Author Topic: The 7 Most Overrated TV Shows of the Last 20 Years  (Read 4177 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

The 7 Most Overrated TV Shows of the Last 20 Years
« on: August 04, 2016, 03:08:28 pm »
SOURCE: PJ MEDIA

URL: https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2016/08/01/the-7-most-overrated-tv-shows-of-the-last-20-years/?singlepage=true

BY CHRIS QUEEN

Television is a strange medium, isn't it? Certain shows bring with them a measure of hyperbole before they even debut, while other programs build a reputation that lasts long after they're gone. And then there are the overrated series. They can be cult favorites or supposed classics, but in the long run, these shows bear the weight of critical or popular love that isn't completely justified.

Here are the seven most overrated television programs of the last two decades. Enjoy!

7. "Friends"

Friends was a nice little show in its day, but unlike a true classic show, it just doesn't hold up all these years later. Looking back at it, I don't laugh nearly as much as I did during its original run. The only exception for me is Lisa Kudrow, whom I still love in scenes like this:

6. "Lost"

I have to admit, I was a fan of "Lost," even though I didn't get hooked on the show until the middle of the third season. The story of plane crash survivors on a mysterious island took viewers on a six-season ride full of twists and turns, flashbacks and flash forwards, with terrific acting and smart writing. It truly became appointment television, because fans couldn't wait to see what happened next.

Alas, "Lost" collapsed under the weight of its own mythology, and the head-scratching ending left some fans who had devoted six seasons of their lives to the show a bit underwhelmed. One fan (whom you'll meet at the bottom of this page) said that "Lost" "isn't about the story; it's about how the story is told." Unfortunately, an unsatisfying ending left some devotees disappointed with the story itself. And that's how a show you love can still be overrated.

5. "The West Wing"

I actually know a few conservatives who like "The West Wing," but it was a darling among the Left during the Bush years. In fact, Rush Limbaugh once said of the show:

Important to remember is that many liberals who live in Fantasyland really ended up believing that "The West Wing" was the real presidency. They were so disheartened, so unhappy with Bush that Martin Sheen actually became the president.

The hallmarks of the show were Aaron Sorkin's rapid-fire dialogue and the fact that, the vast majority of the time, liberalism worked. For just about every conservative who had something to say, the presidential staff had a righteous retort that made conservatism look foolish.

For example, here's liberal President Bartlet (Martin Sheen) hectoring a radio talk show host on the Bible with the same tropes the Left uses out of context time and time again.

4. "Family Guy"

Some shows try terribly hard to be so clever but fall short, and "Family Guy" is one of those. It aims to be a slightly subversive family comedy like "The Simpsons" but pales by comparison -- especially to the glory days of Bart and his family. The characters are flat-out annoying and unlikable, and there's nothing funny about them.

"Family Guy" also seems to reach for the type of satire that "South Park" does so well, yet the former cartoon merely offends with crude humor that has nothing of real substance to say. Even their "Star Wars" parodies are dumb.

Then again, it all makes sense when one realizes that "Family Guy" stems from the mind of the odious Seth MacFarlane, who has a strange cult following. But what good is a cult following if you can't be funny or insightful? As with so many cult shows, "Family Guy" isn't as good as the reputation its fans give it.

3. "The Walking Dead"

"The Walking Dead" must be the Plexus Slim of television programming. Apparently if you watch it, you have to post as much about it on social media as possible. The countdowns to new episodes. The memes. The breathless post-episode reactions. Good Lord, they're all over the place!

Viewers act like this about a show that's either truly innovative or high camp. "The Walking Dead" is neither; in fact, it falls somewhere in between, relying on shock after shock to sustain the drama. Some of the Southern accents are pretty bad too.

I probably shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, seeing as how the show pumps quite a bit of money into the economy around Atlanta, but I just don't buy the fuss about "The Walking Dead" or understand the rabid fandom.

2. "The Big Bang Theory"

Here's another show with a rabid following that I just don't understand. "The Big Bang Theory" had a pretty good concept -- a bunch of dorks and their hot neighbor -- but for the life of me I just don't understand how nasally voiced nerds making socially awkward jokes has held up for nine-plus seasons.

