Author Topic: ABC: RNC Considering Options If Trump Drops Out  (Read 26379 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: ABC: RNC Considering Options If Trump Drops Out
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2016, 09:48:35 pm »
Following the rules to allow things to be considered instead of putting them down like a sick dead and then lying about states withdrawing their petitions or hearing a chorus of YES on a voice vote and saying the No's have it.

This doesn't look like how democracy is supposed to work.

Allowing the orchestrated of booing of a speaker too.

If Cruz had won the nomination, and Trump supporters had orchestrated a convention coup, rules or not, Cruz supporters would be singing a different tune.

Trump won the nomination the way that the nomination is supposed to be won.

Blame the people who put him there, not the RNC.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline r9etb

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2016, 09:58:11 pm »
If Cruz had won the nomination, and Trump supporters had orchestrated a convention coup, rules or not, Cruz supporters would be singing a different tune.

Trump won the nomination the way that the nomination is supposed to be won.

Blame the people who put him there, not the RNC.

There's blame aplenty, including for the RNC.  The convention allegedly exists to nominate a winning candidate; instead, it was a rubber-stamp of a candidate that most people knew to be unfit, and the RNC was directly complicit in that.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2016, 10:06:32 pm »
He won the nomination.

Period.

To then stage some sort of convention coup would have looked like crap.

No.  It would have shown courage that's long been missing.  It would have been a godsend.  Now they are scrambling to come up with a Plan B.

Plan A they threw away.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2016, 10:08:28 pm »
No.  It would have shown courage that's long been missing.  It would have been a godsend.

Indeed, it would have cemented the idea that the GOP is a party of principle. 

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2016, 10:10:10 pm »
There's blame aplenty, including for the RNC.  The convention allegedly exists to nominate a winning candidate; instead, it was a rubber-stamp of a candidate that most people knew to be unfit, and the RNC was directly complicit in that.

Yes.

And to those who bemoan the absence of "a" "third-party" candidate...I say...LOOK AT THIS PRIMARY.

A dozen choices; and it came down to Trumpcult versus NotTrump.

NotTrump was split many ways, right up to the end.  So even though Trumpcult is a DISTINCT minority, he won with a PLURALITY - and managed to squeak by with JUST enough delegates.

Translate that to a general election.  Anyone remember 1992?

The Little Man with the bad haircut.  Ross Perot.  A covert Friend Of Bill, whose REAL purpose was to siphon off enough of George H.W. Bush's votes to prevent a Bush win.

Now, I have no great love for Bush, any Bush; but he'd have been far better in the end than Bubba.  And had Bubba gotten sent back to Dogpatch, we wouldn't be dealing with Cankles now.

Bubba, you may recall, won with FORTY-TWO PERCENT of the popular vote.

Got that?  Only four in ten got what they wanted.  The others got it up their mmm-mmm-mmms.

We had a "real choice" there.  Ross Perot was as different from Bush as chocolate is to vanilla.

What did it get us?  PEEWATER.  The Clinton Dynasty!!!

geronl

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2016, 10:15:34 pm »
They literally stole delegate votes during the roll call and gave them to Trump.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2016, 10:15:49 pm »
No.  It would have shown courage that's long been missing.  It would have been a godsend.  Now they are scrambling to come up with a Plan B.

Plan A they threw away.

Courage to whom exactly?

To the supporters of the person who lost the primary vote but pulled off the convention coup, or to the supporters of the guy who won the primary vote but had the nomination taken from him by the guy who couldn't win it straight up?

I detest Trump as much as any #NeverTrump, and I blame those who wanted to "shake things up" and put us in this predicament... the people who voted for Trump.

I am not going to give them a pass on this.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2016, 10:17:38 pm »
I don't understand so many people falling into the hate Bush... hate the Bushes camp.  The Bush's were and are good people and good presidents. 

Trump started this Bush hate thing to defeat Jeb.. Why are so many nevertrumpers falling for it.  Jesus Christ wasn't running.  The Bushes were the last good presidents.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2016, 10:20:03 pm »
Courage to whom exactly?

To the supporters of the person who lost the primary vote but pulled off the convention coup, or to the supporters of the guy who won the primary vote but had the nomination taken from him by the guy who couldn't win it straight up?

I detest Trump as much as any #NeverTrump, and I blame those who wanted to "shake things up" and put us in this predicament... the people who voted for Trump.

I am not going to give them a pass on this.

