Author Topic: Where Are All the Republican Women?  (Read 1240 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Where Are All the Republican Women?
« on: August 07, 2016, 02:05:22 pm »

There are fewer Republican women in Congress now than in 2006. The trend repeats at every level of government.

By David S. Bernstein

August 07, 2016

Candice Miller, a seven-term congresswoman from Michigan’s 10th Congressional District who endorsed Donald Trump for president, is the kind of woman the Republican Party needs to be part of its future. Instead, she’s about to become part of its past. She’s one of just 22 women in the Republican caucus of the U.S. House of Representatives. But she’s not seeking reelection this year. And when her eastern Michigan district held the primary to choose a successor earlier this week, all five candidates in the GOP primary were men.

The same day, all three of the party’s candidates in the primary to replace Dan Benishek, a Republican representing the northernmost part of the state, were men. And on Thursday, in northwest Tennessee, a whopping 13 names appeared on the GOP primary ballot in the district where Stephen Lee Fincher is leaving his solid-red seat. All of them belong to men. All 13 of them.

more
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/08/gop-republican-women-politics-disparity-feminism-214140
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Re: Where Are All the Republican Women?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 02:44:40 pm »
Where have all the women gone
Long time standing
Long time ago-o
Donald Trump has dissed them all
When will they ever learn
When will they ever-er learn
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 02:46:14 pm by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 03:28:31 pm »
There are fewer Republican women in Congress now than in 2006. The trend repeats at every level of government.
@mystery-ak

It is a matter of logistics and health/sanity.  I will explain:

Younger women: 
If a woman has a family, that means "kids" until they are in college or whatever.  If you are in the US House, you must run for office every two years.  The woman will be out of the home a great deal of the time trying to get reelected, plus she has to be in Washington, D.C., instead of at home or at a job near home.  Few women would sacrifice bringing up their kids to live in Washington and fly home maybe every weekend.  During a congressional break, the Representative also holds meetings in the district to report to them and retain their votes for the next reelection.  Of course, there are exceptions, but generally speaking, this is the scenario.

It is much easier for the husband to be in Washington and come home every weekend than the woman doing that and it's easier for the husband to travel his district every time there is a break in congress and traveling the district to be reelected.

Health/sanity:
Older women after the kids are out of the house:
These days, women have children at an older age, late 20s into their 30s.  If a woman has a child when she is 28, and the child is out of the house at 18, she is 46 years old.  By this time, she will have some health issues (too many possibilities to list them here) and traveling around her district to be elected and traveling around reporting to the district and to be reelected and being in Washington except for weekends or staying there full time is a grueling task and she would not see her husband very much. 

Both of them were waiting/looking forward to the time the kids got out of high school so they could spend time together doing whatever they want, TOGETHER. Also, by the time she is 46 and kept up with political issues, she most likely would want no part of the insanity of congress.  Again, there are exceptions (maybe she can't stand the sight of the husband and she is in great health), but generally this would be the scenario.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 06:15:53 pm »

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 06:25:05 pm »
We're barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen making our men sammiches! /sarc

I would love to run for city council but I'm a strict, loving mom and I'd take the rest of council to the woodshed. They need it. So does FedGov. Ironically, I would be attacked by the liberals in our community incessantly and I don't want to put my family through that. War on women, anybody? I can see conservative women feeling the same way about the state and federal level.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 06:32:55 pm »
I would think that State legislatures would be appealing for women seeking political careers,  with the sessions typically both briefer and more effective.  (How would you think most women would react to gridlock?    To heck with such inefficient nonsense,  natch - let the men wallow in their own crapulence.)

Anyone know whether  GOP women are making strides at the state level?   That's where I'd look before jumping to conclusions about women not particularly being  eager to run on a ticket with a troglodyte like Trump.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 06:38:03 pm »
Maybe women are too Conservative for the Republican Party.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 11:12:56 pm »
As Victoria astutely noted, most Republican women who are at the age of entering local politics are married and starting families. One of my high school classmates (a staunch Republican) served on her village council for a while. Then she got fed up with what was going on and moved out of the village. Anything above that level, and it becomes a real pain.

What about the single women? Well, sadly, most of them vote Democrat.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 11:27:26 pm »
Kipling said it very well...

Offline Dirt for sale

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 11:47:11 pm »
Makes sense. One must spurn the family to get ahead. A truly conservative woman would not do that. Hence, a depthless sea of ardent female democrats, without family and without hope. Serves them right.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 03:40:33 am »
Perhaps they're simply finding the Republican Party to be less and less congenial.  Women who are considering political careers are most certainly not going to be incentivized to join the GOP with Trump now the image of the GOP.  Reap what you sow.  There may also be a perception that there is still a glass ceiling for higher office in the GOP.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:41:10 am by Oceander »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 03:43:44 am »
Long time standing
Long time ago-o
Donald Trump has dissed them all
When will they ever learn
When will they ever-er learn