Author Topic: Air Force Boss Wary of Proposal for New Close-Air Support Jets  (Read 192 times)

rangerrebew

Air Force Boss Wary of Proposal for New Close-Air Support Jets
Valerie Insinna, Defense News 4:36 p.m. EDT July 26, 2016
A-10s enter Estonia in support of OAR

WASHINGTON — While some Air Force officials have begun thinking about replacing the A-10 Warthog, including a new proposal that would involve buying two aircraft types, the service's top civilian leader on Tuesday questioned the affordability of such an endeavor.

During a Defense One event Tuesday morning, Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James said she had not been briefed on any potential options or an acquisition strategy related to a new close air support (CAS) aircraft, dubbed A-X. One of the options the service is perusing is the purchase of two CAS aircraft meant to augment and eventually replace the A-10.

"So far I have read about this in the news. I have not actually seen a proposal on any of this that has come forward to me. So it sure is pre-decisional. It hasn't been decided on,” she said. “Where would we get the money? Not at all clear to me.”

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/air-space/air-force/2016/07/26/deborah-lee-james-air-force-secretary-budget-a10-warthog-ax/87578930/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:24:07 am by rangerrebew »