Author Topic: Odyssey of a NeverTrumper  (Read 87248 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: Odyssey of a NeverTrumper
« Reply #425 on: August 18, 2016, 07:59:54 pm »
@don-o

I'll let him address that.  Either way, he's pushing Trump when there's no point in it.

Sometimes, things are so clear-cut and so morally well-defined that examination isn't necessary.  But I appreciate the "prideful" label.

You know, when it comes to self-examination, you might want to hold up a mirror.  You decided to support Trump, which I understand although I don't agree with it.  But then you decided you had to convince the rest of us to do so, and in the process you've become a different person.  It's sad to see, but that's the effect Trump has on people.

Whoa. What in the world causes to to think that "prideful" was aimed at YOU? That is pure projection and very unfair. I was referring to myself only.

Of course, I am accused of being pompous and arrogant. So, if you want to add liar, there is a fine trifects.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #426 on: August 18, 2016, 08:02:15 pm »
I believe that's true of you. You have reexamined your position and found a way to come to terms with a different one. You've been honest about that.

I hope you're not implying that those of us who have reexamined our position and are at peace with our original conviction fully aware of the consequences are just being prideful or that we haven't made up our minds correctly.

Thanks for asking. The answer is no. I do my best to not attribute motive to others and welcome being called on it if I ever seem to.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #427 on: August 18, 2016, 10:02:09 pm »
Pages and pages of posts and the number one reason to vote for Chump is that he's NOT Killary.  At this point in a campaign if your major selling point is "I'm not as bad as (fill in the blank)....America is in trouble.

Funny thing is both the Lib/Progressives and the GOP are yelling the same thing, make one wonder....
You missed selling point number two: He'd be easier to impeach!
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #428 on: August 18, 2016, 10:08:37 pm »
Holdonnow. I am 95% sure that LTD was, like me, a Cruz supporter. So the "we told you so" screed is, at best misdirected.

I do understand having ones mind made up. I was right there. But, God help me if I ever get so prideful that I cannot examine my own mind to see if it is correctly made up.
When all this started, I compared the candidates' positions on the issues, noted their credibility viv-a-vis their past records and positions on issues, their behaviour, and came up with a ranked list of who was acceptable. I modified that list according to their behaviour and statements. At Iowa Cruz was first, Trump second (mainly because he was baiting all the right people, not because of his past), and Walker third. After Iowa, Trump had slid off the list. Everything I saw of Trump after that kept him there, rather than bring him back on.

don-o, I understand you have close kin in the Armed Forces, and don't want them unnecessarily put in harm's way. I wish the same for them, frankly, as I do for all in the service of this country.
What we differ on is a question of who is most likely to put them there. This discussion is tailored to your specific situation, but there are thousands of other parents out there who face a similar dilemma.

Clinton is crooked, corrupt to the core, plays fast and loose with the law and classified material.

Trump is mercurial, impulsive, has stated he will ignore our intel agencies, and has demonstrated he will attack before finding out the facts, and then when the facts show the attack unwarranted, will double down rather than back off.

You tell me who is most likely to have your offspring in the middle of some ill-conceived war.

Hillary may well have orchestrated the situation in which our people in Benghazi were killed, but none other than Barrack Obama, and Barrack Obama alone had the authority to give the go/no go order on any air support or rescue mission, and he did not give the 'go' order. Not to excuse her, while I am sure the machinations of that conniving witch put those guys in harm's way, it is Obama who left them there, whether she advised that or not, and Obama who has the most blood on his hands.

IMHO, she is not a suitable candidate for POTUS, either. Neither of them passes muster, but one is more likely to get your kid in the middle of some deep sh*t he didn't have to be in in the first place, and has a track record of doubling down if wrong. He won't accept the blame for his trainwrecks either, but will be hunting scapegoats the moment things go wrong instead of owning it and taking steps to make it right.
Oh, she'll lie, too, but my bet is that Benghazi was supposed to be a very low conflict level snatch and grab of a US Ambassador from a lightly secured annex (not even the embassy), and that plan was FUBAR'd when the two former SEALs showed up and fought (heroically, I might add). It would not surprise me to learn that Hillary and her boss had orchestrated the situation to pull off an exchange of some folks in Gitmo for an Ambassador and use that as a shining example of their foreign affairs acumen, but the setup went wrong.
While a hideous mess that unnecessarily cost American lives, it was not an event requiring or eliciting a strategic level response, nor were even small forces beyond those already there committed, much less beginning a major conflict.