It doesn't really matter.  Strange things happened along the way that enabled Trump to win.  He has disqualified HIMSELF ... never trumps didn't do it. 

By the time the Convention rolled round, it had become obvious that Trump needed to go and no, it would not have been wrong.  It would have been right.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2016, 10:23:40 pm »
I don't understand so many people falling into the hate Bush... hate the Bushes camp.  The Bush's were and are good people and good presidents. 

Trump started this Bush hate thing to defeat Jeb.. Why are so many nevertrumpers falling for it.  Jesus Christ wasn't running.  The Bushes were the last good presidents.

Jeb Bush governed Florida as a conservative. A strong conservative.

People didn't want him because of his last name.

Not voting for someone solely because of their last name is as idiotic as voting for someone solely because of their skin color or their gender.

Since we have now elected an unqualified man because of his skin color, rejected a highly qualified one because of his last name and are about to elect a crook because of her gender, what we know know is that the electorate is made up of idiots.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2016, 10:33:38 pm »
Jeb Bush governed Florida as a conservative. A strong conservative.

No.

He was a placeholder.  Keeping the chair warm.  The general economy was good by itself; he just needed to not screw things up; not start any new wild programs; not cause state residents to panic about their future.

Know why we didn't want to see Shrub III in there?  His CONTEMPT for conservatives!  Open Borders.  Going around those yukky Teabaggers.  Have you forgotten that Shrub favored Common Core in Florida?

He didn't screw up Florida much but he was a Big Government RINO the whole way.  And he wanted to win by SUBVERTING OUR WISHES.

You think we like being regarded by contempt by an Elite who wants to flood this nation with people who don't speak like us, don't live like us, don't love liberty as we do?  Turn this nation into a hybrid of Mexico, El Salvador and Venezuela?

THAT IS WHY WE HAVE HAD ALL THE SHRUB WE CAN STAND.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:40:26 pm by JustPassinThru »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2016, 10:37:45 pm »
No.

He was a placeholder.  Keeping the chair warm.  The general economy was good by itself; he just needed to not screw things up; not start any new wild programs; not cause state residents to panic about their future.

Know why we didn't want to see Shrub III in there?  His CONTEMPT for conservatives!  Open Borders.  Going around those yukky Teabaggers.  Have you forgotten that Shrub favored Core Curriculum in Florida?

He didn't screw up Florida much but he was a Big Government RINO the whole way.  And he wanted to win by SUBVERTING OUR WISHES.

You think we like being regarded by contempt by an Elite who wants to flood this nation with people who don't speak like us, don't live like us, don't love liberty as we do?  Turn this nation into a hybrid of Mexico, El Salvador and Venezuela?

Is that you, Ann Richards??
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2016, 10:42:45 pm »
Is that you, Ann Richards??

No.

The various names of the D party, hate the Bush shrubs because they have the wrong letter on their team jerseys.  And because shrubs are not Marxists.

I have a better reason to hate them.  They're not Marxists but they most-assuredly ARE Big-Government Elites.  And in the end they want to deepen that distinction, between the Ruling Class and the ruled class of peons.

The enemy of my enemy, is sometimes also my enemy.  Sometimes a greater enemy.

HonestJohn

« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2016, 10:44:04 pm »
No they didn't. They never supported Cruz till the end. They'd rather have had Trump.

That's what "finally settled" means in this case.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2016, 10:44:29 pm »
Trump is a complete disaster of a candidate and the GOP-e/RNC own his candidacy.  Republicans are going to end up losing the House and Senate with Trump at the top of the ticket.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2016/08/03/fox-news-poll-aug-3-2016/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:48:52 pm by Eowyn »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2016, 10:48:58 pm »
No.

Know why we didn't want to see Shrub III in there?  His CONTEMPT for conservatives!  Open Borders.  Going around those yukky Teabaggers.  Have you forgotten that Shrub favored Core Curriculum in Florida?

You're an ignorant individual.

People like you are the reason why we're in the mess we're in.

Jeb is pro-life.

Jed is pro 2A.

Jeb cut taxes in Florida more times than any other Governor, including first a reduction and then a repeal of the state's tax on personal assets such as investments, a rollback of a school property tax, a bigger property tax break for veterans, and a property tax exemption for child
 care facilities. Jeb cut taxes every year that he was a Governor.

He reduced the size of government by reducing the government workforce by 13,000+ workers, with most of those jobs being either privatized, or cut altogether.

