Author Topic: This Marine Corps general endorsed Hillary Clinton. Here's why  (Read 981 times)

rangerrebew

This Marine Corps general endorsed Hillary Clinton. Here's why
By Walter E. Gaskin 3:12 p.m. EDT August 4, 2016
Retirement ceremony

(Photo: Sgt. Mallory Vanderschans/Marine Corps)
1259 CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 19 COMMENTEMAILMORE

Editor's note: Military Times has invited Donald Trump's campaign to provide a commentary from one of its senior military supporters. We expect to receive a submission in the coming days.

In less than 100 days, Americans will go to the polls to elect the 45th president of the United States. As a proud Marine and an even prouder American, I would like to offer a few thoughts on one of the most important duties that the president fulfills, commander in chief, and why I am confident that Hillary Clinton is the right person for the job.

On Jan. 20, 2017, our new president will assume command of the roughly 2.1 million men and women serving in our armed forces, both in active duty and reserve roles. The commander in chief will become responsible for sending them into harm’s way, and caring for them and their families when they return. She will have to work every day to keep our country secure in the face of increasingly complex challenges.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/opinion/2016/08/04/hillary-clinton-walter-gaskin-marine-corps-general/88002254/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:42:57 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: This Marine Corps general endorsed Hillary Clinton. Here's why
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:44:54 am »
This Marine Corps general also disobeyed a directive by the Chairman of  the Joint Chiefs who said generals should be apolitical and not make public comments about elections. *hmmmm*

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 11:15:59 am »
This Marine Corps general also disobeyed a directive by the Chairman of  the Joint Chiefs who said generals should be apolitical and not make public comments about elections. *hmmmm*

What else do you expect from an Affirmative Action "General"?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 04:22:31 pm »
I think we have to be consistent on this issue of retired officers speaking out.  We have no problem if retired officers come out in opposition to the Administration, or to condemn it for doing something dumb.  We normally don't have a problem with it because officers lean conservative.  These guys who are speaking out are retired, and I see nothing wrong with them endorsing a candidate.

General officers know more about our military than anyone else, yet can't speak out on public issues of concern because they are still in uniform.  But once they retire, we should want them to speak out.  That being said, I think both this guy and Allen are nimrods for supporting Hillary.

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 06:12:17 pm »
I agree with you  Maj.  Once retired is different than being on active duty.  Even Ruth Bader Uglyberg found out about speaking out when still on the court.