I respect your decision, made for reasons we have gone over before. Only you bear that burden, especially as it relates to your progeny, even though many others will find themselves in a similar situation. It is a tough call, and I don't blame you for your choice either way. I am sure we both wish that the most likely candidates included someone we could be confident would not needlessly involve us in conflict and whom we could be confident would have our troops backs in the event their services are needed, making sure they had the utmost support. I would like to think they would make the best decisions for the US and our forces, based on a solid knowledge of our capabilities and the best intel available, and not rashly or unnecessarily commit our forces to conflict.

But one candidate has the personality which would commit forces to an unnecessary conflict, ignore intel, and double down if wrong while blaming everyone else.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #429 on: August 18, 2016, 10:16:21 pm »
When all this started, I compared the candidates' positions on the issues, noted their credibility viv-a-vis their past records and positions on issues, their behaviour, and came up with a ranked list of who was acceptable. I modified that list according to their behaviour and statements. At Iowa Cruz was first, Trump second (mainly because he was baiting all the right people, not because of his past), and Walker third. After Iowa, Trump had slid off the list. Everything I saw of Trump after that kept him there, rather than bring him back on.

don-o, I understand you have close kin in the Armed Forces, and don't want them unnecessarily put in harm's way. I wish the same for them, frankly, as I do for all in the service of this country.
What we differ on is a question of who is most likely to put them there. This discussion is tailored to your specific situation, but there are thousands of other parents out there who face a similar dilemma.

Clinton is crooked, corrupt to the core, plays fast and loose with the law and classified material.

Trump is mercurial, impulsive, has stated he will ignore our intel agencies, and has demonstrated he will attack before finding out the facts, and then when the facts show the attack unwarranted, will double down rather than back off.

You tell me who is most likely to have your offspring in the middle of some ill-conceived war.

Hillary may well have orchestrated the situation in which our people in Benghazi were killed, but none other than Barrack Obama, and Barrack Obama alone had the authority to give the go/no go order on any air support or rescue mission, and he did not give the 'go' order. Not to excuse her, while I am sure the machinations of that conniving witch put those guys in harm's way, it is Obama who left them there, whether she advised that or not, and Obama who has the most blood on his hands.

IMHO, she is not a suitable candidate for POTUS, either. Neither of them passes muster, but one is more likely to get your kid in the middle of some deep sh*t he didn't have to be in in the first place, and has a track record of doubling down if wrong. He won't accept the blame for his trainwrecks either, but will be hunting scapegoats the moment things go wrong instead of owning it and taking steps to make it right.
Oh, she'll lie, too, but my bet is that Benghazi was supposed to be a very low conflict level snatch and grab of a US Ambassador from a lightly secured annex (not even the embassy), and that plan was FUBAR'd when the two former SEALs showed up and fought (heroically, I might add). It would not surprise me to learn that Hillary and her boss had orchestrated the situation to pull off an exchange of some folks in Gitmo for an Ambassador and use that as a shining example of their foreign affairs acumen, but the setup went wrong.
While a hideous mess that unnecessarily cost American lives, it was not an event requiring or eliciting a strategic level response, nor were even small forces beyond those already there committed, much less beginning a major conflict.

I respect your decision, made for reasons we have gone over before. Only you bear that burden, especially as it relates to your progeny, even though many others will find themselves in a similar situation. It is a tough call, and I don't blame you for your choice either way. I am sure we both wish that the most likely candidates included someone we could be confident would not needlessly involve us in conflict and whom we could be confident would have our troops backs in the event their services are needed, making sure they had the utmost support. I would like to think they would make the best decisions for the US and our forces, based on a solid knowledge of our capabilities and the best intel available, and not rashly or unnecessarily commit our forces to conflict.

But one candidate has the personality which would commit forces to an unnecessary conflict, ignore intel, and double down if wrong while blaming everyone else.
Well said. Neither of the candidate has shows the least ability to take responsibility for anything in their lives. Do we want the one who blames UTube or the one who blames Twitter?   
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #430 on: August 18, 2016, 11:07:33 pm »
Well said. Neither of the candidate has shows the least ability to take responsibility for anything in their lives. Do we want the one who blames UTube or the one who blames Twitter?
Well, the one who blamed twitter went 'nuclear' (for a republican campaign) and attacked the wife of another candidate without finding out the facts. Then spread the lie that the reason for the attack was that the other candidate had really launched the ad. Then when the facts came to light, continued attacking the other candidate's wife, and spread the lie that the other candidate (who said "That isn't one of ours" about the ad) didn't disavow the ad. (Huh?) Then didn't disavow it enough (whatever that is), but maintained the attack the whole time on the other candidate's wife.