Jeb led the nation in the fight for school choice, and won. Florida's first-in-the-nation school choice program set the standard for school choice for the rest of the States. Jeb fought and defeated the unions and administrators that wanted to keep the status quo in place, and because of Jeb's fight Florida students benefited.

How did Jeb's governorship impact education in Florida?

-- In 1998, Florida’s fourth-graders scored at the bottom nationally in NAEP scores in reading and math. By 2009, they had scored above the national average in both categories.

-- Florida’s fourth-grade Hispanic students equaled or surpassed the performance of all students in 31 states.

-- Fourth-grade African American students in Florida outperform African American students in all but three states in NAEP math tests.

-- Low-income Florida elementary school students of all races rank near the top nationally in math.

-- High school graduation rates increased 21 percent, even as the requirements got tougher.

-- The number of African American and Latino students passing AP tests increased 365 percent.

Jeb is stridently pro life . In fact, on the issue of abortion, Jeb has the most conservative record of all candidates vying for the Republican nomination in 2016.

Jeb signed into law was legislation requiring that parents be notified before a minor's abortion, a bill prohibiting partial-birth abortion and a bill regulating the safety of abortion centers. Bush also championed "Choose Life" specialty license plates, the proceeds from which went to pro-life pregnancy centers in the state.

Bush opposed a ballot initiative that would have amended the state's constitution to provide $200 million over 10 years for embryonic stem cell research. And he pushed through a parental consent measure for contraception in school-based health centers. He also expanded funding for abstinence education.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2016, 10:50:09 pm »
No.

The various names of the D party, hate the Bush shrubs because they have the wrong letter on their team jerseys.  And because shrubs are not Marxists.

I have a better reason to hate them.  They're not Marxists but they most-assuredly ARE Big-Government Elites.  And in the end they want to deepen that distinction, between the Ruling Class and the ruled class of peons.

The enemy of my enemy, is sometimes also my enemy.  Sometimes a greater enemy.

And sometimes stealing a leftist attack on a family makes readers go Hmmmmmm........

I don't agree with much of what President Bush did (and agree with some), but calling him "shrub' is unnecessary to make your point.

The Bushes aren't America's enemies...... and George W. is quite possibly the last American patriot the Oval Office will see in a very long time.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2016, 10:53:53 pm »

I agree.  But if you don't hate the Bushes, you can't get into the "in crowd" on some forums.

Fortunately, there is no such clique in this place.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2016, 10:59:06 pm »
You're an ignorant individual.

People like you are the reason why we're in the mess we're in.

Jeb is pro-life.

Jed is pro 2A.

Jeb cut taxes in Florida more times than any other Governor, including first a reduction and then a repeal of the state's tax on personal assets such as investments, a rollback of a school property tax, a bigger property tax break for veterans, and a property tax exemption for child
 care facilities. Jeb cut taxes every year that he was a Governor.

He reduced the size of government by reducing the government workforce by 13,000+ workers, with most of those jobs being either privatized, or cut altogether.

Jeb led the nation in the fight for school choice, and won. Florida's first-in-the-nation school choice program set the standard for school choice for the rest of the States. Jeb fought and defeated the unions and administrators that wanted to keep the status quo in place, and because of Jeb's fight Florida students benefited.

How did Jeb's governorship impact education in Florida?

-- In 1998, Florida’s fourth-graders scored at the bottom nationally in NAEP scores in reading and math. By 2009, they had scored above the national average in both categories.

-- Florida’s fourth-grade Hispanic students equaled or surpassed the performance of all students in 31 states.

-- Fourth-grade African American students in Florida outperform African American students in all but three states in NAEP math tests.

-- Low-income Florida elementary school students of all races rank near the top nationally in math.

-- High school graduation rates increased 21 percent, even as the requirements got tougher.

-- The number of African American and Latino students passing AP tests increased 365 percent.

Jeb is stridently pro life . In fact, on the issue of abortion, Jeb has the most conservative record of all candidates vying for the Republican nomination in 2016.

Jeb signed into law was legislation requiring that parents be notified before a minor's abortion, a bill prohibiting partial-birth abortion and a bill regulating the safety of abortion centers. Bush also championed "Choose Life" specialty license plates, the proceeds from which went to pro-life pregnancy centers in the state.

