Author Topic: Dems want Cruz to investigate Trump's Russian hacking plea  (Read 876 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Dems want Cruz to investigate Trump's Russian hacking plea
« on: August 04, 2016, 04:01:11 pm »
Very interesting.  I'm not quite sure what to think about this. 

Two Senate Democrats are demanding that Sen. Ted Cruz hold a hearing investigating whether Donald Trump's plea to Russian hackers to go after Hillary Clinton’s private emails violated federal law.

"Mr. Trump’s encouragement of a Russian cyber incursion of a U.S. presidential candidate represents an unprecedented call for a foreign government to spy on a U.S. citizen and interfere with a U.S. election," Sens. Chris Coons of Delaware and Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island said Wednesday in a letter to Cruz, Trump's former presidential rival who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee oversight subpanel.

The missive is the first explicit call by Capitol Hill Democrats to investigate comments Trump made last week during a news conference.

“Russia, if you're listening I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” Trump said, referring to the cache of personal emails Clinton said she deleted from the private email account she used while serving as secretary of state.

Whitehouse and Coons, the ranking member on the oversight subpanel, argued that the GOP standard-bearer's remarks might violate a number of U.S. criminal laws, including the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the Espionage Act and the Logan Act, which forbids unauthorized citizens from communicating with foreign governments that have disputes with the U.S.

The duo said a hearing could determine whether these federal laws are enough to safeguard U.S. elections from foreign meddling.

They noted that Russia has a long track record of trying to influence elections in other countries, such as Georgia, Ukraine and France.

"Specifically, we ask that you consider whether requests for foreign entities to conduct cyberattacks on political opponents violate existing federal criminal statutes, and whether there are obstacles to the federal courts asserting jurisdiction to protect the integrity of our nation’s elections," the pair asked Cruz.

Cruz was not immediately available for comment on the Democrats’ request.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-russia-hack-ted-cruz-226611#ixzz4GNbniQYh

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Dems want Cruz to investigate Trump's Russian hacking plea
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 04:03:24 pm »
Bizarro world.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 04:12:58 pm »
Very interesting.  I'm not quite sure what to think about this. 

Two Senate Democrats are demanding that Sen. Ted Cruz hold a hearing investigating whether Donald Trump's plea to Russian hackers to go after Hillary Clinton’s private emails violated federal law.

"Mr. Trump’s encouragement of a Russian cyber incursion of a U.S. presidential candidate represents an unprecedented call for a foreign government to spy on a U.S. citizen and interfere with a U.S. election," Sens. Chris Coons of Delaware and Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island said Wednesday in a letter to Cruz, Trump's former presidential rival who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee oversight subpanel.

The missive is the first explicit call by Capitol Hill Democrats to investigate comments Trump made last week during a news conference.

“Russia, if you're listening I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” Trump said, referring to the cache of personal emails Clinton said she deleted from the private email account she used while serving as secretary of state.

Whitehouse and Coons, the ranking member on the oversight subpanel, argued that the GOP standard-bearer's remarks might violate a number of U.S. criminal laws, including the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the Espionage Act and the Logan Act, which forbids unauthorized citizens from communicating with foreign governments that have disputes with the U.S.

The duo said a hearing could determine whether these federal laws are enough to safeguard U.S. elections from foreign meddling.

They noted that Russia has a long track record of trying to influence elections in other countries, such as Georgia, Ukraine and France.

"Specifically, we ask that you consider whether requests for foreign entities to conduct cyberattacks on political opponents violate existing federal criminal statutes, and whether there are obstacles to the federal courts asserting jurisdiction to protect the integrity of our nation’s elections," the pair asked Cruz.

Cruz was not immediately available for comment on the Democrats’ request.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-russia-hack-ted-cruz-226611#ixzz4GNbniQYh

The democrats recognize the future of the GOP if republicans don't. They're trying to smear Cruz with the Trump smell.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 04:17:50 pm »
The democrats recognize the future of the GOP if republicans don't. They're trying to smear Cruz with the Trump smell.

That was my first inclination as well.  After Cruz's speech at the RNC she stated for once she agreed with Cruz.  I don't think they want any chance of him re-emerging.  They are still scared to death of him!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 05:33:18 pm »
Whitehouse and Coons...

On second thought I'd better not.  :nometalk:

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 07:36:51 pm »
Odd don't you think that if the DEMS have problems with Trump; then why don't they form an investigation??