Attacked rashly and in an unprecedentedly vicious fashion, without intel. When he got the intel showing the wrong people had been attacked, didn't back down or apologize for acting rashly or attacking the wrong people, but redoubled the attack and continued to blame the wrong people, repeatedly, and for not saying loud enough that they had nothing to do with the ad. 

The one who blamed You tube didn't get her boss to support people being attacked. But that was most likely a set-up anyway and the damage control there was likely to cover up other dealings which may not have initially included anyone getting killed.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #431 on: August 18, 2016, 11:22:46 pm »
Holdonnow. I am 95% sure that LTD was, like me, a Cruz supporter. So the "we told you so" screed is, at best misdirected.

I do understand having ones mind made up. I was right there. But, God help me if I ever get so prideful that I cannot examine my own mind to see if it is correctly made up.
@don-o And that is exactly what I did. I was initially a Cruz supporter and when he lost and Trump became the presumptive nominee, I supported him. After he "modified his position on immigration/wall as well as taxes. I re-examined my position and came to the conclusion that should he be elected I was not sure what party he would be a member of. That left Castle and Johnson. Johnson will not repeal some of the abortion laws so that rules him out.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #432 on: August 19, 2016, 02:24:06 am »
@bigheadfred

I heard that last time around, and the time before that.

This time I mean it, dammit.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Liberty Tree Dr

« Reply #433 on: August 19, 2016, 04:50:55 am »
@Liberty Tree Dr

A couple of things:

Firstly, allowing oneself to be guided by morals and principles is not "emotional."
Guidance by morals is not emotional, but if you ignore the potential results of your choices because you want to "feel" that you're doing the right thing, that is not a logical behavior.  You should be asking, "Is the result of my choice a good or bad thing according to my morality?"  If you don't, there's the risk of the legalism of the Pharisees type.

Secondly, if you want to talk about consequences, here are some consequences for you.

You folks forced Trump on us despite being shown, over and over, clear evidence that the man is a lifelong liberal and an amoral sleaze.  No matter how much proof we offered, you chose to ignore it.   Just as you ignored our promises that we would never vote for such a person.
<<SNIP>>
Nope.  As @don-o indicates, I'm a former Cruz guy.  I plead my case almost exactly as you did on TOS, and was banned.  In 2012, I fought many the rhetorical battle against Romney during the Primaries.  Same in 2008 against McCain.  But then my candidates lost in the primary each of those years, and I held my nose.

Why?  Because logic dictates you must examine your options and choose the best outcome.  Primary was decided.  Trump is nominated.  In the USA, a third party candidate is a spoiler that favors the Democrat.  We get to pick one of two (2 point swing), or vote 3rd party/not vote and give a 1 point advantage to the Democrat (i.e. 1 less vote to get the majority). 

If you want morality, you now must review the possible results of your actions.  EXAMPLE: Hillary wins = 100% chance abortion continues forever and this is guaranteed via her SCOTUS picks and the massive amnesty she'll unleash to seal the Progressive agenda.  If you think a Trump win will also yield 100% chance, then both outcomes are equally bad morally.  However, if this declines even 1%, so that there's a tiny chance Trump's SCOTUS picks might reverse Roe v. Wade, logic would indicate you favor that chance.  Hope for that 1% chance is emotional, choosing an action on that 1% chance is logical, as it is marginally superior to the results of the other chance.

You and I can debate the chances, and we can disagree, but do cease claiming you are moral while we are not.  As I've outlined above, we are acting under a very robust moral model that takes into account consequences/actions, rather than adherence to dogma that then results in a greater evil. 
#NeverTrump = #HillarySupremeCourt
We can survive four years of Trump, we can't survive thirty years of Hillary's Supreme Court picks.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #434 on: August 19, 2016, 06:13:53 am »
Because logic dictates you must examine your options and choose the best outcome.  Primary was decided.  Trump is nominated.  In the USA, a third party candidate is a spoiler that favors the Democrat.  We get to pick one of two (2 point swing), or vote 3rd party/not vote and give a 1 point advantage to the Democrat (i.e. 1 less vote to get the majority). 