Bush opposed a ballot initiative that would have amended the state's constitution to provide $200 million over 10 years for embryonic stem cell research. And he pushed through a parental consent measure for contraception in school-based health centers. He also expanded funding for abstinence education.

You called me a name, fine.

I guess you have to be really educated to understand the beauties of Crony-Capitalist government; to see that Shrub III was going around the Party Base, out of LOVE...and of the wisdom in his plan of helping the Left flood the nation with aliens who are not Americans, do not have American values and who reject assimilation.

Ignorant?  Why, because I don't credit the wonderful time Florida was having because JEB! was sitting in the Governor's Office?  Why were times good in Ohio, then, too; and Indiana, and Arizona, and a dozen other states?

TIMES WERE GOOD.  They were good, they were prosperous, because that is the natural way of the Free Market when government holds back.  And government WAS holding back.

Government cannot create wealth.  It can only screw it up, and it DOES, most times.  Reckless spending; imperial edicts, and forcible changes to the culture all make people unsettled and fearful of their future - and stop natural economic activity, which is based on desires and hopes.

So you're here to thump the tub for Shrub, hey?  What part of his RINO Leftist design for America is it that I'm ignorant in rejecting?  The Common Core part?  That I don't think MS-13 gang members come here out of "love"?  Because I reject that bloated, spoiled scion of a rich man TELLING me how I must live, how my kids must be educated, and how I must support aliens with welfare programs so they can come here and turn American into Mexico?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2016, 11:11:45 pm »
You called me a name, fine.

I guess you have to be really educated to understand the beauties of Crony-Capitalist government; to see that Shrub III was going around the Party Base, out of LOVE...and of the wisdom in his plan of helping the Left flood the nation with aliens who are not Americans, do not have American values and who reject assimilation.

Ignorant?  Why, because I don't credit the wonderful time Florida was having because JEB! was sitting in the Governor's Office?  Why were times good in Ohio, then, too; and Indiana, and Arizona, and a dozen other states?

TIMES WERE GOOD.  They were good, they were prosperous, because that is the natural way of the Free Market when government holds back.  And government WAS holding back.

Government cannot create wealth.  It can only screw it up, and it DOES, most times.  Reckless spending; imperial edicts, and forcible changes to the culture all make people unsettled and fearful of their future - and stop natural economic activity, which is based on desires and hopes.

So you're here to thump the tub for Shrub, hey?  What part of his RINO Leftist design for America is it that I'm ignorant in rejecting?  The Common Core part?  That I don't think MS-13 gang members come here out of "love"?  Because I reject that bloated, spoiled scion of a rich man TELLING me how I must live, how my kids must be educated, and how I must support aliens with welfare programs so they can come here and turn American into Mexico?

"Shrub"...

That in and of itself exposes your mentality.

You ignored his championing pro-life, his pro-second Amendment stances (he championed and signed into law the nation's first "stand your ground law"), the $19 billion in tax cuts coupled with a reduction of the size of government by doing things like privatizing foster care, adoption services, legal representation for death row prisoners, human resources, state purchasing, and state parks. Altogether, he moved 13,000 positions off of the state payroll — more than 10 percent of the government in Florida.

He further reduced government by moving Medicaid recipients to private managed-care plans, which also reduced the costs to taxpayers.

He signed into law the State's first school voucher program, allowing parents to take their kids out of failing schools.

He ended Affirmative Action for State workers, contractors and college admissions.

Yeah...

Jeb did all those things, but people like you ignore those things and use sophomoric names to describe him, so now we have Trump.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:13:43 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2016, 11:13:39 pm »
And sometimes stealing a leftist attack on a family makes readers go Hmmmmmm........

I don't agree with much of what President Bush did (and agree with some), but calling him "shrub' is unnecessary to make your point.

The Bushes aren't America's enemies...... and George W. is quite possibly the last American patriot the Oval Office will see in a very long time.

It depends on the Bush.

George W. Bush was probably the best of the family.  He WAS an affable, hard-working Texas governor.  He was not a conservative but he recognized it was conservatives who brought him into office; and he tried to repay that debt.

And unlike most, I DID support the Iraq campaign.  It was not starting a war, it was RESUMING a state of war after Iraq had repudiated the conditional armistice.  All well and good...I have no issue with W.  And if I chanced to attend an event he was speaking at, I'd given him a standing O on principle.