Maybe it's because I don't get most of the "Star Trek" references. Or maybe it's because the promos for later episodes all feel so been-there-done-that. Or maybe it's the broad caricatures that wear thin after too long. Whatever the reason, this show just doesn't compute for me, and I'll never understand why people think it's so funny.

1. "Glee"

As a singer and a lover of music, I had such high hopes for "Glee" when it first debuted. Fox sold the show as a fun little musical about a school glee club and the lovable misfits who call it home. But then the show began pushing its agenda and didn't let up for the rest of its run.

I enjoyed the first handful of episodes, but "Glee" lost me when the football team performed a dance to Beyonce's "Single Ladies" to make the gay kid who joined the team to impress his father feel at home.

I remember shouting, "Delay of game! You're going to get a flag for delay of game!" at the screen. But, knowing the contempt the makers of the show displayed toward, well, pretty much anything traditional, I shouldn't have been surprised. But ultimately, I think the agenda killed "Glee" -- and the hype surrounding it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: The 7 Most Overrated TV Shows of the Last 20 Years
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 03:16:19 pm »
Never understood what happened to Family Guy.

Season 1 was brilliant. There is no other word to describe it. Sharp, insightful, subtle, funny - it had everything I want in a show.

Season 2 though ... I missed the start of it, was away, so decided to catch up on it when I got home. Watched half of the first episode and thought WTF? Did they change writers? I've NEVER seen a show dive to the lowest common denominator so fast.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 03:26:24 pm »
This is a good list.  When I saw the headline I thought "The Big Bang Theory" had better be on it. 

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 03:58:43 pm »
The Apprentice

Must have a place on the list for this overated POS.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 04:06:10 pm »
Any of the Survivor shows.

Those tick me off - stick a bunch of yahoos into an environment where people actually LIVE, for a damned game show.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Resp3

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 04:14:51 pm »
If we're talking about overrated shows of the last 20 years, then why is Friends mentioned here?

Yes it aired from 1994 till 2004; but it is quintessentially a 90's TV show. Kind of like Seinfield.

Offline Resp3

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 04:17:38 pm »
The Apprentice

Must have a place on the list for this overated POS.

If you hated Donald Trump as the star of The Apprentice - don't worry. You'll LOVE him in his new gig as a TV Reality Star/President and CEO of the USA.

/sarc

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 04:22:53 pm »
If you hated Donald Trump as the star of The Apprentice - don't worry. You'll LOVE him in his new gig as a TV Reality Star/President and CEO of the USA.

/sarc

:smokin:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 04:34:20 pm »
The Walking Dead is overrated but I still enjoy the hell out of it.

Its a really depressing show. Fortunately Z-Nation is available and brings a little humor to the zombie apocalypse.

Its not Sunday school approved but I really enjoyed the first season of "Preacher"

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 04:40:08 pm »
LOST was great the first year or two then went downhill.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 04:55:01 pm »
Never in my life have I understood why people would think that shooting a zombie in the chest with a gun would hurt it.

I know, I am being too logical. But, if it wants to bite you, then wouldn't you cut its head off, or shoot it in the jaw? If it is 'chasing' you (at .03 mph) why not disable it by breaking a leg? I can't watch zombie stuff because, I simply cannot buy into the premise.

Most of these I have never watched other than Family Guy. And it really has gone from low to lower and has caused me to lose interest. There is some excellent comedic work in Family Guy, but lately the good is being offset by grasping at the lowest of the low in terms of comedy. Some episode are so incredibly disgusting and wretched, you would think Sarah Silverman wrote them. That is how low the show gets periodically. Family Guy can only go up from here. It will be fun to see what Seth does to revitalize the series if he is even still interested in doing so.

BTW. Speaking of Family Guy, the newest adult cartoon that has caught my interest is 'Rick and Morty'. That show is a wild ride directly into crazytown. I love it. The new season will premier late this year, so we are told. I am looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:56:41 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 04:56:01 pm »

Its a really depressing show. Fortunately Z-Nation is available and brings a little humor to the zombie apocalypse.

Its not Sunday school approved but I really enjoyed the first season of "Preacher"

Stripped away of the hype, Walking Dead is still an amazing show. Like the Beatles and Nirvana however, it's been hyped way, way beyond what it delivers.

It's depressingly realistic though, and I do appreciate the survival aspect of it. They need to wrap it up this season IMO.

