Author Topic: Odyssey of a NeverTrumper  (Read 86676 times)

Offline LonestarDream

Re: Odyssey of a NeverTrumper
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2016, 07:18:59 pm »
Pence and Gingrich aren't going to change Trump. Trump is completely and morally unacceptable as a human being much less a candidate.

The thread is about Trump / Pence and their administration as the prudential choice.

There are tens of thousands of appointments that will be made in government over the next 8 years.

Do not want Hillary and her consort, Huma making these choices.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:19:49 pm by LonestarDream »
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline thackney

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2016, 08:10:25 pm »
Odyssey of a NeverTrumper
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,213071.0.html

I was all in for Ted Cruz. When he failed to win a single county in South Carolina, in hindsight, red flags should have been  raised high and warning alarms sounded loudly. Super Tuesday should have increased the foreboding, as Cruz won Texas only....

Oklahoma?  Alaska?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2016#March_1.2C_2016:_Super_Tuesday

I find it tough to read on when the article leads off with false claims.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2016, 08:44:40 pm »
Oklahoma?  Alaska?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2016#March_1.2C_2016:_Super_Tuesday

Think that Trump muscled away some of the Alaska delegates at the convention.  But the larger point was that Cruz had few wins on Super Tuesday and did not do as well as expected in The South.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2016, 08:49:33 pm »
Oklahoma?  Alaska?

Duly noted.

It does not effect my larger point, but I do regret my sloppiness.

Offline Mrs Don-o

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2016, 08:59:57 pm »
Unfortunately I have no confidence in any ability to kick anyone's butt ...I still haven't decided on a course that acknowledges reality yet allows me to live with my conscience.

@don-o  @goodwithagun   @roamer_1 @lonestar dream

I, too, try to calibrate the probability that I, or any organization/movement I'm connected to, could actually influence Trump, before or fter an election.  My chances of influencing him are equivalent to my chances of influencing HRC: near absolute zero.

However, If HRC were to become president, she has all kinds of power bases built up in the House, the Senate, the Judiciary, the Fed bureaucracy, the Demo-rabble constituencies, etc.  Pluse trhe EneMmedia plus the University-Global Buggery Complex, and --- speaking of global --- plus the Saudis, Soros, the Brussels Bureaufascists, the Orcs and Feregi and whoever else she has been able to bribe, bully, or blackmail.

Whereas Trump is, I think, much more of a loose cannon.  You never know who, what, when, where, or how.  He is largely without allies (in the usual sense) and wildly unpredictable.

And those are his *good* qualities.

I mean that literally.

With HRC, you know exactly who she is and what she will do.  I consider it all unfathomably evil. And she has the connections, built up over the past 40 years of relentless plotting and scheming, to do it.

Whereas with the Orange Imbecile, you KNOW he isn't going to accomplish half of what he says, and there are any number of people who can tie his hands and prevent him from doing anything that's downright lunatic.  Or so we are entitled to hope.

We are in front of two doors.,  One of them is marked with skulls-and crossbones, biohazard symbols, flashing lights saying "Extreme Danger?" "Toxic Effluent?" "High Voltage?" "Deadly Risk?" "Imminent Catastrophe?" and about a dozen more menacing  question marks.

The other door is labeled "Hillary Rodham Clinton."

I'm choosing the door with the question marks.

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2016, 10:43:25 pm »
Paying Iran billions to make nukes, giving ISIS arms and the Benghazi fiasco scare me far more.   

Not to mention NK playing around.  Obama/Hillary project zero deterrence.

Reagan projected deterrence but was widely portrayed as one who would accidentally blow up the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHmH1xQ2Pf4

Pointing out the unacceptable nature of the current regime doesn't make the regime of the orange a$$hoIe any less unacceptable.
Former Republican.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2016, 10:48:54 pm »
Considering the involvement of Pence and Gingrich , no where near the level of Hillary/Huma.