That's the good.  The bad was, although he was paying a political obligation to voters. he was NOT a conservative.  And when TSHTF, in 2008, he reverted to his fallback position - BIG GOVERNMENT.  Government intervention.  Bailouts, which lead to more bailouts, which lead to permanent jiggering of the economy by government.

He was the glass half full.  Yes, I agree, we could do a lot worse.

HE WAS THE BEST OF THAT TRIBE.  His father was not so good.  And Jebster Bloat...completely contemptuous of conservatives, of the Tea Party, of those who insist Open Borders will lead to social and national collapse.

CONTEMPTUOUS.  Was gonna go around the base, his words, by pandering to the Donor Class.

Do y'all love the Donor Class?  I sure don't.  Money is necessary in politics; but this Donor Class is a sort of group of political johns, buying a candidate like a truck driver buys a hooker.

We do NOT need another Shrub.  He brings nothing in that a true conservative couldn't bring in; and he brings in a lot of destructive Leftist ideas.  We've had enough of the Bushies.  We need fresh blood, someone who brings in AMERICAN PRECEPTS and CONSERVATIVE PRINCIPLES.

It isn't the Magic Name.  It's what they believe and what they DO NOT do, and work to stop Congress from doing.   Less spending; less regulation; roll back bureaucratic expansion.  Any conservative can do that; Jebster Pudge will not and probably cannot.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2016, 11:19:08 pm »
Someone will write this book:  "How a Muslim waving the Constitution brought down Donald Trump."

I just heard on CNN that Mike Pence not only endorsed Ryan, he met with John McCain today for thirty minutes.  I would bet they talked about dumping Trump and talked about what if Trump quit.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2016, 11:20:50 pm »
"Shrub"...

That in and of itself exposes your mentality.

I've had enough of them.  That's my mentality.

Presidents don't set abortion law.  By the Constitution, judges shouldn't set it, either - but they have, and none of the RINOs have the guts to Impeach.

I never ONCE heard Jebster say ONE WORD about abortion.  Know who I DID hear say it?  Laura Bush.  She's all FOR it.

THAT is what goes on in that family behind closed doors.  Laura, being not-politically-savvy, let the cat out of the bag.

Yes, Laura is not JEB!.  But that family is not a paragon of Pro-Life, of Tax Cuts (acknowledging that W did do a small tax cut, at exactly the correct time, which was why we bounced back from the 2000 recession) or of rolling back bureaucracy.

Know who gave us this bureaucratic Medusa called Homeland Security?  Yup.

Know who set the stage for later abuse by the NSA, as regarding collection of electronic data?  Yup.

Know who COULD have stopped this terrorism problem DEAD, by EMBARGOING visas by Arab or Moslem nations?...but did NOT?

Know who WOULD NOT DEFEND HIMSELF and LET THE LEFT RISE UP?  Jailing a few people making public threats against the life of a President would have sent a message.  Lefties are cowards.

These were all missed opportunities.  And W, like Silent Cal, was smart but not well-spoken.  JEB! like Barry Hussein, speaks in perfect oval tones - and has nothing in the skull to back it up with.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2016, 11:24:00 pm »
I disagree with Jeb on some issues important to me.  He is not all bad, though.  Regardless, he was not even close to the top of my choices if for no other reason that I didn't want another Bush or another Clinton vs Bush contest.  Been there.  Don't that.  Jeb was unlucky in birth order I guess.  I just do not like the idea of a dynasty.  Still, Jeb is a respectful and decent man of good character.  I do think he is honest and speaks the truth to voters no matter the cost.  That I greatly respect.  As a person, he is one thousand times a better man than Trump.

I agree with most of this.

But...what kind of character has a man announce he will seek public office by thwarting the will of the electorate?  GO AROUND them, DECEIVE them in a blizzard of media propaganda?

That is not character.  That is what Leftists do.  JEB! is not a Leftist?...maybe not.  What else is he borrowing from them?  Where else is he in agreement with them?

He may be, probably is, a decent man.  That by itself is not qualification for the Presidency.  It is but one of many; and he immediately failed on other important marks.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2016, 11:26:46 pm »
I started to do that, but figured that without a donation, any comments that are returned are circular filed without ever being read.  I decided not to waste my time.  If they really wanted to hear from us, they need only open their ears.

Oh, sure - it goes right to the trash, but who cares? It takes but a second to fill it out and it costs them on the postage paid return mailers. If they get enough of the things, *someone* will hear about it.

Oh - side benefit: I may actually get taken off their mailing list!
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!