Author Topic: Trump Abandons Last Vestiges of Conservatism, Promises a Considerable Hike in Minimum Wage  (Read 11888 times)

Offline Hoodat

My great niece is in grad school (getting her Masters) but had until recently been working part time at a local retail department store at the customer service counter to help her with school and living expenses. Her hours were cut back to under 10 hours a week and then a few weeks ago her job was eliminated completely. My great nephew who just graduated from HS had been working at a national office supply store and had the same thing happen to him – his hours were drastically cut back and then his job eliminated. Fortunately, he landed an entry level corporate IT support job but the company he just landed a job at, is also a retailer and is evidently laying off and closing stores, so who knows if his job is in jeopardy or not.

Hey, all that matters here is that Trump is able to placate ultra-liberal Bernie Sanders' voters.  Conservative voters?  Not so much.

I have also noticed that both Giant and Weis Markets around here employ a lot of seniors and HS/college age kids as part-time cashiers and with them a fair number of disabled folks – Downs Syndrome, to do bagging and cart pick up, trash pickup, etc.  I am guessing these will be the first jobs to go.

Trump has already made it clear how much he considers people with disabilities.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Suppressed

@Frank Cannon  @CatherineofAragon
The mental gymnastics on TOS must be impressive right now attempting to justify this. I might lurk just to see how awesome the excuses are.

If you do go and expose yourself to that place, I thank you for your sacrifice.

My guess is that they've just ignored this news.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Hoodat

I'll help them out.

He was just joking.
It is going to happen anyway, it is best if Trump gets credit for it.
He is a master deal maker, the Democrats want 15, he is negotiating them down by throwing out 10.
He was taken out of context.
You are lying.
You are a poo poo head.
You just want Hillary to win by posting this.

You nailed it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Fantom

So if minimum wage increases 50% ... I guess all wages will do so too.

Problem is folks...obama has printed a whole lotta "money".

At some point...that chicken is coming home to roost.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline JustPassinThru

Trumpy doesn't get that - not knowing much about economics.

He's gonna be taking ticking time bomb...the political equivalent of "Here, hold this a minute."

It's gonna blow up in his orange face...and he'll be blaming either Cruz or the Republican Party.

Offline Fantom

Trumpy doesn't get that - not knowing much about economics.

He's gonna be taking ticking time bomb...the political equivalent of "Here, hold this a minute."

It's gonna blow up in his orange face...and he'll be blaming either Cruz or the Republican Party.

Well, it is "sequestered" in 15 year bonds via the fed. The "obama" bubble will not explode for another 8-12 years.

9 trillion in direct debt from obama/progressives. And another 9 trillion in "printed" I:E "Quantitative easing" ... Printed money bought as bonds by the FED.

Nice scam .... if you are running it.  Print the debt/money... and buy it yourself/fed.

Unicorn farts.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Hoodat

Well, it is "sequestered" in 15 year bonds via the fed. The "obama" bubble will not explode for another 8-12 years.

9 trillion in direct debt from obama/progressives. And another 9 trillion in "printed" I:E "Quantitative easing" ... Printed money bought as bonds by the FED.

Do you really expect our government to pay back the FED and remove QE (i.e. the printing of the money) dollars from the money supply?

Not only do I believe these new dollars are here to stay, I believe they will continue coming until one day burning $1 notes for heat makes more economic sense than burning wood or coal.

Each year for the last eight years, our deficit has been funded exclusive by printing new money.  This is unsustainable.  It is the #1 issue we face today.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

I managed a major brand fast food restaurants, oversaw three locations for moderate size owner/operator, by moderate I mean that when I left he had 9 locations. In the twenty three years I worked for him we did not increase wages for the other employees, the operator did increase prices as much as reasonable without pushing customers away, the balance of the wage increase was made up by cutting hours, forcing fewer people to do more work and thereby eliminating positions of the least productive. I worked in construction, non union, for fourteen years after that and never once had my wages increased when the minimum went up.

What i find patently ridiculous is the idea that unskilled workers doing unskilled work are demanding and being told that they(here in CA and other states)deserve $15 an hour, a wage that is higher than journeymen in skilled trades earn.

Online LMAO

I thought I'd take a peek at FR to see what they say about this. Well, it's mixed. There are a few that are vehemently opposed to this but some of the comments that are trying to spin this are downright funny

Despite their attempts at spinning this as no big deal, the math says if you increase the cost of labor, you get less labor. Even the wise and powerful Trump cannot stop the law of economics or simple mathematics
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 05:50:44 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online GtHawk

I thought I'd take a peek at FR to see what they say about this. Well, it's mixed. There are a few that are vehemently opposed to this but some of the comments that are trying to spin this are downright funny

Despite their attempts at spinning this as no big deal, the math says if you increase the cost of labor, you get less labor. Even the wise and powerful Trump cannot stop the law of economics or simple mathematics
Usually it's politicians and idiots that have no experience with running a business that push for wage increases and deny it will put people out of work. Trump is supposed to be this brilliant businessman but instead he just shows himself to be another idiot politician. :thud:

geronl

Nice scam .... if you are running it.  Print the debt/money... and buy it yourself/fed.

Venezimbabwe, here we come!!

geronl

Usually it's politicians and idiots that have no experience with running a business that push for wage increases and deny it will put people out of work.

Actually a lot of major corporations have backed higher minimum wages for the same reason many backed ObamaCare, they thought it would destroy their competition.

I'm sure it'll all work out well. lol.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
I managed a major brand fast food restaurants, oversaw three locations for moderate size owner/operator, by moderate I mean that when I left he had 9 locations. In the twenty three years I worked for him we did not increase wages for the other employees, the operator did increase prices as much as reasonable without pushing customers away, the balance of the wage increase was made up by cutting hours, forcing fewer people to do more work and thereby eliminating positions of the least productive. I worked in construction, non union, for fourteen years after that and never once had my wages increased when the minimum went up.