Most of us here are done and finished practicing insanity, which is all your argument advocates.

We chose not to play that game anymore.

You are certainly welcome to continue to practice that insanity so so you can tell yourself in the mirror over and over that you were a better person than the rest of us if that makes you feel better.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #435 on: August 19, 2016, 06:23:59 am »
Not much is "forever". Almighty God is, and the outcome of this life eternal. Vote your conscience, I'll vote mine.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #436 on: August 19, 2016, 06:25:16 am »
You and I can debate the chances, and we can disagree, but do cease claiming you are moral while we are not.  As I've outlined above, we are acting under a very robust moral model that takes into account consequences/actions, rather than adherence to dogma that then results in a greater evil.

This is not robust logic - This is PRECISELY why we end up in 'lesser evil' every_single_time.
This is why the majority of Republicans are spineless wimps, or even flaming liberals.

And mathematically, just as a spiral diminishing, the result of your logic is finally evil with no discernible difference - Precisely where we are right now - begging a candidate on a 1% chance that maybe abortion might somehow be lessened in some indiscernible way, while other, equally important principles and rights slide further and further away.

HELL NO! STOP! Stop settling for 1% for crying out loud! DEMAND 99%! This foolish appeasement needs to stop, or our doom will be sealed.

@CatherineofAragon
@Liberty Tree Dr
@don-o

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #437 on: August 19, 2016, 06:35:56 am »
Not much is "forever". Almighty God is, and the outcome of this life eternal. Vote your conscience, I'll vote mine.

Exactly ! Seek after righteousness and let YHWH do the rest.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #438 on: August 19, 2016, 06:38:56 am »
Most of us here are done and finished practicing insanity, which is all your argument advocates.

Exactly right - All this does is set up the next 'lesser evil' to be just a little bit worse than this one... And so it goes.

Offline verga

« Reply #439 on: August 19, 2016, 09:18:31 am »
  In 2012, I fought many the rhetorical battle against Romney during the Primaries.  Same in 2008 against McCain.  But then my candidates lost in the primary each of those years, and I held my nose.
And so did we all for the last two elections, And if we re unwilling to do it this time, it should tell you just how bad a choice wse have been given.
Why?  Because logic dictates you must examine your options and choose the best outcome.  Primary was decided.  Trump is nominated.  In the USA, a third party candidate is a spoiler that favors the Democrat.  We get to pick one of two (2 point swing), or vote 3rd party/not vote and give a 1 point advantage to the Democrat (i.e. 1 less vote to get the majority). 

Well maybe the county will get it's head out of it's butt and give us a better choice next time.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #440 on: August 19, 2016, 11:21:18 am »

You are certainly welcome to continue to practice that insanity so so you can tell yourself in the mirror over and over that you were a better person than the rest of us if that makes you feel better.

So it's now insane, as well as immoral, to recognize actions and their consequences?

Just wow! And this allusion to how others "feel" is pure emotion and blatant projection. 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #441 on: August 19, 2016, 01:13:25 pm »
So it's now insane, as well as immoral, to recognize actions and their consequences?

Just wow! And this allusion to how others "feel" is pure emotion and blatant projection. 

I don't recall if I ever addressed you directly. But, I just want to take this opportunity to commend you on your reasoning as a former Cruz supporter and the manner in which you conduct this very difficult thread.

The issue of some GOP members' reticence to support the nominee, and in too many cases, actively working to undermine him with negative, misleading and often false commentary -- which to some of us looks like it's helping Hillary -- is very troubling.

Thank you for your efforts, though. But, from the looks of things it all seems futile.  :patriot:

Offline verga

« Reply #442 on: August 19, 2016, 01:29:43 pm »
I don't recall if I ever addressed you directly. But, I just want to take this opportunity to commend you on your reasoning as a former Cruz supporter and the manner in which you conduct this very difficult thread.

The issue of some GOP members' reticence to support the nominee, and in too many cases, actively working to undermine him with negative, misleading and often false commentary -- which to some of us looks like it's helping Hillary -- is very troubling.

Thank you for your efforts, though. But, from the looks of things it all seems futile.  :patriot:
@aligncare Which false commentary would that be? Seriously, Please tell us exactly what we are saying that is false.
The man has been married and divorced multiple times. How can we trust any "vow" he makes?
He has been a multiple sides of every issue.
So please give specifics.