Z-Nation is just as good in it's own way, and alot more creative and fun with some undercurrent of societal insight.

'Stranger Things' is my fav right now.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 05:26:43 pm »
Overrated .... I'd say "The Middle" ......  :thud:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 05:42:27 pm »
How do no reality shows make this list—especially the most overrated of them all, American Idol?

Beyond Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson, it didn't even generate all that many idols, only a string of one-hit-wonders and never-weres.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 06:34:53 pm »
99% of American television is unwatchable. Even the good stuff goes bad when they push an agenda.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 09:22:55 pm »
Even the good stuff goes bad when they push an agenda.

Well, sure: because agenda-pushers are generally angry and single-minded, so the fun or nuance that defines the writing for "good stuff" cannot fit into the writing that goes into pushing an agenda.

As to "West Wing," the irony of that show is that the callow youths of the Obama administration clearly used it as a "how-to" guide on presidenting, with predictable results in a world wherein the other side doesn't play nice (quite unlike what Sorkin's strawmen inevitably did).

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 07:37:34 pm »

Z-Nation is terrible, but it knows it and has fun.  I thought the potential ending of the first seasons -- with everyone dying in nuclear fireballs -- would have been awesome.  It slipped a bit the second season, but it's still entertaining.

Offline Drewsmum

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 07:40:18 pm »
If we're talking about overrated shows of the last 20 years, then why is Friends mentioned here?

Yes it aired from 1994 till 2004; but it is quintessentially a 90's TV show. Kind of like Seinfield.

But overrated?  That show WAS and IS danged funny. 

Offline Drewsmum

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 07:43:25 pm »
Overrated .... I'd say "The Middle" ......  :thud:

Nnooooooooooo!  Take that back!   You take that back right now!     :chairbang:   :chairbang:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 07:45:32 pm »
Z-Nation is terrible, but it knows it and has fun.  I thought the potential ending of the first seasons -- with everyone dying in nuclear fireballs -- would have been awesome.  It slipped a bit the second season, but it's still entertaining.

Only Z nation could do Zombie pole dancers.

http://www.syfy.com/znation/videos/the-gangs-all-here

Offline skeeter

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 07:51:18 pm »
Well, sure: because agenda-pushers are generally angry and single-minded, so the fun or nuance that defines the writing for "good stuff" cannot fit into the writing that goes into pushing an agenda.

As to "West Wing," the irony of that show is that the callow youths of the Obama administration clearly used it as a "how-to" guide on presidenting, with predictable results in a world wherein the other side doesn't play nice (quite unlike what Sorkin's strawmen inevitably did).
The agenda pushers learned their lesson way back with "All in the Family". Can't have the conservative jestee getting off the last line.

The viewers might end up identifying more with him than the wise leftist.

I might've come up with a more current example but I haven't intentionally tuned in to a regularly scheduled series for decades.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:54:55 pm by skeeter »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 07:58:31 pm »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 08:02:11 pm »

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 11:33:25 pm »
Nnooooooooooo!  Take that back!   You take that back right now!     :chairbang:   :chairbang:

:nono: :nono: NEVER!!  :nono: From day 1 of that show, I found NOTHING funny about the way they treated their children.  I actually tried to stay turned in to see if my feelings about it would change.  Did NOT happen.  Every time it wins ANY kind of award, I am at a total loss.  This is coming from someone who loves Patricia Heaton.  This role stinks! :nono:  Other people like it. That's why it's been on the air so long.  That and the fact there's not much else on.

Offline Drewsmum

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 12:30:47 am »
:nono: :nono: NEVER!!  :nono: From day 1 of that show, I found NOTHING funny about the way they treated their children.  I actually tried to stay turned in to see if my feelings about it would change.  Did NOT happen.  Every time it wins ANY kind of award, I am at a total loss.  This is coming from someone who loves Patricia Heaton.  This role stinks! :nono:  Other people like it. That's why it's been on the air so long.  That and the fact there's not much else on.

Oh Lordy.... my husband and I swear their writers have our house bugged for inspiration.  Lol. Of course we aren't that bad,  but I really think the show is an extreme version of the average normal family.  It's kind of parody about a busy family I think. Maybe that's why some think it's funny.  They can relate,  haha!

EXCEPT the disgusting house.   I can't even deal with all the crap clutter.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:33:39 am by Drewsmum »