We should not comfort ourselves otherwise.  Despite his flaws, would we really have been better off with 8 years of Gore over Bush?

What it feels like when trying to get people to grasp the irrefutable disaster guaranteed by Obama's third term.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:49:52 pm by don-o »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2016, 10:53:10 pm »
I leave morality to those who understand it.

Were Trump in Officer Candidate Selection School, he would be failed with prejudice. That means failed so hard that he would be removed from the military in ANY capacity and blackballed. A CinC candidate should get the same consideration as a Third Lieutenant. On that alone, I can not support him in any capacity.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2016, 11:20:47 pm »
What it feels like when trying to get people to grasp the irrefutable disaster guaranteed by Obama's third term.

You are guaranteed that no matter what 'happens' in November.

Hillary's

Trojan

Stalking

Horse.

You've all been had.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2016, 11:39:25 pm »
I think that's not right - Your positive endorsement, which is the only thing a vote can be, should endorse that which you, personally, believe in... To do otherwise is to risk a mandate in the aggregate, given to that which you abhor.

Imagine that: If all Conservatives did as you propose - The result is Trump, and Clinton blocked (which seems to be your main objective), but Trump with a mandate of enormous size.

And with that mandate, an embracing of the new 'conservatism' that Trump and his supporters espouse.
Are you sure you have calculated the unintended consequences?

In my OP I write of having a realistic view of the limitations of politics, I'm going to add to be wary of overreaching to posit a future and long range results based on one election. 

I do understand the hope to build "something" of a political home. This is laudable. But if HRC swears the oath on Jan 21, that little platoon will have a hard time to even find room to operate.

imo, a Trump mandate is not even a remote possibility.

Are you one who believes Trump is as/more dangerous than Clinton? If so, maybe we can talk about that.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2016, 11:53:14 pm »

Funny, I get the same feeling from talking to Trump Supporters.  :thud:
Let it burn.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2016, 12:49:28 am »

@don-o  @goodwithagun   @roamer_1 @lonestar dream

I, too, try to calibrate the probability that I, or any organization/movement I'm connected to, could actually influence Trump, before or fter an election.  My chances of influencing him are equivalent to my chances of influencing HRC: near absolute zero.

However, If HRC were to become president, she has all kinds of power bases built up in the House, the Senate, the Judiciary, the Fed bureaucracy, the Demo-rabble constituencies, etc.  Pluse trhe EneMmedia plus the University-Global Buggery Complex, and --- speaking of global --- plus the Saudis, Soros, the Brussels Bureaufascists, the Orcs and Feregi and whoever else she has been able to bribe, bully, or blackmail.

Whereas Trump is, I think, much more of a loose cannon.  You never know who, what, when, where, or how.  He is largely without allies (in the usual sense) and wildly unpredictable.

And those are his *good* qualities.

I mean that literally.

With HRC, you know exactly who she is and what she will do.  I consider it all unfathomably evil. And she has the connections, built up over the past 40 years of relentless plotting and scheming, to do it.

Whereas with the Orange Imbecile, you KNOW he isn't going to accomplish half of what he says, and there are any number of people who can tie his hands and prevent him from doing anything that's downright lunatic.  Or so we are entitled to hope.

We are in front of two doors.,  One of them is marked with skulls-and crossbones, biohazard symbols, flashing lights saying "Extreme Danger?" "Toxic Effluent?" "High Voltage?" "Deadly Risk?" "Imminent Catastrophe?" and about a dozen more menacing  question marks.

The other door is labeled "Hillary Rodham Clinton."

I'm choosing the door with the question marks.

I chose top stand before both doors. certain I will never choose Hillary, but also not certain as to whether I can choose Trump.  I will not decide until I am in the voting booth, alone with my maker.  In the meantime, I will watch and hope that something changes, so I will not have to choose between arsenic and cyanide.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2016, 06:07:54 am »
Whole Bunch of fancy words...