Offline Liberty Tree Dr

« Reply #443 on: August 19, 2016, 01:36:51 pm »
This is not robust logic - This is PRECISELY why we end up in 'lesser evil' every_single_time.
This is why the majority of Republicans are spineless wimps, or even flaming liberals.

And mathematically, just as a spiral diminishing, the result of your logic is finally evil with no discernible difference - Precisely where we are right now - begging a candidate on a 1% chance that maybe abortion might somehow be lessened in some indiscernible way, while other, equally important principles and rights slide further and further away.

HELL NO! STOP! Stop settling for 1% for crying out loud! DEMAND 99%! This foolish appeasement needs to stop, or our doom will be sealed.

@CatherineofAragon
@Liberty Tree Dr
@don-o

I think the chance of a good SCOTUS pick or 3 by Trump means the chance is much better than 1%.  Maybe as high as 25%.  And abortion is a national stain, but the SCOTUS picks will also have influence on a host of issues, from the homosexual agenda, to religious freedom, to our 1st and 2nd Amendment rights. 

Tell me Hillary Clinton's SCOTUS picks will be better than Trump's. 
#NeverTrump = #HillarySupremeCourt
We can survive four years of Trump, we can't survive thirty years of Hillary's Supreme Court picks.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #444 on: August 19, 2016, 01:37:54 pm »

It will always be the Lesser Evil.  All choices, including elections, are compromises.  In an election, what/who is perfect to me, is deeply flawed to many other voters; and verse visa..

So one tries not to let the Good become the enemy of the Perfect.  The Seventy-Percent Rule.

But this one, is a bridge too far.  Not only is he DEEPLY flawed, and in many ways JUST LIKE our purported opposition party...he's deliberately, nastily, and with slander, turned on me; my values; the values of sincere conservatives; our political choices, who objectively are his moral betters.

This is not a popularity contest; and it's not a streetfight.  Words have meanings; and accusations have consequences.  The words we're getting are provable lies and slanders; the accusations false; and the vapid proposals are straight from the platform...OF DEMOCRATS.

There is nothing here for me; and for the nation, this promises a future with a simple and unstable rich playboy at the helm.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #445 on: August 19, 2016, 01:42:41 pm »

You are welcome.

Allowing space for futility leads to despair which is not an option.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #446 on: August 19, 2016, 01:48:17 pm »
@JustPassinThru

Everyone is going to vote for hillary anyways whether they vote for her or not. So no worries.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #447 on: August 19, 2016, 02:05:40 pm »
@JustPassinThru

Everyone is going to vote for hillary anyways whether they vote for her or not. So no worries.

It's sure looking that way.  The Elites have finally taken complete leave of their senses - they no longer have a feel for what they can pull off, or how far they can push.

The stage-setting for fraud this November is shocking, in its openness.  And WHO they are doing it for...let's put it this way.  This woman is not only a radical, she's a lifelong incompetent.  She was incompetent when she was young, healthy and in full control of her senses.

Now she's old, tired, out-of-touch, and entering the dementia stage of Parkinson's.  In this condition she's going to lead a revolutionary movement?  How can this NOT fail, with her poor judgment, her incapacity; her lieutenants who're almost-certainly as incompetent as she is.  This is a guaranteed recipe for failure and a bloodbath.

There's no assurance that patriots will reassert; what likely will happen is that the HARDER Left, the BLM Communists, will take over and slaughter these fools.  The way Lenin did away with the Trotskyites.

This is it, folks.

Silver Pines

« Reply #448 on: August 19, 2016, 03:32:59 pm »
Whoa. What in the world causes to to think that "prideful" was aimed at YOU? That is pure projection and very unfair. I was referring to myself only.

Of course, I am accused of being pompous and arrogant. So, if you want to add liar, there is a fine trifects.

@don-o

Well, if you look back at the context of your post and the way it was worded,  you can see how I assumed it was aimed at me, since your mind was made up at one point, you reconsidered, and you changed your point of view.  Clearly the pridefulness you associate with not doing that doesn't apply to you, since you did the opposite of what you consider to be prideful.

However, if you didn't mean it for me, then I misunderstood and I apologize.

However, I certainly didn't accuse you of being pompous, arrogant or a liar, so I won't accept that.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #449 on: August 19, 2016, 03:35:01 pm »
@JustPassinThru

Ain't it the truth!
 :beer: