Author Topic: Armed with junk science and old photos, critics question #HillarysHealth  (Read 19369 times)

Offline sinkspur

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/08/08/armed-with-junk-science-and-old-photos-critics-question-hillaryshealth/

Armed with junk science and old photos, critics question #HillarysHealth

By David Weigel August 8 at 12:00 PM

The first week of August was a rough one for Donald Trump's campaign; by coincidence, it was also a busy one for Trump supporters, who see a media coverup protecting Hillary Clinton. Over the weekend, the Trump campaign released a Web ad that mocked Clinton's admission that she "short-circuited" by giving a misleading answer about the investigation into her emails.

"She took a short-circuit in the brain," Trump said at a Saturday night rally. "She's got problems. Honestly, I don't think she's all there."

At the same time, the Drudge Report, WorldNetDaily and a small army of would-be Twitter sleuths tried to build the case that the Democratic nominee for president has serious health issues and only they had noticed. Clinton's age and health had been subject to parody by some conservative media, but the new speculation was completely serious.

None of the evidence, often shared (or sent to reporters) with the hashtag #HillarysHealth, held up. In every case, a Clinton moment that had been captured by the media was reinterpreted and wrenched out of context. The highest-profile #HillarysHealth discovery came at the American Mirror, an obscure conservative news site with what it packaged as a scoop — "SHOCK PHOTO" — but had been aggregated from Twitter.

"The questionable health condition of Hillary Clinton should be a major issue of the 2016 campaign," wrote the site's editor, Kyle Olson. "The latest evidence comes in the form of Clinton being helped up a set of stairs by multiple individuals outside what appears to be a home. The photos, published by Reuters and Getty, show the 68-year-old candidate with aides holding her arms as she ascends the stairs."

Olson shared two photos of Clinton, shot from behind, being helped as she unsteadily ascended the stairs. He left out the context: The photos were from February. As CNN's Brian Stelter first noticed, Getty Images had published the photos during Clinton's South Carolina primary campaign. The photo agency noted, in its caption, that Clinton had been steadied after slipping on the stairs.

But the American Mirror's version of the story went viral, with help from the Drudge Report. The photos led that site for most of Sunday. As of Monday morning, the original post had been shared more than 20,000 times on Facebook.

Asked why he did not note the timing of the photo in his story, Olson explained that "Hillary Clinton's health is an ongoing issue during the campaign" and that any issues could be resolved if she released her full medical records. (Like previous candidates for president, she has so far released a letter from her physician, which says that she had a concussion in 2012 and has hyperthyroidism now.)

"She should be transparent and inform Americans about her health status," Olson said. "As for the timing of the photos and my writing about them, as Hillary Clinton said, 'What different, at this point, does it make?' The broader point is that she appears to have issues and Americans deserve to know about them."

Indeed, for other websites critical of Clinton, the "stairs" photo was just one part of a #HillarysHealth mosaic. It gave WorldNetDaily a hook to resurrect "a July 21 video posted on YouTube [which] shows Clinton’s head suddenly turning and shaking vigorously for several seconds." That video, titled "Hillary Clinton has seizure/convulsions - tries to play it off making fun of seizures," was also robbed of its context. Two clips of Clinton bobbing her head had been looped and slowed down, as ominous music and voice-overs played behind them — a combination that helped the clip score 1.4 million views.

The clip wasn't from July 21, and (as the scrum of media should have indicated) it wasn't rescued from pro-Clinton censors. It was from June 10, when Clinton, fresh off a series of wins that effectively locked up the Democratic nomination, held a few events ahead of the District of Columbia's primary. Beat reporters followed Clinton to a coffee shop in the Shaw neighborhood; CNN's Dan Merica, to her left, asked her about the breaking news of President Obama's official endorsement. Then, to her right, the Associated Press's Lisa Lerer asked a question about Elizabeth Warren, whom Clinton had met with as vice presidential speculation swirled.

The reporters, who had covered Clinton for a year, interpreted her exaggerated head-bobbing as a joke at how she'd been suddenly surrounded — and as a successful attempt at ending the scrum. It did not occur to them that it would become seen as evidence of a "seizure," as people suffering from seizures do not typically laugh and continue to hold cups of coffee. In WorldNetDaily's coverage, the evidence that Clinton's bobble-head moment resembled a seizure is that bloggers said it did.

Even when Clinton remained controlled, steady and unsmiling, #HillarysHealth sleuths were ready. Mike Cernovich, a self-help guru best known as the attorney for a central figure in the "Gamergate" saga, seized on the speculation about Clinton to ask if Clinton traveled with a private doctor. "Remember when you thought famous people like Michael Jackson and Elvis had good medical care?" he asked. "What’s Clinton on?"

Cernovich's speculation started with an incident from last week, when Clinton was campaigning in Las Vegas. Mid-speech, she paused and narrowed her eyes to look at protesters. Secret Service Assistant Special Agent in Charge Todd Madison rushed to her side, telling her that the situation was under control, and that she could keep talking.

As was widely reported, Clinton was reacting to a commotion from four animal rights activists. According to Melina Mara, a Washington Post photographer who was shooting at the event, first the activists hoisted their signs; then, one pushed a female protester over the barrier. As Clinton looked on, the protester stumbled and was being hauled back.

To some Clinton fans, it seemed like she had remained steely while a threat was taken care of — a contrast with the way Trump had handled himself when a protester tried to rush him during the primaries.

To Cernovich, it was clear that Clinton was "completely frozen" and "lost control of her executive functions/pre-frontal cortex." (She actually riffed on the protesters, telling them to protest Donald Trump's sons, who are proud hunters.) In a follow-up post, he speculated that Madison was not in fact a Secret Service agent, but a medical professional who must be around her at all times. "The media is completely covering up this story," wrote Cernovich. "We will continue to investigate it aggressively. By the way, my journalism is entirely self-funded."
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

We have a raging garbage fire as a Republican Nominee and some on our side think they're going to bring Hillary down with phony stories.

That's why she's up 9 points in GEORGIA, this morning!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
We have a raging garbage fire as a Republican Nominee and some on our side think they're going to bring Hillary down with phony stories.

I don't care if she does have these health issues, its not going to hurt her and only makes "our side" look like they don't have anything valid to go after her on.

geronl

She could be in a wheelchair and still get elected. Yes, she has medical issues, she's almost 69, what would one expect?

Trump's issues are all mental.

I am not surprised to find out that all of these capitalized headline breaking stories ending in !!!! are all phony.

Offline NavyCanDo

You saved me from having to open and read the other story about her health. Drudge pushing a non-story.    Now we will wait and see if Trump takes the bait and opens his trap about her health.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
How chivalrous of the Washington Post; no one ever criticizes or fabricates things on Trump, NOT.

I didn't vote for Trump but if I felt the way many do, in the face of his winning the primaries and nomination, I might move to North Korea, no free elections there.

Offline wolfcreek

It's perfectly OK to go after her on her mental conditions....unless you're a neverTrump.

HonestJohn

It's perfectly OK to go after her on her mental conditions....unless you're a neverTrump.

Corrupt isn't a mental condition.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

By comparison, Hillary is very popular on this web forum. She is defended, while Trump is attacked non-stop.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Corrupt isn't a mental condition.

Well Fred Trump did have Alzheimer's disease.

geronl

Re: Armed with junk science and old photos, critics question #HillarysHealth
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 10:38:54 pm »
By comparison, Hillary is very popular on this web forum. She is defended, while Trump is attacked non-stop.

I have never seen anyone defend Hillary. This thread is about bogus stories. Pushing bogus stories won't help anyone.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 10:50:20 pm »

LOL, care to post the "Truth" of that?  8888crybaby
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 10:51:49 pm »

WooHoo! I, like so many on this board, pray every day that Hillary will defeat that Orange Monkey Buffoon Idiot, and all of his retarded redneck supports.

Hooray for Hillary! 2016!

Question: Why isn't there a "Hillary for President!" political area on TBR? There are so many posters who post here every day who would be able to, and would from what I see, love to Mod it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 10:57:05 pm »
WooHoo! I, like so many on this board, pray every day that Hillary will defeat that Orange Monkey Buffoon Idiot, and all of his retarded redneck supports.

Question: Why isn't there a "Hillary for President!" political area on TBR? There are so many posters who post here every day who would be able to, and would from what I see, love to Mod it.

Heh, looks like a jailbreak from trumpanzie land.

Being ..NOT for an imbecile like trump, is not being for Hillary. You have your vote..vote it. And I will vote or not vote my vote for those who I care to vote for...Capish...Sheesh.  :shrug:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 11:00:40 pm »

The Trump Campaign is working hard to get her elected to you might try that section.  :whistle:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 11:19:01 pm »

So go after her instead of spending your time trashing #NeverTrump. 

Offline Longmire

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 11:21:47 pm »
By comparison, Hillary is very popular on this web forum.

Has anyone taken a survey?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 11:22:42 pm »

Lying is a sin @240B, and you just keep on sinning.

I would be careful about that, were I you.

You may get away with breaking TBR rules with your lies, but you aren't getting away with breaking God's laws.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:27:25 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 11:24:10 pm »

@truth_seeker is telling a bald faced lie.

NOT ONE PERSON on this forum likes Hillary in the LEAST.

And this lie is a deliberate breaking of TBR rules.

But the Trump faithful just keep doing it.

Taking on the unethical, deceitful nature of their lord and master, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:27:38 pm by musiclady »

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Fantom

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 11:27:07 pm »

LOL, welcome aboard.

Fairly certain a survey/poll would yield only one or two Hillery votes here...maybe.

Frederick Douglass

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 11:28:47 pm »
LOL, welcome aboard.

Fairly certain a survey/poll would yield only one or two Hillery votes here...maybe.

And not one because they support Hillary.  Only because they are not going to vote for Trump, whom they regard as insane and dangerous.

NO ONE ON THIS FORUM SUPPORTS HILLARY.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 11:33:44 pm »
Too many posts to edit so I will say this one more time...NO ONE HERE SUPPORTS HILLARY...please stop posting it or you can post it elsewhere.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 12:24:59 am »
@truth_seeker is telling a bald faced lie.

NOT ONE PERSON on this forum likes Hillary in the LEAST.

Sorry. Not true. Jazzhead has stated repeatedly his vote for Hillary. Repeatedly.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fantom

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 12:30:07 am »
Sorry. Not true. Jazzhead has stated repeatedly his vote for Hillary. Repeatedly.

And yet, That is an Honest man... such is Jazz.    @Jazzhead .

Sadly, I consider you the opposite... of Truth.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Longmire

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 12:34:26 am »
This thread is above my pay grade...carry on.