still has 10% market share?!?!?!?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 12:44:53 am »
I have Windows 10, and I love it.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

geronl

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 07:35:57 am »

I hear a lot of ATM's, ticket machines, cash registers and such are based on WinXP

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 08:02:25 am »
I have six computers still running it. They all work fine, do what I need, so far, why "upgrade"?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 10:31:35 am »
I hear a lot of ATM's, ticket machines, cash registers and such are based on WinXP

They are, and, unfortunately, that does leave them open to hacking if they're connected to a network (not necessarily the internet) and/or somebody other than a trusted insider can insert a USB drive into them.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:35:20 am »
I have six computers still running it. They all work fine, do what I need, so far, why "upgrade"?

If the machines were originally designed for XP (or at the time that XP was still an available option), then they probably couldn't upgrade to Win10 (or, most likely, Win7 or later).

Of course, WinXP is a well-studied OS for hackers, so depending on whether they're connected to the internet, and depending on where you surf and what you interact with, they may be more exposed than is safe.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 10:40:11 am »
I've been running a new laptop for work with Win10 and I have to say that I'm not any more impressed with it than with, say, Win7 or Win8.1.  My primary home system is a DTR laptop running Vista - because it was a beast when I bought it and can still run better than a lot of run-of-the-mill systems available now - and I find that system preferable to Win10 in terms of functionality.  In particular, I find the ersatz touch-screen/mobile device based new interface to be a real PITA.  I also cannot stand Cortana.  Finally, the new Edge browser seems beside the point, and I swapped it out for IE11, which is still available on Win10, within about an hour or so of trying it.  However, to be fair, I generally don't use IE anyways; I find Firefox, and even Opera, to be much more congenial than IE.

Basically, my take on Win10 is meh; I can take it or leave it, and the only reason I have it on the new laptop is because that's what the laptop came with.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 11:35:39 am »

I like Win 10 as well.  Hated Win 8.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 12:22:14 pm »

Same here. My computer now boots up (and shuts down) within seconds. My old version took forever to start up.

@kevindavis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 02:37:02 pm »
If the machines were originally designed for XP (or at the time that XP was still an available option), then they probably couldn't upgrade to Win10 (or, most likely, Win7 or later).

Of course, WinXP is a well-studied OS for hackers, so depending on whether they're connected to the internet, and depending on where you surf and what you interact with, they may be more exposed than is safe.
They were designed for XP, and I haven't tried to upgrade any of the laptops. Why go to a system which would just bog down? The first rule of security is not putting things where they can be taken. There is little personal, no financial information on those, and nothing sensitive. I don't bank online, don't even use ATMs. I have found that keeps information safer.
Predators may like low hanging fruit, but they also run with the herd.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 12:55:03 pm »
They were designed for XP, and I haven't tried to upgrade any of the laptops. Why go to a system which would just bog down? The first rule of security is not putting things where they can be taken. There is little personal, no financial information on those, and nothing sensitive. I don't bank online, don't even use ATMs. I have found that keeps information safer.
Predators may like low hanging fruit, but they also run with the herd.

If they were designed for WinXP then best to leave them on WinXP.  If it were me, and if I were tempted to upgrade them, at this point I would only upgrade to some linux variant (most linux flavors can run quite well on even very old equipment).  Not only would an upgrade to something like 7, 8.1, or 10 bog them down, almost certainly they could not run those OSes at all; the most they might be able to handle would be Vista, but there is absolutely no sense upgrading to Vista - if you can even find valid copies any more - because Vista is on extended support, i.e., it only gets certain security updates, and will not get any support at all, not even security updates, as of April 11, 2017 (less than a year from now).

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 12:57:32 pm »
Same here. My computer now boots up (and shuts down) within seconds. My old version took forever to start up.

@kevindavis

@mirraflake
@Just_Victor

When my laptop had Windows 8, it was slow as hell and it did take forever to boot up.. Right now I have the Windows 10 anniversary edition and it is even better than Windows 10.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 01:26:27 pm »
My techie daughter did the 10 install for me.  Backed up everything of importance to keep mom from a meltdown and voila..........
If nothing else, those darned pop ups trying to install 10 are gone.....until next upgrade no doubt.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 07:05:10 pm »
If they were designed for WinXP then best to leave them on WinXP.  If it were me, and if I were tempted to upgrade them, at this point I would only upgrade to some linux variant (most linux flavors can run quite well on even very old equipment).  Not only would an upgrade to something like 7, 8.1, or 10 bog them down, almost certainly they could not run those OSes at all; the most they might be able to handle would be Vista, but there is absolutely no sense upgrading to Vista - if you can even find valid copies any more - because Vista is on extended support, i.e., it only gets certain security updates, and will not get any support at all, not even security updates, as of April 11, 2017 (less than a year from now).
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not upgrading, just waiting for a decent system to eventually move up to. These do all I need for now. I do have one which I have considered putting Linux on, but know nothing of Linux. What would be the best distro to get started with, and are there windows emulators for the proprietary software I run?

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 07:10:02 pm »
If I had an older machine, like WinXP, I would definitely stick Linux on it.

I still have good thoughts for Win98 because there were some games I really liked back then.

geronl

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 07:12:33 pm »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not upgrading, just waiting for a decent system to eventually move up to. These do all I need for now. I do have one which I have considered putting Linux on, but know nothing of Linux. What would be the best distro to get started with, and are there windows emulators for the proprietary software I run?

Some Windows software will run under WINE, which used to be complicated and not everything will work) or you could keep a Windows OS on the hdd and run it virtually inside Linux. (I have never done that)