Author Topic: (Topic Deleted)  (Read 6330 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Edition - What are your impressions?
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2016, 08:42:28 pm »
I've set up Windows 10 to be as much like 7 as humanly possible. The programs I use have shortcuts on the desktop, so I use the start button maybe once a week, usually by right clicking.

One of the lads worked out a little program that completely disables Cortana (as well as hard disabling any geolocation on the machine). That is incredibly handy.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2016, 09:03:48 pm »
I've set up Windows 10 to be as much like 7 as humanly possible. The programs I use have shortcuts on the desktop, so I use the start button maybe once a week, usually by right clicking.

One of the lads worked out a little program that completely disables Cortana (as well as hard disabling any geolocation on the machine). That is incredibly handy.

Any chance of passing on that little program?

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2016, 09:11:08 pm »
I've been lurking on the forum for awhile, but thought it's time to finally contribute some new posts. So being a Microsoft employee, I thought I would start a thread on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Have you installed it, and if so how has your experience with it been? I've finally installed it on all of my computers, and on my wife's laptop. Other than an issue with the internal VPN software that Microsoft employees use, the update has gone very smoothly. I'm really looking forward to getting it on my phone as well.

Here's an article on how to get the update if you haven't already:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

And here's some detail on the new features:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/02/new-video-series-this-week-on-windows-highlights-windows-10-anniversary-update/

Although I work for Microsoft (but not on the Windows team), the opinions I post here are MY opinions, and not necessarily those of Microsoft. You won't hurt my feelings if there's something about W10 or the Anniversary update that you don't like, please feel free to speak up. I also am a heavy user of Linux, and a former user of Apple products, so please don't feel like you need to tell me how wonderful those platforms are - I already know and love all 3 OSes.
I purchased a new PC a couple of years back with Win8 and was not a happy camper the first few days...spent some time at work perusing web forums on how to operate the damned system and how to even turn off the computer.  Upgraded to 8.1 a little while later, relatively benign.  Went to W10 this year and so far, it's working out. 

No real complaints other than don't design an OS for PC based on what you're trying to do with phones... :chairbang:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2016, 09:18:11 pm »
Any chance of passing on that little program?

I'm up town Friday, I'll ask for a copy.

geronl

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2016, 09:22:12 pm »
That's just not true.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3094785/windows/yes-windows-10-subscriptions-are-coming-at-least-for-enterprise.html

Yes, Windows 10 subscriptions are coming, at least for enterprise

Phase One, $7 a month for business computers to use it.

IMO: Phase Two will be everybody else.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2016, 09:24:37 pm »
With the newest laptop (an Acer Aspire) I did hit the Read only folders bug when installing a game - it's not terribly useful to have a game save folder locked as read only, especially when it relocks itself on every reboot. I spent ages hunting for a kludge around, since Microsoft hasn't fixed it as yet. Even asked here, and @driftdiver pointed me in the right direction. Eventually had to give ownership of that particular folder to "EVERYONE" to get it to stay permanently unlocked.

That was irritating.

Offline jedidah

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2016, 09:57:14 pm »
Sorry to hear that. It sounds like the WiFi driver. I know the laptop that my son has (a Dell XPS 13) had this problem, but fortunately Dell updated the driver before we got the laptop. What model of HP is it?

It's a ProBook S-series.

I know very little about computers but am relatively intelligent and am usually able to sniff out a solution using knowledge available online.  I suspect that an "Unknown Device" listed under "Other Devices" in Device Manager may be part of the problem, but Windows can find no driver for it.  And everything worked just fine until I installed Windows 10.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2016, 12:29:47 am »
So  you are saying that Windows is resetting the permissions on the folder with your save games, or its parent folder? I don't know of anything in Windows that would do that, so I would be concerned that you have some app that is doing this. What is the path to the folder?

C:/Program Files (x86)/Sheltered/saves/

That folder would keep locking as read only, and it's contents as well, despite all the ownership permissions being correct.

It couldn't have been another app doing it - it was the only thing installed on the laptop other than Windows itself at the time.  :shrug:

If you look up read only bug, there is a fair amount out there on it now. Never happened on my computers that were Win7 upgrades, just this Win 10 one.

Oceander

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2016, 12:29:52 am »
It's a ProBook S-series.

I know very little about computers but am relatively intelligent and am usually able to sniff out a solution using knowledge available online.  I suspect that an "Unknown Device" listed under "Other Devices" in Device Manager may be part of the problem, but Windows can find no driver for it.  And everything worked just fine until I installed Windows 10.

Sometimes an unknown device is a malfunctioning component.  The BIOS/EUFI can enumerate it (i.e., "see" it), but neither the BIOS/UEFI, nor the OS can figure out what the device is supposed to be.  Wifi modules do tend to degrade over time in some systems, so that might be a potential issue.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:30:36 am by Oceander »

Oceander

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2016, 12:33:32 am »
C:/Program Files (x86)/Sheltered/saves/

That folder would keep locking as read only, and it's contents as well, despite all the ownership permissions being correct.

It couldn't have been another app doing it - it was the only thing installed on the laptop other than Windows itself at the time.  :shrug:

If you look up read only bug, there is a fair amount out there on it now. Never happened on my computers that were Win7 upgrades, just this Win 10 one.

Are you running something on steam?