Author Topic: Three Soldiers Die in Training this Week  (Read 613 times)

rangerrebew

Three Soldiers Die in Training this Week
« on: July 31, 2016, 10:03:42 am »
Three Soldiers Die in Training this Week

2nd Lt. Michael Parros, left, and Spc. Matthew Hester are two of three soldiers who died this past week during training. An unidentified soldier at Fort Jackson collapsed Thursday following a two-mile run and later died at the hospital. (Army Photos)

Stars and Stripes | Jul 29, 2016 | by Alex Horton

Three soldiers have died in stateside training this week, the Army said Friday. A soldier in Ranger school died Wednesday at Fort Benning, Ga., and another died Thursday at Fort Jackson, S.C.

On Wednesday, 2nd Lt. Michael R. Parros, 21, died, two days after his first day of Ranger School at Fort Benning. An Army release said the West Point graduate had been hospitalized with hyponatremia, abnormally low sodium levels in the blood typically linked to excessive water intake. It can be aggravated by other factors, according to the Mayo Clinic. Ranger School is designed to push soldiers to physical and mental limits in a grueling, 61-day course.

A soldier at Fort Jackson collapsed Thursday following a 2-mile run at the end of his physical fitness test and later died at the hospital, base spokesman Patrick Jones said. The name of the soldier has not been released, and the incident is under investigation.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/07/29/three-soldiers-die-in-training-this-week.html
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:04:47 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Three Soldiers Die in Training this Week
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 10:09:25 am »
Its a dangerous job even in the best of times.

One of my friends was killed in some sort of accident involving a tank in Germany back in the mid 80s.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Three Soldiers Die in Training this Week
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 11:12:02 pm »
From the article:
"On Wednesday, 2nd Lt. Michael R. Parros, 21, died, two days after his first day of Ranger School at Fort Benning. An Army release said the West Point graduate had been hospitalized with hyponatremia, abnormally low sodium levels in the blood typically linked to excessive water intake."

I was drafted and did my basic training at Ft. Dix (NJ) in June, July and August of 1970.

It was a hot summer. Back then, along with the water in your canteen they'd distribute salt tablets to take along with the water. They seemed to help.

I don't believe they do that any more. Probably has something to do with the meme that "too much salt is no good for you!"

I'm wondering if taking the salt supplements would have helped in Mr. Parros' case...?