Author Topic: Here’s the growing list of big-name Republicans supporting Hillary Clinton  (Read 7297 times)

HAPPY2BME

By Aaron Blake

Richard Armitage, Henry Paulson, Brent Scowcroft. Three big-name former George W. Bush administration officials in the past two weeks have announced that they are supporting Hillary Clinton in 2016 — all because Donald Trump is simply a bridge too far for them.

"When it comes to the presidency, I will not vote for Donald Trump," Paulson wrote in The Washington Post last week. "I will not cast a write-in vote. I’ll be voting for Hillary Clinton, with the hope that she can bring Americans together to do the things necessary to strengthen our economy, our environment and our place in the world. To my Republican friends: I know I’m not alone."

He's not. And below are the big names that are with him — or, perhaps more accurately, with her.

(A note: While many, many Republicans have declined to embrace Trump's candidacy, a growing but significantly smaller group has gone so far as to express support for Clinton. This list focuses on the latter, and it will be updated in the weeks ahead.)
Bush administration officials

Henry Paulson, treasury secretary
    Richard Armitage, deputy secretary of state and adviser to Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush — Trump "doesn't appear to be to be a Republican, he doesn't appear to want to learn about issues. So I’m going to vote for Mrs. Clinton."
    Brent Scowcroft, chairman of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board and adviser to three previous GOP presidents — "The presidency requires the judgment and knowledge to make tough calls under pressure.... [Clinton] has the wisdom and experience to lead our country at this critical time."
    Alan Steinberg, regional EPA administrator
    Kori Schake, National Security Council and State Department aide

Advisers to previous GOP presidents

Doug Elmets, former Reagan spokesman — "I could live with four years of Hillary Clinton before I could ever live with one day of Donald Trump as president."
    Jim Cicconi, former Reagan and George H.W. Bush aide — "Hillary Clinton is experienced, qualified and will make a fine president. The alternative, I fear, would set our nation on a very dark path.”

Foreign policy leaders

Robert Kagan, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and a co-founder of the Project for the New American Century
    Max Boot, senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations and adviser to GOP presidential candidates — "I'm literally losing sleep over Donald Trump. She would be vastly preferable to Trump."
    Peter Mansoor, retired Army colonel and former aide to David Petraeus — "It will be the first Democratic presidential candidate I’ve voted for in my adult life."

Business leaders/donors

Marc Andreessen, venture capitalist — "[Silicon] Valley wouldn't be here, we wouldn't be doing any of this if we didn't have the amazing flow of immigrants that we've had in the last 80 years. And the idea of choking that off just makes me sick to my stomach."
    Dan Akerson, former chairman and chief executive of General Motors — "Serving as the leader of the free world requires effective leadership, sound judgment, a steady hand and, most importantly, the temperament to deal with crises large and small. Donald Trump lacks each of these characteristics."
    Chuck Robbins, chief executive of Cisco
    Hamid Moghadam, chairman and chief executive of Prologis — "Our country is about tolerance and inclusion and that's why, as a lifelong Republican supporter, I endorse Hillary Clinton for president in this election."
    William Oberndorf, $3 million to GOP candidates since 2012 — "If it is Trump vs. Clinton, and there is no viable third-party candidate, I will be voting for Hillary Clinton."
    Mike Fernandez, $4 million to GOP candidates in recent years — "If I have a choice — and you can put it in bold — if I have a choice between Trump and Hillary Clinton, I’m choosing Hillary. She’s the lesser of two evils."

Former Republican elected officials

Larry Pressler, former three-term Republican senator from South Dakota who lost an independent campaign for his old seat in 2014 — "I can’t believe I’m endorsing Hillary Clinton for president, but I am. If someone had told me 10 years ago I would do this, I wouldn’t have believed them."
    Arne Carlson, a former two-term Republican governor of Minnesota who supported President Obama
    Robert Smith, former New York state Supreme Court justice — "This year, I’m going to vote for a Democrat for president  —  the first time I’ve done it in 36 years  —  and I think the decision is easy. Hillary Clinton is the only responsible choice, and I don’t understand why so few of my fellow conservatives see it that way."

Political operatives

Mark Salter, former top adviser to John McCain — "Whatever Hillary Clinton’s faults, she’s not ignorant or hateful or a nut. She acts like an adult and understands the responsibilities of an American president. That might not be a ringing endorsement. But in 2016, the year of Trump’s s campaign, it’s more than enough."
    Mike Treiser, former Mitt Romney aide — "In the face of bigotry, hatred, violence, and small-mindedness, this time, I’m with her.”
    Craig Snyder, former chief of staff to then-Republican former senator Arlen Specter (Pa.) and also an ex-colleague of former top Trump adviser Roger Stone and current top Trump adviser Paul Manafort.