Here is how this simple minded person sees it...

Ballot..

1. Vote for Hillary the Impaler
2. Vote for Trump the deceiver
3. Vote for either none of the above, write-in Cruz (or someone), or vote some third party person that impressed you.

Lord is looking over your shoulder to see how you vote to show him homage in what wisdom he imposed on you.

It is choice #3 all day. Yes I have kids (yes I worry about their future) but I trust the Lord all day before I will put trust in man. Plus I want the lesson taught to my kids that it is that simple, always put your chips on the Lord and you are not gambling with your soul in the balance.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:14:59 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2016, 07:12:07 am »
Sometimes there's just no lesser of two evils.
They are pretty much neck and neck down the home stretch....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2016, 07:29:31 am »

When the ship is on the rocks, will it matter who has the helm?

I question whether disaster can be avoided at this point. So often it seems one party sets up the prosperity or downturn the other party either takes credit for or gets blamed for. It takes time for the helm to respond, and there may well not be enough time to turn, even with the screws reversed and the helm hard over--and I just don't see that happening.

Economic lies, unemployment numbers seriously fiddled with, inflation masked, illegal immigration likely multiples of claimed numbers, invaded by executive order by possible terrorists, spent into the poorhouse (>100%GDP in debt), more racially divided than the 50s, children ignorant of our Republic, and indoctrinated by those who steer them away from a moral base, and regulated, regulated, regulated into foundering... More Government will not Make America Great Again, more efficient Government will just mean the problems we have will multiply without serious staff reductions--which just do not happen (someone's department would become less important if their staff was cut). Too many sacred cows, too many pet oxen to gore.

Only appealing to the vanity of the Orange one will possibly get him to work contrary to Hillary's agenda, and I am not sure even that would be sufficient. Besides, getting up every morning at 5 AM to face the East and shout "Good Job!" in unison would get old, quick. ..

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2016, 08:04:18 am »
This is simply throwing prudence out the window. Do you equate having a thin skin with immorality?

It is not. It is a character flaw, the common lot of the children of Adam.

Should you choose to vote 3rd party, what can be known of that ones character flaws? Hadn't you better be finding out? Ref: JFK.

I do not understand with you mean by evil mens and ends. Please clarify.

For example, when Liz Mair's PAC ran the Melania GQ Cover image ad, Trump assumed (or already knew better, but that is an even more diabolical option) that the ad came from Cruz's Campaign. He went after Heidi Cruz with both barrels and reloaded and did it again, even after Cruz had said "That's not one of ours." about the ad. When the facts came out, Trump lied and used the alleged attack on Melania to redouble his attacks on Heidi Cruz.

Rash assumption followed by virulent retaliation (against the wrong people) followed by prevarication to justify the first strike and follow on attacks (and continued lying) to keep up the meme.

Let's take that geopolitical.

A bunch of Lower Slobovian terrorists (Mohammed's Fighters for Terror) break their GPS on the way to New Orleans with a 'surplus' Soviet nuclear device in the hold of their trawler and intent to meet 72 virgins.
They nuke Key West, more by accident than design. Spectral analysis shows the device was Soviet made.

Putin says "That wasn't one of ours."

But before the LSMFT faction has a chance to assume credit for the attack, Trump goes ballistic, and orders ICBM and SLBM launches on the Former Soviet Union, where the device was made. 

The news breaks that it was LSMFT terrorists who actually did the deed, but Trump lets the nukes detonate on target, decries the lyin' MSM for repeating accounts the attack was conducted by LSMFT which are just more of Prevaricating Putin's lies and hits with a second strike. Of course, by then, the Russians have launched their own birds...

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2016, 11:07:22 am »
I hope you will write more on this @don-o.  Haven't had time to keep up with the Weaver threads in the last couple of weeks but I hope to get back to them soon.
@don-o @HoustonSam Ditto what Sam said. It is County fair week here.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2016, 02:51:33 pm »
I received a pm with a link to a previous discussion here. Note the date, December 10, 2015. which is before I, and many of us, arrived here.  Thanks to the member who shared it.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,188235.0.html

(Opinion) Why Many “Conservatives” are Horrified by Donald Trump’s Candidacy

(I’m) We’re Better Than That!

I think that this reason is the most difficult for anyone to actually acknowledge, even privately.  None of us are usually very willing to admit, at least in a public forum, that we view another fellow human being as “beneath” us.  (After all, most of us (regardless of religious preference) will acknowledge that we are all God’s creatures, and using the old colloquial popular in the 1960s, firmly state,  “God doesn’t make junk!”).  Hence, most of us are loathe to admit to ourselves, no less in a public forum, that a man like Donald Trump is “beneath” us.  That his appearance, personality, and personal history, offends our sensibilities!  After all, we’re serious political beings, many of us have worked on campaigns since our teenage years, have donated (at times) more time & money than we could rightly afford over the years, we’ve read and studied the issues and political history for decades.  But we are not snobs!
Please read it all.

This is exactly how I have felt, and,to some extent, continue to feel. However, when I began to consider decision making  in the light of prudential judgment, I saw this feeling for what it was. And, simply stated, that is pride. I was / am like the Pharisee praying in the temple...

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+18&version=AKJV
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. 12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

Read it all at the link for what Jesus has to say about that. The conclusion I make from His words confirms that my revulsion for Trump is indeed based on a moral judgment that I am making, based on my own spiritual pride and feeling of superiority even as the Pharisee was. Note that the Pharisee is, no doubt, speaking accurately about “other men”, but Jesus is not impressed.

However, prudential judgment takes me out of my pride and places me where I can rationally consider the question within a better / worse framework.

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
John 7:24

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2016, 03:09:56 pm »
I received a pm with a link to a previous discussion here. Note the date, December 10, 2015. which is before I, and many of us, arrived here.  Thanks to the member who shared it.

Please read it all.

This is exactly how I have felt, and,to some extent, continue to feel. However, when I began to consider decision making  in the light of prudential judgment, I saw this feeling for what it was. And, simply stated, that is pride. I was / am like the Pharisee praying in the temple...

Read it all at the link for what Jesus has to say about that. The conclusion I make from His words confirms that my revulsion for Trump is indeed based on a moral judgment that I am making, based on my own spiritual pride and feeling of superiority even as the Pharisee was. Note that the Pharisee is, no doubt, speaking accurately about “other men”, but Jesus is not impressed.

However, prudential judgment takes me out of my pride and places me where I can rationally consider the question within a better / worse framework.

I may yet vote for Trump.  But I can say unequivocally that my objection to him him has more to do with ideology than personality.  I believe in pluralism, free trade, limited federal government and fundamental constitutional freedoms.  I used to think Republicans did as well. 

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2016, 03:48:04 pm »
I may yet vote for Trump.  But I can say unequivocally that my objection to him him has more to do with ideology than personality.  I believe in pluralism, free trade, limited federal government and fundamental constitutional freedoms.  I used to think Republicans did as well.

As of August 4, there is one ideologically pure candidate. that being HRC. We had an ideologically pure candidate in the Republican primaries. He lost.

Now Republicans have a nominee with no coherent ideology, to all appearances. Couple of questions:

1. Is he capable, or even desirous of developing one? I do not know. Trump remains a known unknown. I shall not pretend otherwise.

But, more importantly:

2. Is concern about his lackings and shortcomings sufficient reason to withhold support and allow the known known ideology of HRC to continue on the same path we have trod for the past eight years?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:57:19 pm by don-o »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2016, 03:58:58 pm »
Odyssey of a NeverTrumper
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,213071.0.html

"You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear…"

-Geddy Lee/Rush - Freewill

Funny how a Canadian in 1980 had such clarity of vision that he put the idea into verse. But decades later, some people have to tie themselves into knots to justify actions they know will result into great harm to their country.

There is no such thing as lesser evil. Thee is only evil and you empower it or you oppose it. Binary. Always was so, always will be so.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2016, 04:02:05 pm »

Please read it all.

What I find vaguely amusing is that what you claim to be "prudential judgment" has led you to support a candidate who himself appears to be completely lacking in prudence.   **nononono*

From Merriam-Webster: Full Definition of prudence

1:  the ability to govern and discipline oneself by the use of reason
    2:  sagacity or shrewdness in the management of affairs
    3:  skill and good judgment in the use of resources
    4:  caution or circumspection as to danger or risk
Let it burn.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2016, 04:06:56 pm »
"You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear…"

-Geddy Lee/Rush - Freewill

Funny how a Canadian in 1980 had such clarity of vision that he put the idea into verse. But decades later, some people have to tie themselves into knots to justify actions they know will result into great harm to their country.

There is no such thing as lesser evil. Thee is only evil and you empower it or you oppose it. Binary. Always was so, always will be so.

Hey Norm. Good to see you back posting. Care to engage my arguments? Basically, I am saying the "lesser of two evils" is a flawed concept.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2016, 04:12:22 pm »

2. Is concern about his lackings and shortcomings sufficient reason to withhold support and allow the known known ideology of HRC to continue on the same path we have trod for the past eight years?

This, of course, is the pertinent question.  With Trump down 11 points in Pennsylvania at the moment, I don't have to worry about it.  My vote will not be relevant.  If it gets close again, then I will have to reconsider. 

But I am pretty sure I can count on Trump to continue to implode without my help.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2016, 04:24:41 pm »

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
John 7:24

Smokin Joe gave us a perfect example of the application of 'righteous judgement' when it comes to Trump. 

For example, when Liz Mair's PAC ran the Melania GQ Cover image ad, Trump assumed (or already knew better, but that is an even more diabolical option) that the ad came from Cruz's Campaign. He went after Heidi Cruz with both barrels and reloaded and did it again, even after Cruz had said "That's not one of ours." about the ad. When the facts came out, Trump lied and used the alleged attack on Melania to redouble his attacks on Heidi Cruz.

Rash assumption followed by virulent retaliation (against the wrong people) followed by prevarication to justify the first strike and follow on attacks (and continued lying) to keep up the meme.

Let's take that geopolitical.

A bunch of Lower Slobovian terrorists (Mohammed's Fighters for Terror) break their GPS on the way to New Orleans with a 'surplus' Soviet nuclear device in the hold of their trawler and intent to meet 72 virgins.
They nuke Key West, more by accident than design. Spectral analysis shows the device was Soviet made.

Putin says "That wasn't one of ours."

But before the LSMFT faction has a chance to assume credit for the attack, Trump goes ballistic, and orders ICBM and SLBM launches on the Former Soviet Union, where the device was made. 

The news breaks that it was LSMFT terrorists who actually did the deed, but Trump lets the nukes detonate on target, decries the lyin' MSM for repeating accounts the attack was conducted by LSMFT which are just more of Prevaricating Putin's lies and hits with a second strike. Of course, by then, the Russians have launched their own birds...

However, the vast majority will not consider that 'judgment' to have any validity - because, you know - cognitive dissonance.  Will never happen, because well, no nukes have flown during the existence of our lives, so the idea that Trump would launch them is an absurdity they will tell themselves.

Judging righteous judgment would also dictate that a man who cannot maintain his own wedding vows, while bragging about bedding other men's wives, is not a man who will keep an oath to defend and protect the Constitution either.   

But eyes glaze over, and heads shake, and the very statement is rejected out of hand because….. HILLARY!

This people deserve what is coming upon them, and the righteous Judgment of the Lord is upon us.

But no one wants to think that.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775