Author Topic: Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is attacked and threatening to 'walk' away from treaty  (Read 4654 times)

Offline skeeter

LOL!  That's a blast from the past.  I bought the first season of that and it was soooo stupid that I resold it on eBay.  Or I tried to.  I don't remember if it actually sold.

Never liked WBK. Hawaii 5-0's the only series from that period that holds up. The first 5 seasons, anyway.

Offline LadyLiberty

Trump brags about having the highest IQ, which begs the question...
In his foursome?
In his carpool?
In his family?
In his own mind?

In his own mind.  He always saying "people tell me X."  I think he is being told those things, but it's coming from the voices inside his head.

Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving ..... to Hillary Clinton.

Offline Fantom

Good Lord, Japan, UK, Israel and the US are the top line countries together.

trump is a moron.

The only reason that Japan does not take a more proactive stance is a dated..well outdated treaty. A WW ll treaty that needs to be scrapped.

The Japanese government has been trying to skirt that treaty. They know the US under the obama/Hillary types is not trustworthy.... now it would sem you can include the trump types as well. 
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Gov Bean Counter

In his own mind.  He always saying "people tell me X."  I think he is being told those things, but it's coming from the voices inside his head.

Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving ..... to Hillary Clinton.

By George, you've got it...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

geronl

The only reason that Japan does not take a more proactive stance is a dated..well outdated treaty. A WW ll treaty that needs to be scrapped.

Not a treaty, it's their Constitution that was basically written by Americans

Offline Fantom

Not a treaty, it's their Constitution that was basically written by Americans

Correct, and it is dated to another time.

That it was imposed by us..and rightly so. Lends me to view it as a treaty moreso than a "Constitution" which I view as a self derived document of freedom and principals.

At any rate, Japan has been edging to greater "sovereignty" under/outside that in these latter years. I have no doubt would those constraints be removed they would see to defending themselves. Rendering trumps ill thought comments as inane as they are.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:30:24 am by Fantom »
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Rivergirl

But but but DT wanted Japan to have it's own nukes.
The madman speaks with forked tongue, yes??

Oceander

Correct, and it is dated to another time.

That it was imposed by us..and rightly so. Lends me to view it as a treaty moreso than a "Constitution" which I view as a self derived document of freedom and principals.

At any rate, Japan has been edging to greater "sovereignty" under/outside that in these latter years. I have no doubt would those constraints be removed they would see to defending themselves. Rendering trumps ill thought comments as inane as they are.

Why would the fact of imposition make it more like a treaty?  Treaties aren't imposed any more than constitutions.  And considering that Japan unconditionally surrendered, it was perfectly apt for the U.S. to determine the contents of the constitution for the new country that it was about to essentially create.

Offline Fantom

Why would the fact of imposition make it more like a treaty?  Treaties aren't imposed any more than constitutions.  And considering that Japan unconditionally surrendered, it was perfectly apt for the U.S. to determine the contents of the constitution for the new country that it was about to essentially create.

Last first as is my Wont.  I do believe we are in agreement that the USA had every right to impose it's will on an enemy totally defeated. I said as much in my post you quoted.

Treaties are often imposed by the victor in a war. Call it a "Constitution" if you will. But it really is the victor dictating terms.

I prefer to regard a Constitution, as I regard our Constitution... an expression of a free people.

Frederick Douglass

Oceander

Last first as is my Wont.  I do believe we are in agreement that the USA had every right to impose it's will on an enemy totally defeated. I said as much in my post you quoted.

Treaties are often imposed by the victor in a war. Call it a "Constitution" if you will. But it really is the victor dictating terms.

I prefer to regard a Constitution, as I regard our Constitution... an expression of a free people.

The Japanese ultimately adopted it.  The way America dealt with the vanquished was almost unheard of in the annals of history (and is probably why Japan and Germany have become such successes).  It is as voluntary as most constitutions are.

Viz. treaties, if it's really imposed by the victor then it's not a treaty, so the element of imposition does not differentiate the Japanese constitution from a treaty.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
The Japanese ultimately adopted it.  The way America dealt with the vanquished was almost unheard of in the annals of history (and is probably why Japan and Germany have become such successes).  It is as voluntary as most constitutions are.

Viz. treaties, if it's really imposed by the victor then it's not a treaty, so the element of imposition does not differentiate the Japanese constitution from a treaty.

Doesn't really matter at this point. They can change their constitution as they wish. Trump is still a moron for threatening to abandon our allies.

Obama started separating us from our allies and it sounds like Trump intends to finish the job.

Offline Fantom

Yes, we treated them well. And it worked out well for history.

But if you think treaties are not often/most imposed by force..including victories. Well ok, you are welcome to that belief. Sometimes treaties are negotiated for common good. I'd wager that almost all, however, are dictated from a position of strength thru out history.

I'll maintain that a Constitution agreed to by someone you just nuked(and it was justified) and parked your battleships in their harbors. Really is not as valid as one freely entered into as was ours. Just my thoughts on the matter.

And you are welcome to the last word as well on this.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

Doesn't really matter at this point. They can change their constitution as they wish. Trump is still a moron for threatening to abandon our allies.

Obama started separating us from our allies and it sounds like Trump intends to finish the job.

And that is the truth of it.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
The man is doing a remarkable impression of Kim Jong-un.  Next think you know Trump will want to shoot off a nuke.

He has already been talking about that. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.