Journalists

Ben Howe, editor at RedState.com

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/30/heres-the-growing-list-of-big-name-republicans-supporting-hillary-clinton/

Offline Suppressed

It's really bad when you lose folks like bigtime Reagan-fan Alan Steinberg!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It's one thing to be opposed to Donald Trump, but to call oneself a Republican and support Hillary Clinton ought to get you kicked out of the party, if not lobotomized. Seriously? Hillary Clinton is who gets your vote?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

It's one thing to be opposed to Donald Trump, but to call oneself a Republican and support Hillary Clinton ought to get you kicked out of the party, if not lobotomized. Seriously? Hillary Clinton is who gets your vote?

Trump supported Hillary didn't he?

Offline Frank Cannon

Richard Armitage, Henry Paulson, Brent Scowcroft. Three big-name former George W. Bush administration officials....

What a swell Triumvirate. Armatige got a man put in jail because he is a cowardly liar. Paulsen is a former Rat who destroyed the economy and Scrowcroft is just your garden variety piece of shit. I would be pretty sure they would vote for Hitlary no matter if Cruz or Rubio won. They just wouldn't be able to brag about it.

Offline Fantom

Well, I am not voting for trump.

I am certainly not voting for Hillary.

I did not vote for Romney either.

Sad to say I voted for Mclaim, because of the traitor palin.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

HAPPY2BME

==========================

That's just waaaayyy too logical.

Offline Fantom

Whoops..der it is.    :smokin:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

HonestJohn

I volunteer to perform the lobotomy.  I'm perfect for the job as I've never, ever, held a scalpel before or conducted surgery.

Offline Frank Cannon

Well, I am not voting for trump.

I am certainly not voting for Hillary.

I did not vote for Romney either.

Sad to say I voted for Mclaim, because of the traitor palin.

That's all irrelevant. What I really want to know is who you voted for as M&M flavor?

Offline libertybele

That's all irrelevant. What I really want to know is who you voted for as M&M flavor?

...hmmm...and a chance to win $100,000!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGeGQQi6tYw
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Mesaclone

The applicable term for these turncoats is Establishment RINO's. They are in this case directly supporting Hillary, those of them who cannot fully stomache supporting her have formed the NeverTrump movement...the Bush/Romney/Kristol axis. It's quite sad.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

HAPPY2BME

The applicable term for these turncoats is Establishment RINO's. They are in this case directly supporting Hillary, those of them who cannot fully stomache supporting her have formed the NeverTrump movement...the Bush/Romney/Kristol axis. It's quite sad.

============================

And 100% predictable. You can set a clock by it - a time bomb.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

You have proof of this?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
============================

And 100% predictable. You can set a clock by it - a time bomb.

Time bomb? You mean like Trump's mouth and the unpredictability of what hes gonna say next?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Mesaclone

You have proof of this?

Romney is the guy who worked the hardest to stop Trump...he is the crowned prince of the NeverTrump movement. What proof beyond that is needed....let me answer for you...none. Jeb Bush...well 'nuff said.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Suppressed

Wrong.

Some are principled conservatives who believe even Hillary is less dangerous than Trump.

Read of Alan Steinberg's conservative credentials here:
https://www.tedcruz.org/news/alan-steinberg-endorses-ted-cruz-for-president/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Romney is the guy who worked the hardest to stop Trump...he is the crowned prince of the NeverTrump movement. What proof beyond that is needed....let me answer for you...none. Jeb Bush...well 'nuff said.

Why didn't you just say you had no proof and be done with it?

Offline Vulcan

He still does...that's why he's the Republican nominee, to guarantee her victory. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:02:50 am by Vulcan »

Offline Hoodat

You seem upset that they were willing to support a Democrat, but not your Democrat.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline aligncare

Suddenly #NeverTrump wants proof to back up claims? :silly:

Says #NeverTrump MUTA's. Masters of Unsubstantiated Trump Allegations!

Offline aligncare

#NeverTrump claims everything from Trump's a pediphile, to Trump's part of the Russian mob, to Trump is Hillary's stalking horse!

I'd be embarrassed to tag my posts with #NeverTrump! That would be an admission of ignorance!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Suddenly #NeverTrump wants proof to back up claims? :silly:

Says #NeverTrump MUTA's. Masters of Unsubstantiated Trump Allegations!

I've never once said nevertrump so your stupid childish insinuation that one or some of us want proof to back up a posters claim that because we have questions about Donny we're in cahoots with Romney is something new is just dumb.

Someone makes a claim like that I have always...no matter what forum I post on told that person to back up their claim.

This isn't TOS you have to act like an adult here.

Offline Hoodat

I volunteer to perform the lobotomy.  I'm perfect for the job as I've never, ever, held a scalpel before or conducted surgery.

(Any Terry Gilliam fans out there?)
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-