I agree but I would also think that if someone was working a retail job and currently making $10 per hour -  because they’ve been there for several years, have received merit increases and a promotion, perhaps to being a “Team Leader”, not a manager per se but having additional responsibilities, that if the minimum wage is increased to $10 per hour and now someone coming in with no experience and with much less in responsibilities comes in making $10 per hour to start, someone that the $10 per hour Team Leader is training and supervising to some extent, that the person who is Team Leader at $10 per hour is going to feel shafted without some sort of increase or isn’t going to want to perform the additional duties and have the additional responsibilities.  That’s not to say that they are going to get an increase but they could certainly make the case as to why they should.

What i find patently ridiculous is the idea that unskilled workers doing unskilled work are demanding and being told that they(here in CA and other states)deserve $15 an hour, a wage that is higher than journeymen in skilled trades earn.

I know that a short time ago at my last job at a non-union manufacturing company, were among other duties I was the Salary Administrator, we utilized salary bands and every job was assigned to one. When we increased the base rate and range for say a Lathe Operator I (often because of area market rates or having difficulty staffing positions), that meant an increase of the salary bands for Lathe Operator II and Lathe Operator III.  That didn’t mean all the Lathe Operators II and III automatically got raises unless they were now below the new minimum for that job, but it was reflected in their annual merit increases – bringing them “to market”.

A minimum wage increase to $15 per hour for unskilled and entry level jobs will IMO certainly push up wages for skilled labor.  Perhaps not right away but it will happen. The labor market will demand it. Of course unless the additional labor costs can be offset by price increases, the costs will be absorbed elsewhere – in decreased benefits, finding cheaper suppliers and unfortunately sometimes of lessor quality, cutting positions or hours or eliminating OT, less spent in R&D for new products or for expansion, i.e. the creation of new jobs.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline goodwithagun

[attachment deleted by admin]
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Totally worth higher costs.

Offline Forum member

Take another peek over there is a few days. All those vehemently opposed posters will have been banned. Universal agreement!

Online GtHawk

Totally worth higher costs.

Yeah, love the sign. Just a bit on changing times, when I started managing McD's the store I worked in had 130 employees on the payroll and 90% or so was made up of working moms, grandmothers and high school students, we were a top producing location, high profits and kept everyone busy. in the 80's competition and wages increased which led to improved equipment and consequently reduced personnel, by the 90's working in fast food had become unfavorable to kids, looked down upon as a "shitty" job which led to the increased, almost complete staffing by Hispanics with poor english skills, which led too an even lower opinion of fast food employment and even more advances to equipment. So I'll get to where I was going now, when I left McD's the staff on schedule total less then 40 almost all with limited english skills, but the store was still bringing in a minimum of 40k a week. I personally got burned out having to do almost all of the management duties because even my managers and they were not all Hispanic were sadly lacking in, I'll say it intelligence. A minimum wage increase will do what it always has for the lower level manual labor jobs, not a damn thing, because it will be eaten up in taxes and increased prices across the board. There is only one way for people too increase their wages and standard of living..........education. Unfortunately most of the influx of illegals is made up of the ignorant and uneducated who never break out of that situation.

Offline Henry Noel

Do you really expect our government to pay back the FED and remove QE (i.e. the printing of the money) dollars from the money supply?

Not only do I believe these new dollars are here to stay, I believe they will continue coming until one day burning $1 notes for heat makes more economic sense than burning wood or coal.

Each year for the last eight years, our deficit has been funded exclusive by printing new money.  This is unsustainable.  It is the #1 issue we face today.

The global economy is absorbing it. In other words, poor people in other countries are paying for our sins.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Usually it's politicians and idiots that have no experience with running a business that push for wage increases and deny it will put people out of work. Trump is supposed to be this brilliant businessman but instead he just shows himself to be another idiot politician. :thud:
When you have a record of stiffing the contractors and subcontractors, what difference does it make to you what they pay the hired help?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
When you have a record of stiffing the contractors and subcontractors, what difference does it make to you what they pay the hired help?

The problem with Trump is that he's completely clueless about how the world works for the rest of us.

When he says things will cost a little more, I doubt he considers the fact that $20 more per month already causes a fair amount of stress for a family of 4 getting by on $1000 or less per month. After all, he probably spends more in the course of a normal day than most of us make in a year.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
The problem with Trump is that he's completely clueless about how the world works for the rest of us.

When he says things will cost a little more, I doubt he considers the fact that $20 more per month already causes a fair amount of stress for a family of 4 getting by on $1000 or less per month. After all, he probably spends more in the course of a normal day than most of us make in a year.

The same could be said of almost all candidates.  I'm not against success and don't really view his "money" as a reason not to vote for him.    His insanity, bullying, and lack of regard for anyone but himself are good reasons though.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline goodwithagun

The same could be said of almost all candidates.  I'm not against success and don't really view his "money" as a reason not to vote for him.    His insanity, bullying, and lack of regard for anyone but himself are good reasons though.

@Cripplecreek @driftdiver  :amen: to both comments!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

Well you promise to pay and that makes them happy.  Then you only pay 50-80% which makes  you happy.  They've already done the work so what do you care.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Henry Noel

His wife probably costs more than that per hour.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Take another peek over there is a few days. All those vehemently opposed posters will have been banned. Universal agreement!
You must remember Comrade Unity must be mantained. 

I shake my head when some folks (not pointing fingers) question the "purpose" of this site.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour