Author Topic: Finally Made My First Gun Purchase  (Read 4962 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Finally Made My First Gun Purchase
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2016, 05:03:08 pm »
Next up on the list is my concealed carry permit.

My wife wants to get her own weapon now and I think I'll oblige her.

This is the one she wants.

But I'll tell you what...I figured out her aiming problem today and she started punching holes in her target like crazy.

Now I've got a Redheaded Texas woman that can hit what she aims at!  :thud:

My first concealed carry gun was similar to this; a S&W featherweight with shrouded hammer.  I'll tell you it's a nice little gun, but it beats the hell out of your hand.  Want her to go to the range more often with you, get her a .22 plinker.  They are fun with very light recoil.  Like this: http://www.beretta.com/en-us/u22-neos-/
Make her put a box through the revolver for practice with it and then let her have fun with the .22.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2016, 05:37:31 pm »
My first concealed carry gun was similar to this; a S&W featherweight with shrouded hammer.  I'll tell you it's a nice little gun, but it beats the hell out of your hand.  Want her to go to the range more often with you, get her a .22 plinker.  They are fun with very light recoil.  Like this: http://www.beretta.com/en-us/u22-neos-/
Make her put a box through the revolver for practice with it and then let her have fun with the .22.

I've heard that from more than one person about the Bodyguard beating up your hands.

Already been checking into custom grips. Hogue has some nice ones for the gun she wants.

She's going to take an intro to CC class offered here on post as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2016, 06:32:22 pm »
I've heard that from more than one person about the Bodyguard beating up your hands.

Already been checking into custom grips. Hogue has some nice ones for the gun she wants.

She's going to take an intro to CC class offered here on post as well.

Well, I would be surprised if just changing the grips makes a difference, but maybe it will.  I would like to know if it does.  The reason I have my doubts is because I think it has more to do with the weight of the gun/recoil than anything else.  I've fired a Glock 9mm and .40, a Beretta .45 all in semi-auto and they are a dream to shoot compared to the S&W snub nose .38 and the .45 Bond Arms snake slayer.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 05:34:21 pm »
Well, I would be surprised if just changing the grips makes a difference, but maybe it will.  I would like to know if it does.  The reason I have my doubts is because I think it has more to do with the weight of the gun/recoil than anything else.  I've fired a Glock 9mm and .40, a Beretta .45 all in semi-auto and they are a dream to shoot compared to the S&W snub nose .38 and the .45 Bond Arms snake slayer.

@RoosGirl you're right.  The different grips don't help much.  And I know now what you mean about how that thing can beat up your hands.

Fired one today at the range so my wife could see what it feels like.  She says she still prefers firing my 1911.

Back to the drawing board on finding her a gun of her own.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 06:12:35 pm »
@RoosGirl you're right.  The different grips don't help much.  And I know now what you mean about how that thing can beat up your hands.

Fired one today at the range so my wife could see what it feels like.  She says she still prefers firing my 1911.

I'm sorry to be right in this case, I was hoping the change of grips would help.  Here's what I did, your results may vary; the .38 snub nose was my first pistol.  Once I got comfortable with it I went to range and rented a variety of 9mm semi-auto.  I hated the S&W, it jumped around in my hand and was just never comfortable shooting.  I know a lot of people love it.  I LOVED the sub-compact Glock.  I know a lot of men don't like it because it doesn't fit well in their hand.  Seems to me it was custom made for a woman's smaller hand.  Once I was comfortable with the 9mm I upgraded to .40, still in the Glock sub-compact.  Nice "stopping power", still fun to shoot, easy to conceal.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 07:24:37 pm »

Get her to try one of these:

And one of these:

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 12:13:07 am »
Neither one of us could work the slide worth a damn on the M&P 9mm

They say it loosens up after some rounds are run through it but out fo the box you need to be Ahhhhnold to work it LOL!

I like the XDS as well.  That's probably the one I'm going to get for my son.

We were at the gun counter today at the PX and believe it or not...she's become enamored with the S&W 686.  :thud:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2016, 06:27:55 pm »
@txradioguy

I'm late to the show here, but congrats on your new pistol!

I just bought one of these:

I'm a lefty, so having an ambidextrous/changeable slide and magazine release was a big deal for me.  The slide works well, release is great, and it is ungodly accurate.  Trigger pull is probably the best I've had in a stock pistol.  Got it for only $519, free shipping, from gunbuyer.  Pay the $20 transfer fee, and it's a good deal for a Walther.

Plus, it's sexy as hell looking.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:28:39 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 06:31:30 pm »
Neither one of us could work the slide worth a damn on the M&P 9mm

It's a larger gun than the XDS, but the slide on the HK VP9 is great.  They make it with a little set of gripping "wings" on the back of the slide that make it incredibly easy to rack.  Almost bought it except I'm not a fan of the Euro-style paddle releases for magazines.  But a great gun with fantastic ergonomics.  Almost aims itself.

Still considering a smaller, single stack gun for carry, though.  Can't quite make up my mind.  My wife hasn't shot pistols very much, and even the 9 kicked a bit much for her.  I'm thinking of starting her off with a .22, like a Ruger DR-22, M&P 22, or maybe even the PPK/S.  Ammo is cheap, very fun to shoot, and she's a lot more likely to get good with that than with a gun she doesn't actually enjoy shooting.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:47:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 08:22:25 pm »
@txradioguy

I'm late to the show here, but congrats on your new pistol!

I just bought one of these:

I'm a lefty, so having an ambidextrous/changeable slide and magazine release was a big deal for me.  The slide works well, release is great, and it is ungodly accurate.  Trigger pull is probably the best I've had in a stock pistol.  Got it for only $519, free shipping, from gunbuyer.  Pay the $20 transfer fee, and it's a good deal for a Walther.

Plus, it's sexy as hell looking.

Yeah and it feels really good in the hand too.  I got to hold one and check it out while we were looking.

Household 6 is a lefty too...but shoots right.  She just doesn't feel comfortable with all the steps needed to get a semi-automatic into battery in order to shoot it.

She's figured out that it's much easier for her to work a wheel gun.  And as I said in an earlier post she has really fallen in love with the 7 shot S&W 686 with a 3" barrel.